Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETCI Cert

Options
  • 07-11-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All

I am selling my house and have been asked for an ETCI cert. I persume I should have got this when the house was built (7 years ago)?? I dont have it though and have no idea where to go and get it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

pama wrote: »
    Hi All

I am selling my house and have been asked for an ETCI cert. I persume I should have got this when the house was built (7 years ago)?? I dont have it though and have no idea where to go and get it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yes you should have been given one.
    Can you find out who wired it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

perhaps a periodic inspection report would suffice
    any registered contractor should be able to furnish one
    its a detailed 4 page report
    this would be etci approved

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pama

Thanks all

I suppose I could contact the building company who did the house. Maybe they would have it?

is it expensive to get a sparks to do one for me do you know?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    perhaps a periodic inspection report would suffice
    any registered contractor should be able to furnish one
    its a detailed 4 page report
    this would be etci approved

You might be correct, but there would be a charge for this. This report may show breaches of the newer regulations whereas the original ETCI cert would show that everything complied with the regulations at the time.

Thanks all

I suppose I could contact the building company who did the house. Maybe they would have it?

is it expensive to get a sparks to do one for me do you know?

If you can find out who wired it they are obliged to give it to you for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you would think a new pir would be more relevant than a 7yr old cert

i think maybe there's some confusion and they're asking for a new cert to confirm wiring is good
    i used to be asked all the time for certs for old properties changing hands

Thank You

2011 wrote: »
    You might be correct, but there would be a charge for this. This report may show breaches of the newer regulations whereas the original ETCI cert would show that everything complied with the regulations at the time.

yes,there would be a charge but if op is stuck this may be a quick solution

op,open up your meter cabinet and see has the contractor labeled the seal he put on the meter/isolation switch

if there is none then see are there reci or ecssa seals,they may be indented with a number to identify himself to the relevant association

M cebee wrote: »
    you would think a new pir would be more relevant than a 7yr old cert

i believe they are looking for this too

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

if you dont mind us asking ...whos looking for the cert

• Advertisement

hi

I dont mind you asking at all! The buyers of my house have requested it. Is it an unusual request do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

hi

I dont mind you asking at all! The buyers of my house have requested it. Is it an unusual request do you think?
    it's not unusual-i used to get asked to provide them by solicitors auctioneers etc.
    never did-i'd say most of them were bought with a brown envelope

i'd like to know if a registered contractor can issue a new cert here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

No he can not as he did not wire it. A periodic inspection report should suffice as the regs have changed since it was wired.

Advertisement