Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old not eating in evening

Options
  • 07-11-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Hoping for some help here. My little one is 10 months on Friday and up to now loved her food. But in the last few days she's gone off her evening food - normally veg puree or lentil puree. She's drinking her bottles but misses her food at this time. She does like to chew on a rusk and I know she's teething.

Just wondering what you give your little ones for evening food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sometimes mine would go through a few not so hungry days. Even now, dinner in the evening is her smallest meal. Sometimes she just has a bit of porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

pwurple wrote: »
    Sometimes mine would go through a few not so hungry days. Even now, dinner in the evening is her smallest meal. Sometimes she just has a bit of porridge.

Thanks pwurple, I can stop panicking so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

At that stage, my little guy would often seem to eat hardly anything for a few days, and then I would hardly be able to keep him fed for the next few days. On the days when he wasn't that hungry, I always found that finger foods were better - pieces of toast, fruit, steamed veggies. Anything he could feed himself made him happy!

aniascor wrote: »
    At that stage, my little guy would often seem to eat hardly anything for a few days, and then I would hardly be able to keep him fed for the next few days. On the days when he wasn't that hungry, I always found that finger foods were better - pieces of toast, fruit, steamed veggies. Anything he could feed himself made him happy!

I found that too. My wife gave her a rusk and she loved it. So I did the same tonight. Kept her happy and I was happy she ate something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

whitelightrider I'd highly recommend you and your wife read 'My Child Won't Eat' by Carlos Gonzalez. It's a revelation and a huge reassurance for parents. He basically says babies/toddlers/children won't starve themselves and just like adults they sometimes go off their food.

He also says that a 10 month old may eat less than an 8 month old, a 2yr old less than a 1 yr old etc because as babies get older they become less active so they instinctively know that they need less calories. It's the parents who can't understand why they're not eating more.

If you thought you worried and fretted when your little one was a wee baby then you're in for a shock because you'll worry a d fret even more now that she's eating solids. The worry just never stops!

• Advertisement

Folks, can I ask what you give as an evening tea? Ive been doing Veg puree and Lentil puree but I think my little one is getting sick of these to be honest. Just looking for something different for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

How about beans and toast?? I roughly mash the beans, and cut the toast into bite size pieces that she feeds to herself. She loves this, though I'm a nervous wreck watching her!! She's 10 months on Sunday, and I find dinner the most difficult meal. I swore I'd not use jars, but she won't have anything to do with homemade dinner whatsoever, I've tried everything:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Omelette, french toast, cheese on toast, beans on toast, pasta, mashed potato and something, crackers, biscuits (non sugary ones), fruit, yoghurt, fish fingers, chicken goujons. It really depends on how much he's eaten all day and how much time we have in the evening.

Edited to say he's now21 months but he's been eating these in some form or another since 8 months.

Excellent ideas folks - thank you! She loves bread so french toast might be a good idea. Might try that tonight. Or maybe an omelette. Hmm loads of options now.
    Thanks folks

Well tried some scrambled egg there and she was having none of it. Maybe she doesnt want her Dad feeding her anymore. Might try again a little later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My 10 month old has pretty much always fed herself whatever we are eating ourselves (within reason, only healthy, non processed food with no added salt etc) We just cut it into more manageable pieces for her. If you make the scrambled eggs chunky they are easier to pick up. I would keep with it. Once you know she is getting enough food during the day then the evening meal can be for her to explore textures and experiment with feeding herself?

Toast fingers are a great place to start. You can experiment with different toppings - my daughter loved hummus at the start. Now she likes cheese on toast with different toppings added (kind of like pizza on toast!) and french toast

Advertisement