Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expat from US: Best area for kids Cork County?

• 07-11-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

We might be relocating (very soon!) to Ireland and in need of some advice. My husband's office will be in Clonakilty at the Technology park.

We have two children ages 7 and 10. My question, is what area would be best suited for us to live?

Here is what we are looking for in order of priority:
    1. Good schools (big bonus is good sports programs)
    2. Outdoor activities - we are very "outdoorsy" - love fishing, biking, hiking, etc. Would LOVE to be on or near the water.
    3. Kids want to be in a neighborhood/area with other kids close by. They are used to having friends "around" all the time in their neighborhood in the US.
    4. Access to infrastructure - esp good doctors, good sports facilities/programs for kids, etc.

I am completely confused and also trying to figure out best way to find a house to rent. I have been looking on daft.ie and property.ie.

Thank you SO much in advance for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Schools here don't have "sports programs" as you might know them, but many schools play lots of sports,like gaelic football, hurling,rugby,basketball etc. Many schools also do swimming lessons in a local pool too.
    Clonakilty is a nice town, you have the wonderful Inchadoney beach on your doorstep and all the glories of west Cork on your doorstep.

Do you mean which is the best area in Clonakilty or further afield?
    Do you want single sex/mixed/Catholic/EducateTogether/Church of Ireland schools?
    You'll get a list of schools here:
    http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Cork-West-County
    it might be an idea to look at a few on this list and to check out their websites-if they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 howingtonsmith

Hi,

Thanks so much for this. Well, really we are open to possibly a southern suburb of Cork or also looking into Kinsale? Obviously, the closer to work the better but all other things listed come first.
    What does Educate Together mean? I did start looking at websites but it's so hard to see from just that...we really want to get some insider info. I probably would prefer co-ed, but I am open to any of those.

Bonnie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Educate together is not under the control of any one religion and does not teach religious doctrine, but does teach about religions.
    In reality most primary schools in Ireland have children of many or no religion,even if the school patron is of one paticular religion. There are no non denominational primary schools in Ireland.

Why Kinsale,as a matter of interest?

Educate together is not under the control of any one religion and does not teach religious doctrine, but does teach about religions.
    In reality most primary schools in Ireland have children of many or no religion,even if the school patron is of one paticular religion. There are no non denominational primary schools in Ireland.

Why Kinsale,as a matter of interest?

I just thought Kinsale might be a bigger town and a little closer to Cork when we need to go in the city?
    I really know nothing. I have searched and searched but having trouble finding kid- friendly neighborhoods near Clonakilty?? I found plenty on neighborhoods near Cork. I Almost wonder if it would be better to live in a southern suburb of Cork city?

I'm a Cork person but would choose Clonakilty or Kinsale over the city for kids.Kinsale might be more expensive rent-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I'm a Cork person but would choose Clonakilty or Kinsale over the city for kids.Kinsale might be more expensive rent-wise.
    Clonakilty, great town!

Well, that's what my gut tells me, too. Are there doctors, groceries, etc. or would I have to drive to Cork City for all of that?

Can anyone recommend a primary school in Clonakilty or neighborhoods so look in and/or avoid? I found a good house near Rathbarry??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It might be a good idea to post in the Cork County forum. There should be local people there who would have a better idea of primary schools in the area.

Will do. Thank you!!!

• Advertisement

Well, that's what my gut tells me, too. Are there doctors, groceries, etc. or would I have to drive to Cork City for all of that?
    It's a big town. by Irish standards, so will get most of what you'd need there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Make sure you pack a cloth cap and a clay pipe for your Husband ( get him to brush up on his whiskey drinking ) ,for yourself a shawl and some good shoes for the crossroads dancing , the kids wont have any shoes mind but they can play pitch an toss down Mrs Macs laneway

Chipsdave, that's not helpful.Stay on topic please.

Aw, come on...I thought it was funny! ;)

Thanks to all for the advice.

Bonnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Chipsdave, that's not helpful.Stay on topic please.

Get a life,,
    btw Howingtonsmith hope you are good at riding a donkey .

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Chipsdave, your next infringement of the charter (you should read it, here) will result in a ban from this forum. Mod decisions can not be discussed on thread. PM if you have a problem with a mod's post.

Thanks

Advertisement