Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper Mario Sticker Star

• 07-11-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭

I know the guys in Arcade and Retro are talking about this, but it's time for a dedicated thread.

Paper Mario Sticker Star is out in the States this week (out here early December). It's getting strong scores, but not the 90%+ scores I was hoping for. More like a steady 80% average. Still a day 1 purchase for me, though. I absolutely adore Paper Mario games and this looks really clever.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As discussed over in A&R, I'm a pretty much incurable item hoarder when it comes to RPGs. The fact that the whole game seems to be revolved around carefully and frustratingly managing your one-time use stickers is already giving me heart palpitations. I love Paper Mario RPGs and their terrific sense of fun, but I worry the stress will just be too much in this particular outing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've only played part of the way through Super Paper Mario on the Wii. Not sure what to expect of this game. I'd like to see a demo on the eShop but I doubt that will happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Wii game was very different to the rest of the series, and not all that good.

Got a very positive review from Jeremy Parish:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/paper-mario-sticker-star-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Wii game was very different to the rest of the series, and not all that good.

Got a very positive review from Jeremy Parish:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/paper-mario-sticker-star-review

I still loved it, but The Thousand Year Door was better.
    Really looking forward to Sticker Star!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This looks fantastic, a well crafted game and innovative as well....

what's that sound everyone?

that quiet crying noise?

Oh, it's a Vita owner wishing he (or his mammy) had bought him a 3DS instead, poor blighter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The thing i never quite understood was with nintendo they would use their first party developer team to make handheld games but with sony they dont do that.
    They will just use their b team to make their handheld games. Other than project siren team making gravity rush which is one of the reasons i want to own a vita, sony really need to start treating their handhelds like they do with their consoles .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've played for an hour this morning and I LOVE IT so far. It's clever, funny and innovative. I haven't run out of stickers yet, and I haven't had to backtrack, so we'll see if I still feel the same way after another few hours. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've been quite enjoying it. Lovely looking game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

There's a free sticker book that you can apply for if you register the game with club nintendo. If anyone who has the game isn't interested in getting the sticker book, could you PM me the scratch code that comes with the game? I'm getting the game in the post next week but the offer is open to the first 10,000 registrations and I'm afraid that I'll be too late by the time I get the game. I can send you my code once it comes, if you want the star points. :)

That World 1 level with the Rube Goldberg-esque mechanism (to get the gate) really put a smile on my face. Superbly done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

Enjoying the game but have to say that I am missing the RPG elements of the Thousand Year Door. I've had to back track a handful of times due to over use of stickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

starting to like the sound of this. Do Gamestop accept their own gift cards via the website? Knocks a big chunk off the price...

8 hours in, 2 worlds down (4 to go). Definitely getting my money's worth with this game.

Some poor design decisions mean I have to keep gamefaqs open on my phone while playing though (particularly for finding/using special stickers). Like the hoover and tap on World 2 (if you hadn't come across those stickers through normal play, you would be completely stuck). Same with the tablet fragments for World 2 - very well hidden, and wouldn't generally be discovered through normal play. The world 2 boss would have been impossible if I had not known about the
    Baseball bat
    which knocks him down from 300hp to 100hp and caps him at that. How are you expected to know that?

Bad design decisions, but still a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I finally got into this properly, new game. I am very much enjoying it, but I feel like some of its quite... I can't think of the word, unintuitive?

Advertisement