Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the obsession with Road closures !!!

Options
  • 07-11-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Every day on the news we hear of road closures and diversions, sometimes for whole days :confused:

For example in the unfortunate case in Laois the M7 was closed because of a search near the road.
    Every time there is a road crash, the Gardai seem to close the road for hours on end, Sometimes overnight, in some serious crashes roads are closed for 24-48 hours for investigations.

Why????

Why does it take so long to take some measurements and photograph an area?
    Why did they need to close the M7 due to an murder investigation NEAR it?
    Why does it take so long?

I have seen the aftermath of serious crashes in several countries and disruption is always kept to a minimum, investigations are completed quickly and efficiently. Full forensic examinations are done as quickly as possible, so that traffic is not interrupted.

Why not in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

mayotom wrote: »
    Every day on the news we hear of road closures and diversions, sometimes for whole days :confused:

For example in the unfortunate case in Laois the M7 was closed because of a search near the road.
    Every time there is a road crash, the Gardai seem to close the road for hours on end, Sometimes overnight, in some serious crashes roads are closed for 24-48 hours for investigations.

Why????

I have seen the aftermath of serious crashes in several countries and disruption is always kept to a minimum, investigations are completed quickly and efficiently. Full forensic examinations are done as quickly as possible, so that traffic is not interrupted.

Why not in Ireland?
    Since you are in Marbella, why is it bothering you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You are sound!

I apologise in advance if my death results in some minor inconvienience for you.

Investigations take time. I don't think it's an obsession. It's standard procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Am because crashes, murders and missing people having to be investigated! The m7 was closed due to a missing persons case!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

U.F.O crashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Staffing shortages, not enough of a skilled work force

Travel time for investigators needs to be included

Health & Safety other road users may be at risk

as for the M7 closure THEY WERE pursuing/investigating the murder of a young woman!! Have a little empathy I for one and I assume many others wouldn't mind having there route disrupted for something so tragic and serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

From seeing crashes in other countries you have experierance of how a investigation is handle right from the moment the car crashes to it being settled?

Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why????

You already answered that, note the area highlighted in bold.

Because they obviously don't have your forensic skills and analytical capabilities at hand.

See previous answer above.

Probably because a murder was committed near it.

If you only witnessed the aftermath, how do you know when the incident actually occurred and how long it has been going on for?
    Why not in Ireland?

Obviously because you're out of the country, depriving us of your much needed skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Since you are in Marbella, why is it bothering you?

I'm in Ireland this week
    benwavner wrote: »
    You are sound!

I apologise in advance if my death results in some minor inconvienience for you.

It is not always due to fatal crashes, I have seen them close roads for 6 hours when only minor injuries occur.

If you only witnessed the aftermath, how do you know when the incident actually occurred and how long it has been going on for?

well if you see it happening then its easy to know when

Obviously because you're out of the country, depriving us of your much needed skills.

your wit is amazing you should seek a career in comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You should post this in the Emergency Services Forum

• Advertisement

From seeing crashes in other countries you have experierance of how a investigation is handle right from the moment the car crashes to it being settled?

Amazing!

nope, but to simplify things for you, how can the investigation last a whole day, what can they be doing for 24 hours and more, I don't know exactly what it is that they need to do that takes so long. if somebody can explain please do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thinly veiled "we don't have roads in Mayo" thread.

benwavner wrote: »
    You should post this in the Emergency Services Forum

Done
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "we don't have roads in Mayo" thread.

ah but we do, we had Peee Flynn to sort that out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

nope, but to simplify things for you, how can the investigation last a whole day, what can they be doing for 24 hours and more, I don't know exactly what it is that they need to do that takes so long. if somebody can explain please do?

Not all traffic collisions are made equal. They don't close roads just for the craic, or to put people out. An investigation has to be completed before it's reopened, and it's up to whoever is leading the investigation to decide whether or not enough evidence has been gathered from the scene.

Furthermore, the cleanup can be fairly difficult.. not just a case of hosing down the road.

I arrived at the scene of one very very serious accident one day, multiple fatalities, and an absolute mess of a scene altogether. I wouldn't envy those charged with dealing with such things, or complain about them closing the road for a day or two due to what they are doing.

Because they are waiting on a victims medical state to be determined. If a person is out of danger the road is cleared, incident logged and things move on.

If a person dies, the road stays closed for a more thorough investigation.

I've never seen an incident of a road being closed for more than 24hrs with minor injuries being involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Because they obviously don't have your forensic skills and analytical capabilities at hand.

FYP - I think this would be more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

And I thought I was self-centered... I'm sure the last thing on the crash victims mind was that they slightly inconvenienced you on your journey.

Would you rather a quick investigation not done properly and end up with the wrong results rather than a longer investigation with more accurate results..?

james142 wrote: »
    And I thought I was self-centered... I'm sure the last thing on the crash victims mind was that they slightly inconvenienced you on your journey.

Would you rather a quick investigation not done properly and end up with the wrong results rather than a longer investigation with more accurate results..?

No, I'd rather a quick investigation done Properly. That's the whole issue. Every crash that is reported to the police should be investigated quickly and efficiently, weather there has been a fatality, injury or not. How often does somebody take a bang and feel fine initially but later find out that they have internal injuries or clots etc. From an insurance perspective a full report must be filed so that the people involved can decide who's insurance pays.
    They should not have to wait to see if a victim dies or not before deciding to do a thorough investigation, that is just ludicrous.
    I have also seen serious crashes with double digit fatalities where the location is an absolute mess, and yes the road was closed for about 5 hours while victims were removed. A full investigation was carried out and the Bus removed, the road reopened, all of the nessesary evidence was gathered and a successful Multiple Manslaughter conviction was the result. I know every situation is different, but back to my original point all that needs to be done can surely be done in a shorter period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

No, I'd rather a quick investigation done Properly. That's the whole issue. Every crash that is reported to the police should be investigated quickly and efficiently, weather there has been a fatality, injury or not. How often does somebody take a bang and feel fine initially but later find out that they have internal injuries or clots etc. From an insurance perspective a full report must be filed so that the people involved can decide who's insurance pays.
    They should not have to wait to see if a victim dies or not before deciding to do a thorough investigation, that is just ludicrous.
    I have also seen serious crashes with double digit fatalities where the location is an absolute mess, and yes the road was closed for about 5 hours while victims were removed. A full investigation was carried out and the Bus removed, the road reopened, all of the nessesary evidence was gathered and a successful Multiple Manslaughter conviction was the result. I know every situation is different, but back to my original point all that needs to be done can surely be done in a shorter period of time

I'm sorry but 5 hours? Keep dreaming boy! So your saying camped out at the scene and counted how long it took them to do their job?

Every situation is different and have different circumstances so just because one scene is cleared in a sufficient time for your approval doesn't mean that another scene has to be completed at the same amount of time.

james142 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but 5 hours? Keep dreaming boy! So your saying camped out at the scene and counted how long it took them to do their job?

Every situation is different and have different circumstances so just because one scene is cleared in a sufficient time for your approval doesn't mean that another scene has to be completed at the same amount of time.

No but, I did sit in the traffic jam behind it for several hours, it took over 4 hours to cut the 10 dead and 25 injured passengers from the wreck, one hour to clear the road, meanwhile the police forensic investigation and evidence gathering was completed.
    and yes of course every situation is different, but again here in Ireland these investigations seem to last for ever.

eg. a sibling of mine was in a crash 2 years ago involving 3 cars, one person broke a leg, another had wiplash injuries, damage was only to the three cars, no impact was made with the side of the road, all skid marks were clear on the road. but the road was still closed for 6 hours. Now can anybody tell me what sort of eveidence gathering is needed in this situation, At most Rubber samples are taken, skid marks measured, photos taken, location plotted on maps. The cars can then be removed and checked out at the Garda station, to see if there are faults etc.... how can this take 6 hours

Surely there is a set procedure to these investigations which is quick and efficient.

• Advertisement

No but, I did sit in the traffic jam behind it for several hours, it took over 4 hours to cut the 10 dead and 25 injured passengers from the wreck, one hour to clear the road, meanwhile the police forensic investigation and evidence gathering was completed.
    and yes of course every situation is different, but again here in Ireland these investigations seem to last for ever.

eg. a sibling of mine was in a crash 2 years ago involving 3 cars, one person broke a leg, another had wiplash injuries, damage was only to the three cars, no impact was made with the side of the road, all skid marks were clear on the road. but the road was still closed for 6 hours. Now can anybody tell me what sort of eveidence gathering is needed in this situation, At most Rubber samples are taken, skid marks measured, photos taken, location plotted on maps. The cars can then be removed and checked out at the Garda station, to see if there are faults etc.... how can this take 6 hours

Surely there is a set procedure to these investigations which is quick and efficient.

There is a procedure, and they carry it out, simple as.

No one here knows exactly what this involves. Every crash is different, simple.

They have to measure everything, take pictures, witness statements, victim statements if able. They have to mark and eventually collect any debris, for evidence. You can tell if a bulb is broken whether the car was braking or indicating at the time of impact.

Being methodical and getting the right result trumps getting the job done quick and making a mess of the investigation. After all it may have to go to court and any simple mistake could see the court case scrapped.

Advertisement