Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Barcelona match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't have time to go through thread just at the mo but has Barca fan and boardsie Xavi commented on his posts a couple of weeks back saying how poor Celtic are?

Don't worry, one of your buddies already sent around a few PMs right after the game. Obviously more important than just enjoying the win.

I stand by what I said, they are still a poor team and one result won't change that. What they do have is character and organisation and sometimes that counts for more on the day. Tonight they did a great job of proving that ability isn't everything so full credit for that, but the result is the exception rather than the norm so let's not get *too* carried away.

I already posted in the thread, don't worry. You can enjoy the rest of your night without the thought of that eating away at you now :)

Btw, I don't support Barca and never have ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Melion wrote: »
    One result won't change that, it won't change the fact they have lost games in the spl this season. Does that make Dundee better than Barca?

It's a little bit sickening the way some folks on this board still attempt to shite all over what is a fantastic result not just in Celtic's history but in football in general. The home team were 10/1 to win today. They played one of the most decorated teams in world football, and arguably the best the world has seen. What's wrong with letting people enjoy that without sniping or pedantry? Honestly. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

:confused:

They are a poor team, no need to get confused.

cson wrote: »
    It's a little bit sickening the way some folks on this board still attempt to shite all over what is a fantastic result not just in Celtic's history but in football in general. The home team were 10/1 to win today. They played one of the most decorated teams in world football, and arguably the best the world has seen. What's wrong with letting people enjoy that without sniping or pedantry? Honestly. :(

It was an excellent result, no doubt about that and I wouldn't dream of saying otherwise. But if I was a Celtic fan I'd be asking myself why they aren't steam rolling SPL teams every week if they are capable of performances like tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Funny guy. They're a whisker away from being in the last 16 of the UCL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

A poor team doesn't run Barca close at the Camp Nou, and doesn't beat them at home in the Champions League.

karma_ wrote: »
    A poor team doesn't run Barca close at the Camp Nou, and doesn't beat them at home in the Champions League.

And a good team wouldn't lose in the spl

Funny guy. They're a whisker away from being in the last 16 of the UCL.

I may be wrong but don't they need to win another 2 games to guarantee it? Not quite a whisker away

But equally a good team doesn't throw away a two goal lead at home to Dundee United and lose at home to Kilmarnock for the first time in 60 years.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I stand by what I said, they are still a poor team and one result won't change that. What they do have is character and organisation and sometimes that counts for more on the day. Tonight they did a great job of proving that ability isn't everything so full credit for that, but the result is the exception rather than the norm so let's not get *too* carried away.

If you want to talk about poor teams you should head back over to the City forum. Football is a team sport, and organisation counts more than the skills of the individual.

• Advertisement

Alright Buzz, no point proceeding further with reasoned debate with yourself then so.

If you want to talk about poor teams you should head back over to the City forum. Football is a team sport, and organisation counts more than the skills of the individual.

So you really, honestly, deep down think that Celtic are a better side than Man City?

But equally a good team doesn't throw away a two goal lead at home to Dundee United and lose at home to Kilmarnock for the first time in 60 years.

Sure you could make the very same argument about the team we follow, are we a poor team because we couldn't beat a promoted side last weekend?

Can you give me an example of a good team? I'd like to know what you're gauging Celtic against!

Or are you just trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

says who?

Hey I'm just addressing the small time call out from your buddies. If my presence wasn't requested both publicly and privatelty I wouldn't have posted here :)

Can you give me an example of a good team? I'd like to know what you're gauging Celtic against!

Or are you just trolling...

Barca, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, United, Chelsea and so on. Celtic, despite tonight, are nowhere even close to that level.

Sure you could make the very same argument about the team we follow, are we a poor team because we couldn't beat a promoted side last weekend?

And that's why taking results in isoaltion, like tonight's, means nothing. It boils down to opinions - I think Celtic are poor, others don't.

Beating Barca tonight isn't an open and shut case for the defence, yet you'd think it is with the high horsing going on.

Barca, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, United, Chelsea and so on. Celtic, despite tonight, are nowhere even close to that level.

Hilarious that you included Barcelona even though we just played them twice :pac:

• Advertisement

And that's why taking results in isoaltion, like tonight's, means nothing. It boils down to opinions - I think Celtic are poor, others don't.

Beating Barca tonight isn't an open and shut case for the defence, yet you'd think it is with the high horsing going on.

But your opinion is blatantly wrong as the result is not in isolation. Both the Celtic performances against Barca have been good. A poor team is just not capable of that against the best team in the world. I think yourself and other posters are underestimating what Lennon has done with that squad, I think he deserves credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Hilarious that you included Barcelona even though we just played them twice :pac:

Barcelona are the best team in the world.

Hey I'm just addressing the small time call out from your buddies. If my presence wasn't requested both publicly and privatelty I wouldn't have posted here :)

Fair enough, but you posted in the initial thread without your presence specifically being requested.

So you really believe that Celtic are on a par with Barcelona? Celtic who drew 2-2 with Dundee United last week? Really?

[-0-] wrote: »
    Barcelona were the best team in the world.

FYP

They no longer are as strong as they were under Pep. They won't win the CL for a while again imo

FYP

They no longer are as strong as they were under Pep. They won't win the CL for a while again imo

They will win it multiple times before a Celtic team even get close to the final.
    And just out of interest, who are better than them? Unbeaten in La Liga so far this season iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Good point, thus it must be a very bad team who can't beat a poor team like that, especially when you can have Villa and Fabregas on your bench :rolleyes:

So you really believe that Celtic are on a par with Barcelona? Celtic who drew 2-2 with Dundee United last week? Really?

You're using the score of one game between Celtic and Dundee United to compare the two teams.

What was the score over the two games between Barcelona and Celtic?

But your opinion is blatantly wrong as the result is not in isolation. Both the Celtic performances against Barca have been good. A poor team is just not capable of that against the best team in the world. I think yourself and other posters are underestimating what Lennon has done with that squad, I think he deserves credit.

:confused: Poor teams are capable of shock results.
    Fair enough, but you posted in the initial thread without your presence specifically being requested.

It's an open forum so yep I did. Why? Because I don't like Celtic and wanted to see them pumped.

They weren't and, as I've already said a couple of times, deserve massive credit for the shift they put in for both games. I've also said over and over that teams who defend resolutely with character and discipline are as good to watch as those who play the wanky tiki taka stuff.

I enjoyed Celtic's efforts (I saw the last 35 minutes) and it was superb. Doesn't change my overall opinion but at least I can see past that and give credit where it's due eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

If only there was some way to rank these teams or something. I guess we'll never really be able to know who is the best until we get a Dundee vs Barca grudge match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Celtic play as a team...they fight for the shirt they wear as shown tonight and in previous Champions League games this season.
    thats the difference between Celtic and City,City have the better individual players but they dont play as a team.

• Advertisement

markie29 wrote: »
    Celtic play as a team...they fight for the shirt they wear as shown tonight and in previous Champions League games this season.
    thats the difference between Celtic and City,City have the better individual players but they dont play as a team.

They won the ****ing premier league last season, Jesus Christ.

You're using the score of one game between Celtic and Dundee United to compare the two teams.

What was the score over the two games between Barcelona and Celtic?

I'm using that result in the same way people are trying to put Celtic and Barca on the same level because of one result tonight. It's easy y'see.

:confused: Poor teams are capable of shock results.

It's an open forum so yep I did. Why? Because I don't like Celtic and wanted to see them pumped.

They weren't and, as I've already said a couple of times, deserve massive credit for the shift they put in for both games. I've also said over and over that teams who defend resolutely with character and discipline are as good to watch as those who play the wanky tiki taka stuff.

I enjoyed Celtic's efforts (I saw the last 35 minutes) and it was superb. Doesn't change my overall opinion but at least I can see past that and give credit where it's due eh?
    Fair enough, I do have a lot of respect for you for coming back on here! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Don't worry, one of your buddies already sent around a few PMs right after the game. Obviously more important than just enjoying the win.

I already posted in the thread, don't worry. You can enjoy the rest of your night without the thought of that eating away at you now :)

Btw, I don't support Barca and never have ;)

A poor team compared to who ? City ? :P

Celtic seem to be doing alrite in the champions league so far... for a "poor" team.

I'm using that result in the same way people are trying to put Celtic and Barca on the same level because of one result tonight. It's easy y'see.

Yes, yes. You're saying it's a one-off. I think it's not. Barcelona beat Spartak by the same margin as Celtic did.

I'm not claiming Celtic are the best team in Europe, but they have the matching of Barcelona at this particular point. That probably reflects more on Barcelona than it does on Celtic.

To answer your earlier question, I think United are going strong so far and should be there or thereabouts at the end of the CL campaign. Bayern and Shakhtar, as outsiders, are the other teams I would watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes, yes. You're saying it's a one-off. I think it's not. Barcelona beat Spartak by the same margin as Celtic did.

I'm not claiming Celtic are the best team in Europe, but they have the matching of Barcelona at this particular point. That probably reflects more on Barcelona than it does on Celtic.

To answer your earlier question, I think United are going strong so far and should be there or thereabouts at the end of the CL campaign. Bayern and Shakhtar, as outsiders, are the other teams I would watch.

I'm defintiely not sure about the 'matching' of Barcelona. If the first match finished 4-0 it would have been a fair result, had a lot of luck in that match. Tonight Forster made some good saves. Not trying to take it away, but don't over analyse 2 results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

They won the ****ing premier league last season, Jesus Christ.
    Doesn't say much for the premier league does it, when they are dreadful in the champions league. They'd bite your hand off for a win against anyone, never mind Barcelona.
    The crappy, woeful little team from Scotland have won two games in the CL, the super duper EL champs have won none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Came in here hoping to follow on from the good vibes after watching the game earlier with my old man.......and I run into a few pages of border line trolling and ignorance.

If Man City/Utd had just beaten Barca at home tonight, and a few came in and said "Ya, but they're still a poor team", it would turn into a mess.

The club have arguably just had their 2nd biggest result in their history, where they have just performed incredibly well in 180 mins against the best club on the planet........ and we're bloody talking about how poor they are? Christ.

The logic some of you are using is shocking too. Can't beat Dundee/Kilmarnock = poor poor team. City have just been outclassed in all 4 of their CL games, 2 of those to Ajax......who by modern European standards are considered a relatively 'poor' team. They also drew 0-0 with West Ham.

You have picked a few results in isolation and deemed them to be poor as a result, yet we're not allowed to draw any conclusions from the Barca fixtures? How does that work?

Celtic are competing on all fronts. They are top of their own league, and are fantastically placed to qualify from their CL group. What more do you want??

Someone mentioned seeing them for 35 mins tonight. Have you seen any other performances from them?

As a comparison.....Shakhtar Donetsk are on top of their own league, and also stand a good chance of qualifying. They are far from a poor team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm not a Celtic fan. I don't like them. Never have, never will.

But tonight, it was just a bit magic. I love an underdog. And after what happened to them in the Nou Camp, I sincerely hoped they would pull a similar performance and hopefully get something from it.

I couldn't help but be delighted and I actually had tears in my eyes towards the end (Rod Stewart, anyone?). It was incredible. I know a lot of Celtic fans, and the joy they're feeling is palpable.

Fair play to the Bhoys tonight. The team did themselves and their fans proud and they will rightfully look back on this as one of the greatest nights in the club's history.

Delighted for the team and for their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Celtic are hardly a poor side when they have put in two fantastic performances against arguably the greatest team in the world.

Barca are the barometer by which all sides should be judged, not SPL sides. Clearly they have underperformed against SPL competition but this does not make them a poor team. They would be a poor team if they were incapable of doing better than these domestic performances. The two Barca performances have shown they are quite clearly capable of doing better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

What a performance it was. The team were disciplined all night and weren't fazed at all. Brown, Forrest, Hooper and Izzaguire were all recent injuries, all the players who came in were brilliant.
    Very impressed with the patient defending , it's something we don't do at all but we seemed like veterans of it, comfortable in letting them have possession while we kept our shape.

Wanyama - Brilliant.
    Forster - Another outstanding performance.
    Matthews - Immense. Playing on his wrong side and wouldn't have started if Izzy wasn't injured.
    Wilson - Take a bow. He was slated in the past few months and look at him now.
    Tony Watt - He got one chance and didn't he take it well :D Delighted for him.

Compare the budget of the two teams.
    Celtics defence for instance.

Forster - 2mill
    Lustig - Free
    Matthews - Free
    Wilson - Free
    Ambrose - 1-2mill

It really is heroic stuff.

Also have to say the atmosphere sounded amazing. Green Brigade's display was unreal.

It was an excellent result, no doubt about that and I wouldn't dream of saying otherwise. But if I was a Celtic fan I'd be asking myself why they aren't steam rolling SPL teams every week if they are capable of performances like tonight.

No you wouldn't. You would be enjoying beating the worlds best on a historic night for the club. Give it a rest ffs.

Celtic are hardly a poor side when they have put in two fantastic performances against arguably the greatest team in the world.

Barca are the barometer by which all sides should be judged, not SPL sides. Clearly they have underperformed against SPL competition but this does not make them a poor team. They would be a poor team if they were incapable of doing better than these domestic performances. The two Barca performances have shown they are quite clearly capable of doing better.

It's embarrassing that you and the other posters above have had to come out and say this.
    Xavi6 and Meillion, you've thrown your toys out the pram now. The last game showed you up but tonight is special. I bet you were squirming when Tony Watt stuck away the second :D

167704-celtic-hitkid-tony-watt-charges-off-to-celebrate-his-goal-which-in-the-end-won-the-match.jpg

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's embarrassing that you and the other posters above have had to come out and say this.
    Xavi6 and Meillion, you've thrown your toys out the pram now. The last game showed you up but tonight is special. I bet you were squirming when Tony Watt stuck away the second :D

167704-celtic-hitkid-tony-watt-charges-off-to-celebrate-his-goal-which-in-the-end-won-the-match.jpg

Lol brilliant! Get your moment in the sun and spend it trying to get one up on internet randomers. Nobody has done anything of the sort btw, just offered opinions that seem to have irked you :(, but if a bit of online gloating makes the night better for you then go for it. It's entertaining to see how many people take a few negative comments to heart :)

Funny thing is, that sort of e-penis growing is much more small time than any comments made by the people you're calling out :pac:

Lol brilliant! Get your moment in the sun and spend it trying to get one up on internet randomers. Nobody has done anything of the sort btw, just offered opinions that seem to have irked you :(, but if a bit of online gloating makes the night better for you then go for it. It's entertaining to see how many people take a few negative comments to heart :)

Funny thing is, that sort of e-penis growing is much more small time than any comments made by the people you're calling out :pac:

Ah the old "I'm above this internet craic", Throw in a few smiley faces to make you look cool and there's your reply. We're all "internet randomers" btw, have you just figured it out now?

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't believe you even have one. You were hoping to goad the Celtic fans if Barca did give us a hammering but It never happened, instead Celtic turned in two heroic displays yet you're still on here calling us "poor". To top it off City couldn't beat Ajax over two games. Nothing like some tables being turned, even if it's on the interent :D

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Ah the old "I'm above this internet craic", Throw in a few smiley faces to make you look cool and there's your reply. We're all "internet randomers" btw, have you just figured it out now?

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't believe you even have one. You were hoping to goad the Celtic fans if Barca did give us a hammering but It never happened, instead Celtic turned in two heroic displays yet you're still on here calling us "poor". To top it off City couldn't beat Ajax over two games. Nothing like some tables being turned, even if it's on the interent :D

What exactly is it you're looking for here with the late to the party call out? If it's anything other than what's in my previous posts in the thread then let me know and I'll do my best to appease.

Otherwise, you're wasting your time on someone that apparently doesn't even have an opinion and what's the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

the main thing is celtic left the game with maximum points and became (as far as i know) the first team to beat Barcelona in the 2012 2013 season...not bad for minnows from the east end of glasgow ;)

What exactly is it you're looking for here with the late to the party call out?

I'm looking for nothing, tonight have given me more than I could have ever expected :)

the main thing is celtic left the game with maximum points and became (as far as i know) the first team to beat Barcelona in the 2012 2013 season...not bad for minnows from the east end of glasgow ;)

First time Barca have been beaten away from home in the group stages since '06 I read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

So, yeah...Celtic were always going to struggle without Rangers in the SPL, they werent ever going to be able to survive with them gone. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

spiralism wrote: »
    So, yeah...Celtic were always going to struggle without Rangers in the SPL, they werent ever going to be able to survive with them gone. :pac:

Don't know who said that (not me anyway) but as someone just looking on I could imagine the exact opposite is true for Celtic?

Clearly Celtic will win the next three league's just by turning up and instead can concentrate on giving their best to the CL games. I can't imagine too many other teams will have that luxury this season (or the next two). A very good time for them to take advantage of it imho and I reckon you are looking at a team who could possibly get to the QF's this season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement