Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Barcelona match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

spiralism wrote: »
    So, yeah...Celtic were always going to struggle without Rangers in the SPL, they werent ever going to be able to survive with them gone. :pac:

Long term they will be affected domestically, the league will not be competitive which will affect tv money and attendances. Its not a night for being pessimistic though so enjoy the victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is quite clear that Celtic have mentally and physically put the SPL games into perspective to allow them to concentrate and perform in the CL. I was very annoyed with them throwing away the win against Dundee Utd but I couldn't care less if it allows nights like last night to happen. Long may that continue as Celtic will pick up the pace against the SPL teams later in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Not looked through the thread, just back fom the game minus my shiny android phone but absolutely delighted.

BARCAWHO???????????????????????

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=14jolt0&s=6

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

niallo27 wrote: »
    Long term they will be affected domestically, the league will not be competitive which will affect tv money and attendances. Its not a night for being pessimistic though so enjoy the victory.

How will it affect Celtic "long term"? The Rangers will have reached the SPL before any "long term" effects will be felt.

In my opinion, this is the perfect scenario. Celtic can hopefully make the CL group stages for most of the next few years, which will greatly increase their spending power.

PauloMN wrote: »
    How will it affect Celtic "long term"? The Rangers will have reached the SPL before any "long term" effects will be felt.

In my opinion, this is the perfect scenario. Celtic can hopefully make the CL group stages for most of the next few years, which will greatly increase their spending power.

Don't rise to them, just savour our moment and let them dwell in their greatest league in the world. We know we're no great shakes, but we're a TEAM and we believe in eachother.
    God bless Glasgow Celtic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just seen Rod Stewart on SSN and I must say it was emotional.

Celtic should be very proud of themselves with the show they put on last night. From the stadium build up, YNWA, Celtic roar, stunning performance, result and pure emotion.

Everything in 90mins that sums up why we all love this game.

Well done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Amazing balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A non competitive league and less tv money will of course affect them, how can you dispute this, it will take rangers a long time to get back to being competitive again. What happens if Celtic fail to get qualify for the group stages next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Melion wrote: »
    It was an excellent result, no doubt about that and I wouldn't dream of saying otherwise. But if I was a Celtic fan I'd be asking myself why they aren't steam rolling SPL teams every week if they are capable of performances like tonight.
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Don't know who said that (not me anyway) but as someone just looking on I could imagine the exact opposite is true for Celtic?

Clearly Celtic will win the next three league's just by turning up and instead can concentrate on giving their best to the CL games. I can't imagine too many other teams will have that luxury this season (or the next two). A very good time for them to take advantage of it imho and I reckon you are looking at a team who could possibly get to the QF's this season.

Ignorance of the highest order tbh. SPL sides try to do what Celtic did to Barcelona every week in the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Don't know who said that (not me anyway) but as someone just looking on I could imagine the exact opposite is true for Celtic?

Clearly Celtic will win the next three league's just by turning up and instead can concentrate on giving their best to the CL games. I can't imagine too many other teams will have that luxury this season (or the next two). A very good time for them to take advantage of it imho and I reckon you are looking at a team who could possibly get to the QF's this season.

That would be my opinion. League can be won in second/third gear, (im not being arrogant/ignorant but we still lead despite being fairly off the pace domestic form wise) one of the others who normally wouldnt climb so high gets second and Celtic are able to make the best possible go at a Euro run. One reason why Scottish teams have so often struggled in europe is that the margin of error is tiny. Often its only one of the former big two that gets in and they have to go off to the likes of Inverness that saturday and pick up three points after a Euro away and if not it was key ground lost in the title run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

niallo27 wrote: »

other teams in the SPL are being affected atm such as hearts who are in administration, who's game against dunfermline is being brought forward, other teams in the spl will struggle financially as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Great win Celtic. Didn't get to see the match but just came across these stats, are these accurate?

aYFRj.jpg

You're using the score of one game between Celtic and Dundee United to compare the two teams.

What was the score over the two games between Barcelona and Celtic?

they were poor against dundee utd and against kilie, despite last nights great result, they still need to get a result against benefica which will be very tough for celtic. if they lose there, they will be under serious pressure in the last game against spartak. all the good work will be undone. in a way benefica winning could be a bad thing , it just makes the group tighter.

it was a great result, performance from celtic

other teams in the SPL are being affected atm such as hearts who are in administration, who's game against dunfermline is being brought forward, other teams in the spl will struggle financially as well

When did Hearts enter administration? No game has been brought forward yet nor is there a request. Hearts have been mismanaged for years, its not really affecting other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

jester77 wrote: »
    Great win Celtic. Didn't get to see the match but just came across these stats, are these accurate?

aYFRj.jpg

There are different stats floating around the place. See below are the "OPTA" ones

photomdy.png

UEFAs official site has it as 72% - so you have 3 different stats there

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2013/matches/round=2000347/match=2009541/postmatch/index.html

Regardless, it appears Celtic set a new CL Record for a win with the least amount of possession :P

Whats with this obsession with possession stats? Goals win games, nothing else really matters

Dempsey wrote: »
    Whats with this obsession with possession stats? Goals win games, nothing else really matters

This is true, I was just commenting on the above lads photo though, showing how unreliable they can be....if 3 different sites can't agree on something simple.
    I dunno how they work it out or who the "official" stats site is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

True, goals are the only stats that matter. But I was amazed at the stats I posted earlier, I didn't see the game but they seemed a little unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

BBC had it at 34% for Celtic, really don't know why there would be such a difference between them all,

One stat stays the same wherever you look anyways.

When did Hearts enter administration? No game has been brought forward yet nor is there a request. Hearts have been mismanaged for years, its not really affecting other clubs.

i agree with you there , they have really badly managed but after reading this link this morning, they are in serious trouble atm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20241385

• Advertisement

i agree with you there , they have really badly managed but after reading this link this morning, they are in serious trouble atm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20241385

I created a thread about them yesterday and their current tax bill & problems. Im well aware of what is going on. They arent in administration nor are they rescheduling fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

by the way, if it's the 2nd best achievement in Celtic's history, what gets demoted?

European Cup or 9 in a row?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

SlickRic wrote: »
    by the way, if it's the 2nd best achievement in Celtic's history, what gets demoted?

European Cup or 9 in a row?

:D
    As achievements they are both more significant but I'd say it could be regarded as the second best result in Celtic's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There are different ways to calculate possession stats, and that's why you get different figures.

The BBC take it from the Press Association, who use a stop clock for each team. Opta calculate it by counting the number of passes each team has and dividing it by the total number of passes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's embarrassing that you and the other posters above have had to come out and say this.
    Xavi6 and Meillion, you've thrown your toys out the pram now. The last game showed you up but tonight is special. I bet you were squirming when Tony Watt stuck away the second :D

167704-celtic-hitkid-tony-watt-charges-off-to-celebrate-his-goal-which-in-the-end-won-the-match.jpg

I threw my toys out of the pram? How exactly? By saying that Celtic are nowhere close to the level of the elite clubs in Europe which includes Barcelona.

the main thing is celtic left the game with maximum points and became (as far as i know) the first team to beat Barcelona in the 2012 2013 season...not bad for minnows from the east end of glasgow ;)

Incorrect im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I threw my toys out of the pram? How exactly? By saying that Celtic are nowhere close to the level of the elite clubs in Europe which includes Barcelona.
    Would you not think it was a silly time to say that after they just beat Barcelona and having had a very close game with them just a week before?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Would you not think it was a silly time to say that after they just beat Barcelona and having had a very close game with them just a week before?

Not at all, Celtic are not even close to Barca, Real, United, Bayern etc. Anyone who thinks they are is deluded.

Congratulations on the win, but I wouldn't put it as a "historic" achievement to beat 1 team.
    We were beaten last year by the likes of Getafe, Osasuna etc. Barca aren't invincible, and I expect we'll lose a few more before this season is out too.

Every team is beatable, that's the beauty of football. Whether you think Celtic deserved to win or not, they still did, so well done.
    If you qualify from the group - that will be historic , and I hope Celtic do.
    The 2-leg knockout stages is what it's all about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The 2-leg knockout stages is what it's all about :)

It is and I was at Celtic Park and the Nou Camp when Celtic put Barcelona out of the UEFA Cup in 2004 but last night surpasses that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I may be wrong but don't they need to win another 2 games to guarantee it? Not quite a whisker away

You are wrong. They only need to beat Benfica.

You are wrong. They only need to beat Benfica.

Would a score draw in Benfica not take us through too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

If Barca beat Spartak then i think this is the case.

We could still be eliminated if Spartak beat Barcelona and us.

A draw in Lisbon would be a good result, and would tilt the odds of qualification firmly in our favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

is google broke?

Yes it was down (along with every other site except boards.ie) last night for about 20 mins ... and I just couldn't wait...

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yeah what happened Rangers ? why are they in the 3rd division??
    is google broke?
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Yes it was down (along with every other site except boards.ie) last night for about 20 mins ... and I just couldn't wait...

This little exchange, for me, highlights just how fantastic a win this was for Celtic last night.
    While it wasn't enough to put Dempsey in a good mood, it was still the first time in about 3 years that he has avoided the opportunity to talk about Rangers!

Stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

We could still be eliminated if Spartak beat Barcelona and us.

A draw in Lisbon would be a good result, and would tilt the odds of qualification firmly in our favour.

Surely a home win against Spartak would pretty much seal it, regardless of the result in Lisbon ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Surely a home win against Spartak would pretty much seal it, regardless of the result in Lisbon ?

Not if we lose against Benfica, and they then beat Barca. Unlikely scenario, but we'd be out on head-to-head results with Benfica (assuming we had beaten Spartak).

A score draw in Benfica would be a great way to go into the final game.

Eirebear wrote: »
    This little exchange, for me, highlights just how fantastic a win this was for Celtic last night.
    While it wasn't enough to put Dempsey in a good mood, it was still the first time in about 3 years that he has avoided the opportunity to talk about Rangers!

Stunning.

Yea, I was really going to talk about your shíte club in a Celtic match thread! :rolleyes:

Not if we lose against Benfica, and they then beat Barca. Unlikely scenario, but we'd be out on head-to-head results with Benfica (assuming we had beaten Spartak).

A score draw in Benfica would be a great way to go into the final game.

If Barcelona beat Spartak, and we lose in Lisbon, then Barcelona have the group won. Cue the reserves out against Benfica :( I think we need a result in Lisbon.

• Advertisement

Yea, I was really going to talk about your shíte club in a Celtic match thread! :rolleyes:

You're awfully touchy these days Dempsey.
    Cheer up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

35j9wur.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

A score draw and theres no way Benfica can finish above Celtic in the group. Spartak still could finish 2nd, but would have to beat Barca at home and then Celtic away, a tall order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Very impressed with Celtic last night. A defensive masterclass IMO. I was expecting them to be overrun by Barca, but well done to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

One result won't change that, it won't change the fact they have lost games in the spl this season. Does that make Dundee better than Barca?

Has anyone claimed Dundee are better than Barca? We might have been beaten Barca last night but no way would I ever claim that this Celtic side is better then Barca's side as that would be untrue.

However Xavi's claim that Celtic "are a poor European side" is equally as untrue.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Don't worry, one of your buddies already sent around a few PMs right after the game. Obviously more important than just enjoying the win.

I stand by what I said, they are still a poor team and one result won't change that. What they do have is character and organisation and sometimes that counts for more on the day. Tonight they did a great job of proving that ability isn't everything so full credit for that, but the result is the exception rather than the norm so let's not get *too* carried away.

I already posted in the thread, don't worry. You can enjoy the rest of your night without the thought of that eating away at you now :)

Btw, I don't support Barca and never have ;)

Haters gotta hate.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But equally a good team doesn't throw away a two goal lead at home to Dundee United and lose at home to Kilmarnock for the first time in 60 years.

Is it not quite logical to think that the mind's of Celtic players might be elsewhere in the build up to the biggest game of many of the player's careers knowing that in the end they'll win the league at a canter? The only thing on their mind would be staying fit and free from injury.

By your logic Man City are also a poor team given that they've lost games to Orlando Pirates and New York Red Bulls in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not at all, Celtic are not even close to Barca, Real, United, Bayern etc. Anyone who thinks they are is deluded.
    Lets have a look at recent stats then.

Celtic 2 Barcelona 1, Barcelona 2 Celtic 1. That looks like they are on the same level.

I don't think its fair to call anybody delusional that bases their opinions on the most recent games, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Celtic 2 Barcelona 1, Barcelona 2 Celtic 1. That looks like they are on the same level.

I don't think its fair to call anybody delusional that bases their opinions on the most recent games, do you?

United fan here...would hate to get Celtic in the next round.

Make no mistake, Celtic are there on merit. But because the SPL isn't called the "best league in the wolrd" every 5 mins, people are quick to label them shíte etc.

I would say Celtic are well able to compete in the champs league with the likes of Barca, Chelsea, United, Citeh, Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Might want to change your sig so about stats:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement