Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is taxigate?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

It seems that the term taxigate was all over Twitter and facebook the last couple of days, it seems to refer about something posted on the Sligo Champion facebook page but can't find out anything about it, so, what's all the fuss about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The first rule of taxigate, is never speak of taxigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

€37!?? Nuff said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Basq wrote: »
    €37!?? Nuff said!
    looked it up on a online taximeter he got 1.63 off with that:pac:

for a man who has his wages & accomodation all paid for by sligo im sure he could afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

rizzodun wrote: »
    It seems that the term taxigate was all over Twitter and facebook the last couple of days, it seems to refer about something posted on the Sligo Champion facebook page but can't find out anything about it, so, what's all the fuss about?

taxigate? what is it? it's a f**cking disgrace is what it is.
    and you can quote me on that too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thanks ding, and I'm in agreement, total disgrace, its an Irish mentality when you become successful in anything to instantly forget who you should thank for the support and opportunity. Seems there was plenty said about it, just couldn't find the story that started it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Moaning taxi drivers who feel the world needs to hear their plight? Who'd have thought?

Fodder for Joe Duffy. Dickheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Simple - Don't let him into your taxi again, I am sure he acted like a complete plonker no more than any other plonker that you would have picked up in town on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Not defending him, but coulda been a once off. Guy has been on the piss for the last 2 weeks after a seasons abstinance, so rationality is out the window. When the drink is in the wit is out as they say.

Or perhaps he was ripped off. This Irish Taxi Fare Calculator is telling me it's 21.3 km from Sligo to Riverstown which should cost €31.80 so maybe he was used to getting taxis at €30 to €32 and the extra fiver angried up his blood.

Still he acted like an arséhole so he's reaped what he sowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Plazaman wrote: »
    Not defending him, but coulda been a once off. Guy has been on the piss for the last 2 weeks after a seasons abstinance, so rationality is out the window. When the drink is in the wit is out as they say.

Or perhaps he was ripped off. This Irish Taxi Fare Calculator is telling me it's 21.3 km from Sligo to Riverstown which should cost €31.80 so maybe he was used to getting taxis at €30 to €32 and the extra fiver angried up his blood.

Still he acted like an arséhole so he's reaped what he sowed.
    I could be wrong but isn't it more expensive at night? There's a higher rate until about 8am in the morning...

.. well, there was at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

To be honest I don't think that's too bad a price. My mother had to get the odd taxi from Sligo to Ballinacarrow in the afternoon. It used to cost her 35 euro and this was a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

To be honest if he's got taxis before and he's pissed about the price he had paid maybe he shouldn't have drank and he could have driven home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Maybe people should hear his version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Moaning taxi drivers who feel the world needs to hear their plight? Who'd have thought?

Fodder for Joe Duffy. Dickheads.

Well the taximan was just doing his job, he brought Mr McGuinness home safe and didn't try and rip him off. It's his perogative whether to charge him what was on the meter or to have given him a discount. Abusing the driver was bang out of order.

I would have loved if he had a dashcam facing into the car and had all this recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 caseyjones01

Aren't we a great little country for slating someone when they get a bit too big for their boots.
    Give the guy a break for gods sake, he had a few drinks and got a bit mouthy. So bloody what.
    Let those without sin cast the first stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Aren't we a great little country for slating someone when they get a bit too big for their boots.
    Give the guy a break for gods sake, he had a few drinks and got a bit mouthy. So bloody what.
    Let those without sin cast the first stone

Doesn't matter if he was Joe Soap, Sligo Rovers Player, Chelsea Player or Barack Obama, whatever his reason he decided to go ballistic to an ordinary guy who provided the service he requested.

Roaring at the driver that he's an f-ing robbin b*stard and then waiting on the street to curse him out of it as he drives by again is more than a bit mouthy.

That's of course if it happened as we weren't there so I would agree with this also, there's two sides to every story.
    Maybe people should hear his version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Just wondering if it was ordinary Joe Public involved would the taximan still broadcast it on facebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Probably not Red Sean, and if he did it certainly wouldn't have received so much attention.

But that's the world we live in now, if you have any sort of profile you run the chances that your (alleged) behaviour will end up on the web.

To be fair to taxi drivers, they must have to put up with absolute sh1t every night of the week.

red sean wrote: »
    Just wondering if it was ordinary Joe Public involved would the taximan still broadcast it on facebook!

I agree Kettleson, I just think the way it was handled by the driver leaves a lot to be desired.
    We all have to take sh1t in our jobs but do'nt go crying to facebook.

That's for sure. :D
    I agree Kettleson, I just think the way it was handled by the driver leaves a lot to be desired.
    We all have to take sh1t in our jobs but do'nt go crying to facebook.

• Advertisement

Taxi!

"I hate my job because of people like ye".

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

if the champion didn't delete the post people probably would have cared even less. Hint of a cover up and the swords come out extra sharp!

overshoot wrote: »
    if the champion didn't delete the post people probably would have cared even less. Hint of a cover up and the swords come out extra sharp!
    I'd say the Champion deleted because it's unsubstantiated and brings a danger of litigation!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Id like to hear what Martin Brick has to say about this.

pancho84 wrote: »
    Id like to hear what Martin Brick has to say about this.
    Who's he?
    To be honest I think it's a non-story.

Advertisement