Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need for another supermarket in UCD?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Is there a need for another supermarket in UCD?

The Centra in UCD is too small for the volume of students in UCD, the queues are constantly massive, and the Tesco in Merrion is too far away for the amount of students.

I also find the staff in Centra ridiculously ignorant, but that's another story.

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Nah, it's big enough.

Another offy in the vicinity though...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

If you build it, they will come

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Firstly, Merrion centre is not far at all for Students. It is about a 10-15 minutes walk for students.

Secondly, UCD is located near Stillorgan (Which has Lidl and Tesco), Sandyford (Dunnes and Aldi), Dundrum (Tesco and Lidl) and Blackrock (Superquinn and M&S). Stillorgan, Dundrum and Blackrock are all around 30 mins by foot and less by bike from UCD.

There is no space in UCD for even considering the option of building a supermarket. You can't build a supermarket in O Reilly hall because you think the Merrion Centre is too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

13 I know you're not around at the moment, but centra is taking the piss these days. Queueing 20 minutes for a role. On the plus side OP, I hear the SU are hoping to have chicken fillet baguettes and general good stuff in the new SU shop by the dramsoc theatre in the new student centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Readers does rolls as well, as does Brava in the old student centre, plus (in my experience) you can avoid queues anywhere in campus by just going at off peak times. Like outside the 12-2 window, late in the hour, or during the summer.

I miss campus during the summer. =(

• Advertisement

No to be fair to him, it is bad. From 10 am right through the 5 pm the place is rammed. Its the only food on campus I can get that kinda tastes... fresh... if you know what I mean. Everything else just seems to taste stale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Fair enough. I mainly eat in Brava and Starbacks (or save myself the money and bring lunch), and those are grand enough for me, but YMMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There's actually a Supervalue in Mount Merrion, about 5-10 minute walk from Nova UCD gate with an off licence which very, very few students seem to know about at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

What about the two Spars that are on either side of UCD? Or Donnybrook that's a 10 minute walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

The spars are smaller and hence expensive.
    Depending on where you're living it can be quite a distance to a proper supermarket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ACBBFG

in what way are the staff ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Polar Ice wrote: »
    The spars are smaller and hence expensive.
    Depending on where you're living it can be quite a distance to a proper supermarket

10 to 15 minute walk max to Supervalue Mount Merrion from Fosters Avenue Gate/Nova UCD Gate (Roebuck, Merville, Glenomena all covered). It's hardly miles away like. Very few people are lucky to live within a 15 minute walk of a supermarket in Ireland. A 15 minute drive is more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If you're living on the Roebuck road near the Mosque it seems far to get to any proper store. You have a spar nearby, but it's small.

That supervalue in Mount Merrion is 25 minutes away from there and 25 minutes from the centre of campus (and they aren't in the same direction to make things easier getting home)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Spar and Centra are convenience stores and cannot be considered supermarkets.

Lads that spar at roebuck has been closed down for over a year now. And the one at Clonskeah is hilariously expensive. It's like 1:20 for a can of coke and 4:50 for a chicken fillet role. You get all that in town for like 3e, comes to more than a fiver in that spar.

I mean I appreciate people live far from food down the country, but its a campus of 22,000 people. Its a big town (the 7th biggest in Ireland I believe), it has a Cinema for Christ sake.

Its just frustrating, if you live in merville and you have no milk for your tea or something, and you just know its a gonna be a queuing, and packed and not too cheap. Belgrove could easily have its own profitable shop, staffed by students. Providing a service and making money for the college. Why not?

Advertisement