Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on CD Ripper

Options
  • 07-11-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need advice on a CD Ripper, but not for audio, just for data. I usually try download.com, but have noticed a lot of negative comments now on the site & now put off.

As i dont know if they're real or maybe from competitors? Does anyone use this site or is there a better site?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Hi all,

I need advice on a CD Ripper, but not for audio, just for data. I usually try download.com, but have noticed a lot of negative comments now on the site & now put off.

As i dont know if they're real or maybe from competitors? Does anyone use this site or is there a better site?

Thanks.

I believe Download (Cnet) is just a site where it lists a lot of different software in categories and it has user and critic reviews. You can use these to decide which is the best.

So I don't think it's an issue with the site, I find that site quite useful and use it a bit.

What exactly are you trying to do?

IMGBurn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

What exactly are you trying to do?

IMGBurn

I'm trying to make a copy of a data cd with personal files on it, i did come across IMGBurn here but clicked on the one at the top Daemon as it looked like the favourite, but a lot of negative reviews about the extras that came with it, but as i know you just uncheck the boxes, but some still got bundled with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I'm trying to make a copy of a data cd with personal files on it, i did come across IMGBurn here but clicked on the one at the top Daemon as it looked like the favourite, but a lot of negative reviews about the extras that came with it, but as i know you just uncheck the boxes, but some still got bundled with it.
    http://www.freewaregenius.com/how-to-install-freeware-cleanly-a-catalog-of-the-most-dubious-crapware-installation-methods/

One of them caught ya^^^.

Windows Media player will do it for ya.

Or can get Img from here, it comes with no extra crap bundled on.

http://www.freewaregenius.com/how-to-install-freeware-cleanly-a-catalog-of-the-most-dubious-crapware-installation-methods/

One of them caught ya^^^.

Windows Media player will do it for ya.

Or can get Img from here, it comes with no extra crap bundled on.

Yeah, they did, but as soon as i realised they were, it was uninstalled straight away, but found it harder to trust sites like that. As it took time to read all the reviews whether good or bad. But from now avoid the site all together.

Thanks for the link as it was very informative & found out that one of the authors weren't too happy with his product being 'wrapped' I'll check that site out as the author had also recommended it. Softpedia or Filehippo are two sites i forgot about & hope they don't go the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've used imgburn before, it works really well. Simple to use.

How do you know if you have a faulty cd-r, as the buffer is stuck on 74% when writing image to disc, as it created a .bin file & even if you click on that by mistake it tells you that you should have clicked on the .cue file & seems ok to write but still stuck on 74%.

It probably is a faulty disc, the name of the disc is TDK.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

OP - if all you want do do is to make a copy of some data files, there's no need to download any application to do this - the functionality is already built into Windows.
    Create a new folder on your hard drive to store the files.
    Insert the cd, open windows explorer, point to the cd directory (usually d: or e:), select all files in the cd directory (Ctrl+a), right-click and select Copy.
    In Windows Explorer click on the new folder you've already created, right-click and select Paste.
    This will copy the files from the cd to your folder.
    If you want to back them up onto a cd, it's exactly the same process, but in reverse.
    Insert a blank cd or DVD, copy the files from your folder to the drive letter associated with the cd drive.
    When the files are appearing in d: or e: , right-click in Windows Explorer on the drive letter for the cd, an select the option to Burn the files to the cd.
    TDK were brilliant in the old days at making audio cassette tapes, but I don't like their CDs or DVDs. Had more burn failures with TDK than any other brands, even when burning at very low speeds. I find Verbatim to be excellent. Others on the forum may also offer better advice.

Thanks for the tip, as it's been a while since i copied a cd as i'm more used to mp3's now & more used to burning data to a dvd with nero on my win xp desktop.
    As i was helping out someone that had no software on their laptop, as i had a box of TDK cd's given to me a good while ago cheap from the US & tried out one of them out as i had burn errors with Nero on mine, so was ideal to try on another machine & when it was hanging at 74% i thought ah well, there you go until that tip, so i'll hang on to them for another while.

Maybe it's trial & error with it, as that's the first good trial as the rest were all errors:)

Advertisement