Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a point in the right direction : )

Options
  • 07-11-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,i have never fished in the sea but i'm going to in a couple of weekends time.my mate has done a bit before?is there a good spot in clare we can go for beach or rock fishing.what should we hope to catch this time of year?what would be out best method to ensure not drawing a blank?spinning,float,deadbait?any advice would be great..thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

fffp wrote: »
    Hi,i have never fished in the sea but i'm going to in a couple of weekends time.my mate has done a bit before?is there a good spot in clare we can go for beach or rock fishing.what should we hope to catch this time of year?what would be out best method to ensure not drawing a blank?spinning,float,deadbait?any advice would be great..thanks in advance.

The fishing from the rock marks in North Clare will be dying off for the year now and the winter fishing around here has been described as brutal :( If you want to stick to the beach Lahinch is normally good for a few flounder with a small chance of a Bass and you can fish off the prom if the tide is in at night, its normally full of surfers during the day. There are still a few pollock around Black head and the normal marks but every day that passes there is less of a chance of catching them. What is it that you would like to target?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fffp

The fishing from the rock marks in North Clare will be dying off for the year now and the winter fishing around here has been described as brutal :( If you want to stick to the beach Lahinch is normally good for a few flounder with a small chance of a Bass and you can fish off the prom if the tide is in at night, its normally full of surfers during the day. There are still a few pollock around Black head and the normal marks but every day that passes there is less of a chance of catching them. What is it that you would like to target?
    Thank you for the reply..we have no particular species in mind..but if we caught something that would be great what about peir fishing?would that be a better bet?i won't get my hopes up but if we caught something it would be great...

Thank you for the reply..we have no particular species in mind..but if we caught something that would be great what about peir fishing?would that be a better bet?i won't get my hopes up but if we caught something it would be great...

I stick to North Clare because its on my doorstep and have never really fished the piers around here. The fishing down around the shannon estuary might be better coming into winter but its all bait down there. Take a look through the link, If the day you come is a bit rough most of the rock marks will be too dangerous to fish.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20clare%20s.htm

I stick to North Clare because its on my doorstep and have never really fished the piers around here. The fishing down around the shannon estuary might be better coming into winter but its all bait down there. Take a look through the link, If the day you come is a bit rough most of the rock marks will be too dangerous to fish.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20clare%20s.htm
    Nice one..were coming from killaloe so were not too far away..i suppose we could try a few different spots over the course of a day..the fantasy of a 5lb pollack is now gone lol.our local has frozen mackrel..i suppose some of them wouldn't go astray?thanks for the link.

Nice one..were coming from killaloe so were not too far away..i suppose we could try a few different spots over the course of a day..the fantasy of a 5lb pollack is now gone lol.our local has frozen mackrel..i suppose some of them wouldn't go astray?thanks for the link.

I havnt been out in over a week but there was still a few nice pollock around then, Its just that it is the time of the year for them to be headin off if you get me. Its never any harm to throw out a bit of mack, for flatties lug is the best I find around here and you always have the chance of picking up a bass with it on the right mark. There is a lot of reading in this and its mostly based in North Clare with some around the shannon esturary but its well worth a read through and if you send him an email he will point you in the right direction. His knowledge of fishing in Clare is far greater than mine.

http://baitdigger.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement

I havnt been out in over a week but there was still a few nice pollock around then, Its just that it is the time of the year for them to be headin off if you get me. Its never any harm to throw out a bit of mack, for flatties lug is the best I find around here and you always have the chance of picking up a bass with it on the right mark. There is a lot of reading in this and its mostly based in North Clare with some around the shannon esturary but its well worth a read through and if you send him an email he will point you in the right direction. His knowledge of fishing in Clare is far greater than mine.

http://baitdigger.wordpress.com/
    All is not lost so..i'm excited to say the least, maybe because sea fishing is alien to me..shur we'll give it a lash anyway and see what we can do..i'll post how i get on and where we went etc.thanks for this link also,looks to be some good reading.

All is not lost so..i'm excited to say the least, maybe because sea fishing is alien to me..shur we'll give it a lash anyway and see what we can do..i'll post how i get on and where we went etc.thanks for this link also,looks to be some good reading.
    We went sunday and had a blast caught nearly 50 pollock on feathers these were mostly small bait fish seven were keeper size we took two for the pot. Overall it was a great day.we fished down near fanore at the end of the markers in a field with a boat ramp in it.it was easy to fish from there.we lost something on a rig with some thawed mackeral on it it was a good size.plus we seen a whale of some sort too...roll on the next day.

We went sunday and had a blast caught nearly 50 pollock on feathers these were mostly small bait fish seven were keeper size we took two for the pot. Overall it was a great day.we fished down near fanore at the end of the markers in a field with a boat ramp in it.it was easy to fish from there.we lost something on a rig with some thawed mackeral on it it was a good size.plus we seen a whale of some sort too...roll on the next day.

Fair play, nice to know you had a good days fishing. Ardkeen is the name of that place and to be honest I never fished it :o and I only live about 4 miles away. Had you just a strip of mackeral on or a whole fillet/flapper, there has been a few tope landed there!!

Fair play, nice to know you had a good days fishing. Ardkeen is the name of that place and to be honest I never fished it :o and I only live about 4 miles away. Had you just a strip of mackeral on or a whole fillet/flapper, there has been a few tope landed there!!
    We used half a side per hook on a two hook rig so it would be more of a fillet i suppose.threaded the hook trough a couple of times and that was it.caught the few bigger pollock closer in using salmon lures and a german spratt lure i think it was.we might try up along the markers the next time and see how we get on..or maybe the beach.it was some crack.i wonder what a pollock would be like on the fly?i'd say we got lucky to have had such a good day,for november it was fairly mild.i wonder what the beach will be like?

We used half a side per hook on a two hook rig so it would be more of a fillet i suppose.threaded the hook trough a couple of times and that was it.caught the few bigger pollock closer in using salmon lures and a german spratt lure i think it was.we might try up along the markers the next time and see how we get on..or maybe the beach.it was some crack.i wonder what a pollock would be like on the fly?i'd say we got lucky to have had such a good day,for november it was fairly mild.i wonder what the beach will be like?

The beach can be very hit and miss but I always found it fished a bit better at low tide when its just starting to fill, I have had huss, lots and lots of small dabs and a very odd bass off it. Lots of weevers too so watch out for them. There isint that many bass in Fanore and they move over a long distance so can be very hard to find, its rare enough they are actually on the main beach in my experience. Funny enough I am fairly friendly with a lad who is obsessed with fly fishing for pollock and bass, He has loads of videos on youtube of fishing around blackhead/fanore/ballyreen and I have seen him have some great scraps with them. His name on youtube is surethingsfly . Dont be afraid to stray off the beaten track...some of the better marks are the ones nobody knows about ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Lads a couple of things

1) when ye refer to flatties what are we talking about ?? and what kind of bait are we talking about

2) what about cod from the shore in North Clare or West clare

The beach can be very hit and miss but I always found it fished a bit better at low tide when its just starting to fill, I have had huss, lots and lots of small dabs and a very odd bass off it. Lots of weevers too so watch out for them. There isint that many bass in Fanore and they move over a long distance so can be very hard to find, its rare enough they are actually on the main beach in my experience. Funny enough I am fairly friendly with a lad who is obsessed with fly fishing for pollock and bass, He has loads of videos on youtube of fishing around blackhead/fanore/ballyreen and I have seen him have some great scraps with them. His name on youtube is surethingsfly . Dont be afraid to stray off the beaten track...some of the better marks are the ones nobody knows about ;)

got on to him sound bloke gave a few pointers and all.his videos are very good.thanks for the info.all i need now are a few mild days....can't wait to get out again.: )

haybob wrote: »
    Lads a couple of things

1) when ye refer to flatties what are we talking about ?? and what kind of bait are we talking about

Id say by flatties he mean ray,plaice,flounder,skate etc.bait wise i don't know only learning the crack myself.

No bother, I was actually down with him for a while today and he said you were on to him, hes as sound as a bell. When your coming up again send me a pm and if I am around I can show you a few good haunts.

Lads a couple of things

Flatties would be Flounder, dabs, Plaice and the very odd turbot or megrim in the right spot. As for cod I think they get a few back around Cappa pier in kilrush and the shannon esturary and I have sized up a mark near the cliffs of moher where they must come into feed but its a rare day in winter that it would be safe to fish so Im not holding out any great hope being honest.

Flatties would be Flounder, dabs, Plaice and the very odd turbot or megrim in the right spot. As for cod I think they get a few back around Cappa pier in kilrush and the shannon esturary and I have sized up a mark near the cliffs of moher where they must come into feed but its a rare day in winter that it would be safe to fish so Im not holding out any great hope being honest.

Thank you for the reply, Im a fairly experienced mackerel and pollock fisherman but have never been winter fishing if your so inclined you might give us a run down of what fish for and what bait to use

I have a feeling we might have tread the same path either fishing or at cattle marts

No bother, I was actually down with him for a while today and he said you were on to him, hes as sound as a bell. When your coming up again send me a pm and if I am around I can show you a few good haunts.
    Sound that'd be great.it would be grand to get a feel for it and fish a couple of good spots..another question if i may..you use the term flapper as bait..what is that?is it a flat square of mak?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Sound that'd be great.it would be grand to get a feel for it and fish a couple of good spots..another question if i may..you use the term flapper as bait..what is that?is it a flat square of mak?

It usually refers to a whole mackerel with back bone and tail removed, hence the fillets "flap"!

Thank you for the reply, Im a fairly experienced mackerel and pollock fisherman but have never been winter fishing if your so inclined you might give us a run down of what fish for and what bait to use

I have a feeling we might have tread the same path either fishing or at cattle marts

I have only started to move away from the mack's myself this year so it's fairly new to me too. I have been told that there does be a winter run of pollock but I cant say for sure. Congers, flats, doggies and bass if you can find them, I am sure they stay around. Like I said there must be cod coming near the cliffs but 99% of the time for the winter its too dangerous to even consider going there. I was thinking that myself when you had a thread saying you were going to kilfenora with shorthorns. Is there anything in particular that you want to catch? Is it Ballyreen that you normally fish?

I have only started to move away from the mack's myself this year so it's fairly new to me too. I have been told that there does be a winter run of pollock but I cant say for sure. Congers, flats, doggies and bass if you can find them, I am sure they stay around. Like I said there must be cod coming near the cliffs but 99% of the time for the winter its too dangerous to even consider going there. I was thinking that myself when you had a thread saying you were going to kilfenora with shorthorns. Is there anything in particular that you want to catch? Is it Ballyreen that you normally fish?

Gentleman thank you, I fished from Gleninagh as far as Quilty, what kind of bait would you use from flat fish and what kind of a place would you find them

• Advertisement

Holyboy wrote: »

It usually refers to a whole mackerel with back bone and tail removed, hence the fillets "flap"!
    Nice one.im learning all the time : )

Gentleman thank you, I fished from Gleninagh as far as Quilty, what kind of bait would you use from flat fish and what kind of a place would you find them

I have a feeling you are around ennistimon somewhere so off the prom in lahinch at night with lugworm is as good a place to be as any for flounder. As far as I know you can dig lug on the liscannor side of the estuary at low tide. In North clare you can dig lug in Muckinish Castle or at the spit at gleninagh.

Hooked 2 congers today but only managed to land the one below, had another fellow with me, he spent 3 hours spinning for pollock and wrasse and there was no sign of either of them in a place that has produced well for me.

photo-199.jpg

Lads what about fanore beach this time of year

Lads what about fanore beach this time of year

Havnt fished it lately but all summer I found it fished a bit better around low tide at night, try where the stream flows out first and if nothing is happening move down the beach a bit. Lug did the trick there all summer for me, the fish come in close at night and I mean close, I wouldnt bother even trying to cast over 50 yards any more there because there is no point. It doesnt seem to fish great in the daytime which might be down to the activity in the water there for a lot of the year. Like anything though you wont know for sure until you try.

Advertisement