Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get rid of rats in polytunnel

Options
  • 07-11-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Whats the best way of getting rid of rats that have set up residence in my polytunnel theres holes all over the soil where they go. I know theres poison but is there any other way. Also have a bit of a phobia about them id rather fight tigers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just been through the same thing and asked advice on another forum. I'd rather not kill them. Some people suggested humane traps but they are often not very humane in that they cause stress and sometimes death if you dont check them often enough. Plus releasing them into the wild means they might not find a new home/food and starve. Poison is an awful death. So I went with snap traps and caught 2 within a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Snap traps are the fastest and most humane way to get rid of them. If you ask on the hunting forum someone might be able to send you some ferret bedding, which apparently makes a great rodent deterrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

redser7 wrote: »
    Just been through the same thing and asked advice on another forum. I'd rather not kill them. Some people suggested humane traps but they are often not very humane in that they cause stress and sometimes death if you dont check them often enough. Plus releasing them into the wild means they might not find a new home/food and starve. Poison is an awful death. So I went with snap traps and caught 2 within a day.

Do you really give a sh1t about a rats well being?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're an intelligent animal. just because you don't like them does not mean you should turn a blind eye to putting them through pain and distress.

They were mice actually but yeah, I try to repsect all living things. Unless they're eating my effing garlic that I just planted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Get a cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Someoe with a ferret to get rid of them firstly and then ferret bedding as a deterrent to them coming back.

I dont know about eggox but my tunnel is on an allotment so a cat is out of the question. Wouldn't have a clue where to get hold of a ferret owner :) Anyway wouldn't be relaxed about unleashing something with sharp claws inside of a poly tunnel.
    Never heard of the ferret bedding thing, thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I've the same problem now. I left a few corn cobs out on the bench in my tunnel and every kernal was cleaned off of them. Found a hole too a few weeks back. I covered it in with soil and it was dug back out this week. I was up on the allotment on tuesday and spotted a huge fcukin monster of a rat down one end of the plot.

Where did you get the snaptraps Redser? I dont want any rats around my plot, especially with the kids walking around digging and playing. I dont wanna go down the poison route because you dont know what will eat the poison, and even if the rat did take the poison, it would probably just wander off and die somewhere around the plot. I want to see the body!

Got them in a 2 euro shop, 2 for one euro :) These were the small type. I'd say you'll get them or bigger rat traps in any hardware/woodies/B&Q. Nutella is good, or peanut butter or melted chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Couldnt waste Nutella!! Do they not fall for the auld lump of cheese or bread?

ah yeah, anything really. Just I read they go mad for the aul nutella. Nice last supper too. I actually squished a bit of tomato in one trap and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

redser7 wrote: »
    ah yeah, anything really. Just I read they go mad for the aul nutella. Nice last supper too. I actually squished a bit of tomato in one trap and it worked fine.
    Hi thanx for all the replys i got two traps from homebase and baited them with peanut butter, kids didnt want me useing there nuttela.. cats arent very good in polytunnels plus my dog likes them for snacks. If any one has a ferret in the Easky area id like to try that, now just to find someone to empty the traps if it works. Might have to try extra pocket money lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Get a lend of some Jack Russels, it's what they where originally bred for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I just stumbled upon this thread and while I know nothing about gardening I am a former professional pest controller and I keep ferrets .Rats or mice have no fear whatsoever of the smell of them and regularly raid my shed where the ferrets live.

I place traps on the roof of their hutch and have caught countless rodents within inches of live ferrets. I'm afraid the ferret droppings thing is just an old wives tale and won't work for you.

If you know anyone local with a couple of terriers and a spade that's the best way to deal with them, and in future keep the tunnels baited (in a safe way) with rat poison

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

pointer28 wrote: »
    I just stumbled upon this thread and while I know nothing about gardening I am a former professional pest controller and I keep ferrets .Rats or mice have no fear whatsoever of the smell of them and regularly raid my shed where the ferrets live.

I place traps on the roof of their hutch and have caught countless rodents within inches of live ferrets. I'm afraid the ferret droppings thing is just an old wives tale and won't work for you.

If you know anyone local with a couple of terriers and a spade that's the best way to deal with them, and in future keep the tunnels baited (in a safe way) with rat poison
    Thanks for the info. Maybe a silly question but how do you use poison safely. I did catch one today with a trap using peanut butter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Get a pipe 3 or 4 inches in diameter , maybe a foot long , put a couple of blocks of bait in ... Put it against a wall near wherever they enter..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BALLHOPPER

Annybody ever heard of WEALS DISEASE caused by coming in contact with the urine of the female rat . Listen folks there is only on way to get rid of rats and that is to exterminate them totally from the planet,as they spread and carry every kind of disease and corruption known to human kind, ever heard of the black death that ravaged Europe in the middle ages, this was caused by fleas which travelled on the fur of rats and it killed millions. The most efective rat poision is called STORM available from all Co op stores or agri suppliers stores, use gloves when handling, place a few lumps of it in a piece of four inch plastic drain pipe about a meter long, rats are inclined to take this back to their nest where the problem starts. Rats are a very dangerous vermin so be very careful even when disposing of dead rats, preferably dispose of dead rats by incerating with some petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Storm is no better than any other poison made by a reputable company. It's the active ingredient that is important not the brand name.

Modern poisons are based on 2nd generation anticoagulants, so look at the active ingredient on the label and you should see one of the following:

difenacoum
    brodifacoum
    bromadiolone
    flocoumafen

If you stick to these rather than something unknown, then it is also far safer around humans or animals for two reasons.

1. These are relatively slow acting so if accidentally ingested, then you have time to get to a hospital and get treatment.
    2. You are dealing with a known product so the hospitals know how to deal with poisoning of a non-target species. Vitamin K-1 is the usual antidote. If someone is accidentally poisoned with something unknown then it's a lot harder to cure.

Also, the make up of the poison is very important. Some baits are dry and dusty and crumbs or dust can be carried or blown away from the bait site and potentially contaminate food products if used near any food prep areas. Other baits are wax based to avoid this happening. Obviously not an issue if used in a farmyard setting or your garage or attic, but very important if used near food.

Advertisement