Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the divil

• 07-11-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

hi..most people of wicklow would be familiar with "the divil"...but does anybody know where the real wyvern is stored?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Don't understand what you are talking about?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Maudi sent me this PM!

maudi wrote:
    hi ..known locally as the divil..its properly known as a wyvern..it comes from the brabazon family coat of arms..some years ago the right wing was vandalised and the whole statue was removed and replaced by the present replica..im curious as to the whereabouts as the original.m

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For anyone who is still none the wiser, it's the statue on top of the drinking fountain in front of the Town Hall in Bray.

I know where the original top half of the phallic shaped statue outside the Royal hotel is

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Alun wrote: »
    For anyone who is still none the wiser, it's the statue on top of the drinking fountain in front of the Town Hall in Bray.
    ta daa..i shuda known you would know it..well..any idea where it is?

• Advertisement

I know where the original top half of the phallic shaped statue outside the Royal hotel is
    hadnt realised this had been interferred with ...go on tell us....where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Is it not a Griffin OP, rather than a Wyvern??

As for awareness of this, dont know why you refer to "most people in Wicklow". Some people in Bray maybe at a push.

Imhof Tank wrote: »

As for awareness of this, dont know why you refer to "most people in Wicklow". Some people in Bray maybe at a push.
    nupe..almost pozz its a wyvern...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Definitely a Wyvern ... top half dragon, bottom half serpent.

I'd read somewhere that it was refurbished using reconstituted granite some time ago, but that otherwise it was original. There was supposed to be a broken off bit (maybe the wing Maudi speaks of) in the Bray Heritage Centre, but now that that has changed into a Design Centre, maybe it's moved somewhere else I don't know.

Maudi wrote: »
    hadnt realised this had been interferred with ...go on tell us....where is it?

In the design centre

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement