Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing expanding foam from painted wall?

• 08-11-2012 12:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas or tips on the easiest way to remove dried on expanding foam residue from a painted plasterboard wall?

Or is it a case of sanding it right back off and repainting the wall??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

paddy147 wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas or tips on the easiest way to remove dried on expanding foam residue from a painted plasterboard wall?

Or is it a case of sanding it right back off and repainting the wall??

Thanks.:)

Afraid its a case of scraping it of and sanding back and then repainting it. Is it BIOFOAM 800 or is it cans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Afraid its a case of scraping it of and sanding back and then repainting it. Is it BIOFOAM 800 or is it cans

Its Tech 7 expanding foam,used it to seal up a 50mm hole for a kitchen waste pipe in a family friends kitchen,and a bit of it expanded in through the wall and dripped down on the inside of the kitchen.

Ah well,kinda had a feeling it was a "sand it off and repaint the wall" job.:(

Its Tech 7 expanding foam

is the surface its stuck to rough or smooth porous or non porous

is the surface its stuck to rough or smooth porous or non porous

Plasterboard wall,skimcoat and matt emulsion paint.

Surface is nice and smooth (well it was before I fcuked it up with the foam).:pac::D

Plasterboard wall,skimcoat and matt emulsion paint.

Surface is nice and smooth (well it was before I fcuked it up with the foam).:pac::D

I have stuff that will remove the foam but it might take the paint with it

• Advertisement

I have stuff that will remove the foam but it might take the paint with it

I scraped off as much of it as I could,used a small wallpaper scraper blade to remove as much as I could.

But there is still some small patches on the wall,as you can seein the pics.

Is there any sort of liquid solution that I could buy in the builders providers or diy store to disolve and remove it??

If a bit of paint comes off,then so be it.

I scraped off as much of it as I could,used a small wallpaper scraper blade to remove as much as I could.

But there is still some small patches on the wall,as you can seein the pics.

Is there any sort of liquid solution that I could buy in the builders providers or diy store to disolve and remove it??

If a bit of paint comes off,then so be it.

I can give you a drop of the chemical that is used for cleaning the spray foam guns no charge just a case of getting it to you

I can give you a drop of the chemical that is used for cleaning the spray foam guns no charge just a case of getting it to you

Thankyou for such a kind offer.

Where are you based?

Im in North Dublin,near the airport.

Thankyou for such a kind offer.

Where are you based?

Im in North Dublin,near the airport.

Im in Kildare you can get my contact details from my website via my sig im up and down that way the whole time give me a buzz in the morning and ill get something sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

On a plastered wall etc its a case of sanding back. On a PVC window frame it can be removed with baby oil. However if the surface is absorbant it will just soak the baby oil creating more problems Meaning you will need it sealed before painting

• Advertisement

I fix one problem,and I create another one in the process.

Oh well.:o:D

Advertisement