Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Straffan to City Centre

Options
  • 08-11-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Is there anyone on here that regularly commutes from Straffan to Dublin City Centre. I'll soon be starting a new job close to Grand Canal Dock area. Am trying to find the most effective way of commuting in and out between trains, bus or driving.

Train option - drive to Maynooth or Leixlip and get train straight to Grand Canal Station. Am worried at how early the car park in Maynooth station fills up. Between drive and train the journey time would be around 75 mins.

Bus - Bus from Straffan to Busaras / Quays and walk. Lack of reliability an issue and only a service every half hour if I narrowly miss one. Journey time is around 75-90 mins depending on time of day going by timetable.

Drive - drive in along M4, Quays and over to Grand Canal area.

I tested the drive option this morning and it took 55 mins when leaving Straffan around 7.20. If I left it later how big an impact would there be does anyone know? Are there any shortcuts / rat runs I could take that would reduce the time?

My standard working hours are 9-6, however, I've no issue being in early as I can use a gym nearby or go for a run before work etc. Is there anyone in a similar situation who could offer any advice whether it be positive or negative, and also what the drive home would be like in the evenings? Any feedback appreciated.

Mods, if this is more suitable for the Commuting & Transport thread then please feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Maynooth train station car park is relatively small and tends to fill up quite quickly early in the morning, around 7:30am or earlier. Have you considered Hazelhatch station? It has a much bigger car park which doesn't fill up, the downside is the train will only leave you to Heuston station although the combined train/bus ticket would bring you to the IFSC + walk via the route 90 bus or the 145 would bring you to Nassau Street/Kildare Street and walk from there.
    Another option might be to park near the 67X route close to Celbridge and that would leave you to D'olier Street, again you'd have to walk from there but I find the 67X fairly quick in the morning and usually in D'olier Street within 35 to 45 minutes.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/67x-/

Edit: I just noticed the last 67X from the city centre leaves at 5:30pm from Westmoreland Street so that's not much use if you work 'til 6pm. You'd be looking at the 67 home which is longer route and time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Hazelhatch alright and train times from there to Heuston seem to be good. Would the Luas from Heuston not be quicker than the 90 or 145? Just a short hop across the bridge from one of the IFSC stops then.

I believe there's a big car park in Louisa Bridge which is rarely full. Could be better to drive to there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bangonthedoor

A lot of people using maynooth train station park in car park to left of supervalu. its free and council run. just don't park at supervalu or hotel they can be strict. hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I looked at Hazelhatch alright and train times from there to Heuston seem to be good. Would the Luas from Heuston not be quicker than the 90 or 145? Just a short hop across the bridge from one of the IFSC stops then.

I believe there's a big car park in Louisa Bridge which is rarely full. Could be better to drive to there?

There's a thread on Boards somewhere that proved that the bus was actually quicker than the Luas from Heuston to the city centre if they left at the same time, if you think about it the Luas has to stop at every stop between Heuston and the city centre whereas the bus has the continuous bus lane and has only one or two pickups/drop offs as most passengers are going directly to the city centre, I may be wrong but perhaps someone on boards has some experience on this that they can share.
    That's a good point about Louisa Bridge station, I only thought of that afterwards when I was cycling up that way this morning, yes the car park there is quite large and it was about 3/4 full this morning so that might be the best option, as you say, that will bring you close to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I do clane->ringsend most days, driving is by far the fastest if you leave at a reasonable time.

Do the n4, turn left at kilmainham and go down by phoenix park and parkgate street, then turn right across O'Connell bridge and down by store street. Turning at custom house is a pain in the hole, as is heuston, so this route skips both of those and drops about 10-15 minutes off that.

Most trains from maynooth don't go to grand canal, they go to pearse and you end up walking or waiting for another train.

Maynooth car park is full by 8am, and it's not patrolled and crawling with knackbags. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I do clane->ringsend most days, driving is by far the fastest if you leave at a reasonable time.

Do the n4, turn left at kilmainham and go down by phoenix park and parkgate street, then turn right across O'Connell bridge and down by store street. Turning at custom house is a pain in the hole, as is heuston, so this route skips both of those and drops about 10-15 minutes off that.

Most trains from maynooth don't go to grand canal, they go to pearse and you end up walking or waiting for another train.

Maynooth car park is full by 8am, and it's not patrolled and crawling with knackbags. Avoid.

Thanks, how long would that drive normally take you, and what's it like back out in the evening? The route you mentioned above is the exact one I took. Presume you mean Pearse st and not store street too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maynooth to ifsc use to be about 45 minutes for us door to door,it was brilliant but now he is based near grand canal dock he finds it easier to drive.
    Parking space is expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Thanks, how long would that drive normally take you, and what's it like back out in the evening? The route you mentioned above is the exact one I took. Presume you mean Pearse st and not store street too!

Sorry yes, I mean d'olier street-> townsend street->sandwith street->pearse

Takes me about 45, I have flexible hours though so it'll probably be longer at 9 or 6.

It's more consistent as well. The buses and trains are a joke, you coule end up waiting an extra 10-15 minutes at every change.

Advertisement