Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biaggi Retires.

• 08-11-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Perennial racer Biaggi has bowed out and won't be contesting the 2013 WSBK championship.
    He's 41 and didn't start racing until he was 17, which is pretty unusual.
    I have some great memories of him on the 500's which he didn't do so well on.
    Happy Retirement Max!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Last I read he was undecided but looked like he was going back. Guess he changed his mind so. I have to admit, I never liked him, but there was some great racing with him and Rossi back in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Perennial racer Biaggi has bowed out and won't be contesting the 2013 WSBK championship.
    He's 41 and didn't start racing until he was 17, which is pretty unusual.
    I have some great memories of him on the 500's which he didn't do so well on.
    Happy Retirement Max!

This perhaps???:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOrv4pJpidw

He had a huge chance to become a 500cc world champion and he blew it by crashing out once too many a time.

Fantastic battles between Rossi and Biaggi on the 500s.

Erv Kanamoto was a legend with the 500cc bikes and he worked closely with Biaggi.

Biaggi crashed a few times too many,even when in the lead of a race.

He was a real title contender in 500cc class in 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9uf-_F36Y

Oh and for anyone who doesnt know who Mr Kanemoto is

Have a read..........

An absolute legend and 2 stroke mechanic/race bike expert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erv_Kanemoto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

See you later Team orders! Could be a great year for Eugene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Biaggi was a knob! Remember he was finished his flying laps for qualfying, so he decided to do a few practice starts on the circuit a few years ago. Thing is, the session was still on and loads of other riders were still on qualfying laps! Melandri comes around a corner on a flying lap, and there's the idiot biaggi stopped on the circuit doing a practice start, afterwards Melandri drove across the front of biaggi and clipped his handlebars almost knocking biaggi off (slow speed).
    It wasn't the first time Biaggi had done it, apparently riders had words with him before about it. When Melandri got back to the pits, Biaggi's dad attacked him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Biaggi was a great racer. I wasn't a big fan but always appreciated what he brought to a race. The 2001 season long battle with Rossi was a classic and if he'd actually tried to adapt to the 500 he could have won the title that year. I remember watching the Brno race when he lost the front end trying to make the 500 behave like a 250, effectively losing the title. He was always liable to do something stupid and that trait was there right to the end in WSB, but that just made him all the more fascinating to watch.

Enjoy your retirement Max and thanks for the many years of top class racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hard to find a good word to say about the guy tbh. He was rightly shown up when Rossi got aboard the M1 and turned it from a back of the pack bike into a title winner. Biaggi had no brain and no development ability, but on his day he could race hard, a two-wheeled Nigel Mansell (and a superlative moaner like Mansell)

Scrap the cap!

He'll always be remembered for getting a punch in the face from Rossi

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Hard to find a good word to say about the guy tbh. He was rightly shown up when Rossi got aboard the M1 and turned it from a back of the pack bike into a title winner. Biaggi had no brain and no development ability, but on his day he could race hard, a two-wheeled Nigel Mansell (and a superlative moaner like Mansell)

I can't believe I'm fighting Biaggi's corner but to say he had no brain and no development ability is ridiculous. He won 4 250cc titles and 2 WSB titles as well as strong showings in the 500 class. But because he's not Rossi he brought nothing to motorcycle racing.....? I expect you have the same opinion of Casey Stoner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Biaggi was a racer, his job was to win races and thats what he did.
    If you think the whole Rossi superstar/rockstar thing is what bike racing is then Biaggi won't even register on the radar.
    But if you like bike racing for racing's sake then Biaggi has to be one of the best.
    Lots of people have forgotten just how competitive the 250 class was back when he won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

MotoGP is a different ball game from Superbikes
    but he still won 2 250cc Championships. Not bad at all.

Biaggi on the black Chesterfield Apprilia 250cc...back in the days

Legend Indeed.:D

Xaime wrote: »
    MotoGP is a different ball game from Superbikes
    but he still won 2 250cc Championships. Not bad at all.

Biaggi won 4 back to back 250 titles. 94 to 96 on an Aprilia and 97 on a Honda. Also he was second in the 500's in 98 and 01.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jazzmaster wrote: »
    Biaggi won 4 back to back 250 titles. 94 to 96 on an Aprilia and 97 on a Honda. Also he was second in the 500's in 98 and 01.
    And he did a pretty good job on the first 990cc MotoGP bikes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Makes you feel jealous of that journalist riding the Aprilia. Those were beast machines back then. He said it was scarier than a 500 cc.

Xaime wrote: »
    Makes you feel jealous of that journalist riding the Aprilia. Those were beast machines back then. He said it was scarier than a 500 cc.

The Aprilia were the only disc valve 250's. According to the racers it was really hard to set up the fuelling just right. Power delivery could be like a switch whereas the Japanese bikes used reed valves which made slightly less power but were much more forgiving. Biaggi's championship winning switch from Aprilia to Honda in 97 is a hugely underrated achievement. Definitely the match, skill-wise and development-wise, of Rossi's switch from Honda to Yamaha.

The RS250s were/are lunatic 2 stroke bikes
    I had 2 of them and they were unreal....(old shape Chesterfield/Biaggi Replica and later model Rossi Replica,both with full Arrow systems).

All placid one second and then twist the throtle that tiny bit more,go past a certain rev range and it was like a rocket being fired and you were strapped to it.

Mental bikes indeed.:D:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    The RS250s were/are lunatic 2 stroke bikes
    I had 2 of them and they were unreal....(old shape Chesterfield/Biaggi Replica and later model Rossi Replica,both with full Arrow systems).

All placid one second and then twist the throtle that tiny bit more,go past a certain rev range and it was like a rocket being fired and you were strapped to it.

Mental bikes indeed.:D:D

Lucky Man :-). Always wanted one but stayed with big four strokes. Worth nice money now if you still had them!!!

Check out www.raresportbikesforsale.com for some beautiful strokers.

• Advertisement

Lucky Man :-). Always wanted one but stayed with big four strokes. Worth nice money now if you still had them!!!

Nice site.
    Check out this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321016505012

Cienciano wrote: »

Saw it already on the site I posted :-). Very cool bike but hard to know how genuine it is. Could be a genuine bike or may just be a practise/parts bin special.

The Honda 250 Kato replica is a lovely bike.:D

And the carbon exhaust system and shrouds on Ant Wests 2007 RS250 race bike are just drooltastic.:eek::D

Saw it already on the site I posted :-). Very cool bike but hard to know how genuine it is. Could be a genuine bike or may just be a practise/parts bin special.

Top fairing doesnt match up to lower fairing.;)

paddy147 wrote: »

The Honda 250 Kato replica is a lovely bike.:D

And the carbon exhaust system and shrouds on Ant Wests 2007 RS250 race bike are just drooltastic.:eek::D

Cold shower time? :-)

Advertisement