Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My floors are manky

• 08-11-2012 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Could anyone please recommend the best appliance / way for cleaning floors. We have 4 kids and two adults here and a lot of people in and out. I would love an alternative to a mop and bucket and was thinking of steam cleaners for the hygiene aspect but I don't know too much about them.

We have wooden floors and tiles that need a good cleaning. Is there something available that could be used in the bathroom as well ?

I need something that is quick and easy to use any suggestions please ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am guessing your floors have rough tiles. This is the problem with rough tiles. They take a while to look dirty but theyt stain bad. where as glossy tiles look dirty quick but clean quick.

A mop and bucket on the tiles and a deck scrub once a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a H2O steam mop and cleaning system

So far so good (it hasnt broken yet)

Fantastic on wooden floors and on marble tiles.

Vax and Black & Decker now also make steam mops,can be bought for around 70 euro in most diy stores and Harvey Normans too.

I am guessing your floors have rough tiles. This is the problem with rough tiles. They take a while to look dirty but theyt stain bad. where as glossy tiles look dirty quick but clean quick.

A mop and bucket on the tiles and a deck scrub once a week.

Yep,maybe a mop,bucket and some elbow grease is the way forward to shift all the heavy dirt and grime,for the 1st time anyway.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Squeeze a half a lemon into about 5 liters of hot water. Use your normal bucket and mop.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Thanks to you all for the replies. I guess I was looking for an easy way out of it :o

Maybe the way to go is to do the scrub first and then I guess I'll be asking Santa for a steam cleaner - Jesus:( has my life come to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Steam cleaners aren't the magic that advertising would have you believe.
    deck scrub sounds drastic but on tiles, theres nothing comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Thanks to you all for the replies. I guess I was looking for an easy way out of it :o

Maybe the way to go is to do the scrub first and then I guess I'll be asking Santa for a steam cleaner - Jesus:( has my life come to this

Ya we put down the same kinda tiles as you describe. Nightmare to clean aswell and we have 4 lab's on top of 4 people coming and going.

Only way to go with us is deck scrub (one with handle) every 2 weeks and then mop keeps it at bay for a while. Use cif cleaner, spread it over the floor and then scrub, use fresh water and mop.

Thinking about taking them up next year, will be a mess dust wise but they have to go.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Ya we put down the same kinda tiles as you describe. Nightmare to clean aswell and we have 4 lab's on top of 4 people coming and going.

Only way to go with us is deck scrub (one with handle) every 2 weeks and then mop keeps it at bay for a while. Use cif cleaner, spread it over the floor and then scrub, use fresh water and mop.

Thinking about taking them up next year, will be a mess dust wise but they have to go.

Just a heads up here..........

You cant use Cif or anything like that on natural stone or marble floors or worktops or tiles.

The chemicals eat into the natural stone surface and wreck it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I wish I could afford for someone to come in and do them :D

Fingers crossed for the Lotto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I wish I could afford for someone to come in and do them :D

Fingers crossed for the Lotto

Oh, I wished lots aswell. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement