Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4: Campaign & Spartan Ops Story Discussion Thread *Contains Spoilers*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Perhaps there might be some video / cut-scenes in the next game.

I don't think this is likely, they tend to keep the stuff from the books in the books really - unless they do some kind of motion comic thing on Waypoint like they did for the "Mona Lisa" story from the Halo: Evolutions collection of short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I just finished the game on legendary and gameplay wise the ending was really poor I thought. There was no boss fights whatsoever throughout the game. I was really looking forward to taking down the didact and instead I get told to press the grenade button while watching a cut-scene. Lame. Rest of the game was good fun though I really liked the Prometheans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This story is only going to end one way ultimately. If we see the chief meeting a nice girl and settling down and having lots of mini-chiefs, we'll feel very cheated...

Only finished the campaign last night but did you not see the glance from Spartan Palmer as Chief went to get out of the armour, that's the way it is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Finished the campaign tonight.

Loved the story (will read the books to fill in the blanks so to speak)

And yes, as a grown man, I did nearly cry when Cortana and Chief split.

Much kudos to the voice actors for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

kaimera wrote: »
    Finished the campaign tonight.

Loved the story (will read the books to fill in the blanks so to speak)

And yes, as a grown man, I did nearly cry when Cortana and Chief split.

Much kudos to the voice actors for both.

If you have Xbox live you will enjoy the "spartan ops" section.
    The mini-episodes are quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »

Only finished the campaign last night but did you not see the glance from Spartan Palmer as Chief went to get out of the armour, that's the way it is going.

I took the glance more to mean she was in awe/didn't know what to think of the chief, like he's a bit ostracised from the new Spartans because they all idolise him.

Then again I suppose he could have been winking at her, we'll never know :p

I really enjoyed the storyline over all, the voice acting was a very high standard overall. The cut scenes on the space station and the ending were the biggest highlights.

Did anyone else feel a bit let down you didn't get to throw down with the didact at the end though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mickeroo wrote: »

Did anyone else feel a bit let down you didn't get to throw down with the didact at the end though?

A thousand times yes.

I played the "shoot out on Valhalla" one this afternoon. Brilliant. Easily the best one I've played so far. Am going back on for another go of it now if anyone would care to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Been playing thru a few eps solo. Just to see what they be like.

Died a few times on s01ep03 at the end. lol.

Good fun tho.

Are they split screen playable?

I took the glance more to mean she was in awe/didn't know what to think of the chief, like he's a bit ostracised from the new Spartans because they all idolise him.

Possibly. With Cortana always being referred to as the human side of Master Chief, and that role now being open I think it be a logical step to explore that through his relationship with Palmer.

It is kind of a let down but it didn't come as a shock, there wouldn't really have been any way to pull it off in a FPS.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Possibly. With Cortana always being referred to as the human side of Master Chief, and that role now being open I think it be a logical step to explore that through his relationship with Palmer.

Yeah that could happen alright, they could also do that through Lasky aswell, think that was kind of implied with their little exchange where Lasky says soldiers are just people.

It is kind of a let down but it didn't come as a shock, there wouldn't really have been any way to pull it off in a FPS.

I'm pretty sure I've played FPS's where you get to shoot boss type characters before, they could have easily set up some sort of scenario where it would have worked imo.

I'm pretty sure I've played FPS's where you get to shoot boss type characters before, they could have easily set up some sort of scenario where it would have worked imo.

Ah right, I thought you meant a physical throwdown. Those kinda boss levels are a double edged sword in FPS' though. Players obviously want them to bring about a satisfying conclusion to the game but most of them revolve around some kind of ridiculous scenario that doesn't make any kind of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Calhoun wrote: »
    Who knows either one could return and considering the humans have already defeated the flood will they explore that more?

I really love the story of Halo but have to say that I didn't think they explained things well for people who weren't following the books etc. I went in with a fairly solid base of what was going on so I loved it but a couple of friends of mine were left fairly lost by it.

As to the quote above. I think one of the more recent books revealed that the humans never actually defeated the Flood. The Flood simply pulled back for whatever reason... This was revealed by the captive Precursor. Basically the Precursors use the Flood as a test to see who is worthy of the Mantle... I think the real meaning of the Mantle is ambiguous. Anyway I think it's safe to bet that at some stage humanity is due to be tested again and that will likely be Halo 6 (or beyond) with the Precursors unleashing the Flood on a Galaxy that humanity is now asserting itself upon.

I am a bit vague on this stuff now so I may be way off but that's my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

They reprogrammed its DNA to consume itself, it had to pull back or be destroyed. Well that was my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Yes but I think the argument is that the Primordial (a Precursor/Gravemind) claimed that this didn't actually cure the Flood, rather this proved to the Flood that humanity was worthy, thereby passing the test/attaining the Mantle.

It's been left purposely vague I think. There is evidence from other sources that suggests the cure is real and the fact the Primordial is now thought to be a Gravemind also suggests his claim that there was no Flood cure was a lie. I do find it interesting though... It could go either way

1) The Primordial was telling the truth and humans did attain the Precursor Mantle when they used their phoney "cure" and are, in some awful sense, the inheritors of the galaxy. The Forerunners and Covenent are therefore the failed races. Could this setup some sort of Flood/Human alliance? Or, more likely, some sort of sacrifice whereby humanity (in the guise of the chief) must sacrifice itself in order to protect the remaining forerunner/covenent lives being whiped out by the Precursors/Flood. Maybe even being forced to turn his back on humanity as the wider population learns that the Flood are not going after them but rather their former/current enemies?

2) The Primordial is just a lying Gravemind trying to get its own way. In which case the Flood could simply be gone or could return resulting in a Human/Forerunner/Covenent effort to beat them back.

Again I am not saying I am right in any of this. I do think either option could make the rest of the trilogy interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

mcgarnicle wrote: »
    Yes but I think the argument is that the Primordial (a Precursor/Gravemind) claimed that this didn't actually cure the Flood, rather this proved to the Flood that humanity was worthy, thereby passing the test/attaining the Mantle.

It's been left purposely vague I think. There is evidence from other sources that suggests the cure is real and the fact the Primordial is now thought to be a Gravemind also suggests his claim that there was no Flood cure was a lie. I do find it interesting though... It could go either way

1) The Primordial was telling the truth and humans did attain the Precursor Mantle when they used their phoney "cure" and are, in some awful sense, the inheritors of the galaxy. The Forerunners and Covenent are therefore the failed races. Could this setup some sort of Flood/Human alliance? Or, more likely, some sort of sacrifice whereby humanity (in the guise of the chief) must sacrifice itself in order to protect the remaining forerunner/covenent lives being whiped out by the Precursors/Flood. Maybe even being forced to turn his back on humanity as the wider population learns that the Flood are not going after them but rather their former/current enemies?

2) The Primordial is just a lying Gravemind trying to get its own way. In which case the Flood could simply be gone or could return resulting in a Human/Forerunner/Covenent effort to beat them back.

Again I am not saying I am right in any of this. I do think either option could make the rest of the trilogy interesting.

I am not so sure about the first point because this series is called reclaimer, i think we will see the rise of the human race rather than its decline. I would say we will see them reclaim the mantle.

I dont think we have seen the last of the forerunners, as we have only seen the bornstellar dictact who else knows whats out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

So Spartan ops Season 1 is now finished.

Its been pretty good.

Dr Halsley has gone completely off the reservation.

Question for anyone with an opinion?
    After several games and many cinematics showing that covenant species unable to use Forerunner terminals (requiring captured humans to do so for them).
    How could Jul-nDama use the terminal to set Requiem on its collision course?

Was this just continuity error or poor writing, or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

So Spartan ops Season 1 is now finished.

Its been pretty good.

Dr Halsley has gone completely off the reservation.

What's she supposed to say? Pretending to hate the UNSC/ONI and being a turn coat could be just a means to an end.

Question for anyone with an opinion?
    After several games and many cinematics showing that covenant species unable to use Forerunner terminals (requiring captured humans to do so for them).
    How could Jul-nDama use the terminal to set Requiem on its collision course?

Was this just continuity error or poor writing, or both!

Promethean assistance/intervention? They are clearly seen fighting alongside and providing teleportation capabilities on demand to the covenant cult on reqiuem.

Could they have provided abilities/amended terminals to accept Sanghelli input?

I don't think it's implied that all forerunner tech needs humans to operate it. I'm pretty sure anything that needed humans to operate thus far was left deliberately by the librarian for humans to find.

Advertisement