Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too early to put up the tree and lights and stuff?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 6:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Is it too early to put up Christmas? My little ones is 3 so I'm especially excited about this Christmas. I got a new tree, lots and lots of decorations, roles of tinsel and a few sets of lights.

I want to put them all up but I'm afraid I'll be ridiculed for it, which is probably fair but I can't help the way I feel. :)

Is it too early to put up the tree and lights and stuff? 164 votes

Put up Christmas now.
    0%
    Wait until December.
    14%
    Tom Dunnejackofalltrades00sullyPosypreddy0ph0rce0jonevinsimons104poppet84candy-gal1BonavoxAmberAmbervan_beanosuomiangel_wingsRojiblancosPrincess Peachmsbusterpusspencilsharpcarfiosaoorl 23 votes
    Burn all the decorations and tell my 3 year old Santa doesn't exist.
    85%
    BigConondaflyomahaidsunbeamdjk1000ArthurGmhairesaBizzyCCrowdedHouseeventfred funk }{spurioussombahtPappacharliemissloulouStar LordGhostInTheRuinshobochrisNewtown90baby and crumble 141 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Might be a tad early.

I'm dying to put mine up but I'm waiting until the 25th November as that is that day the Christmas tree is turned on in O'Connell Street,Dublin. I can understand your excitement though, I think when you have children it brings Christmas excitement to a whole new level :D:D:D

Its only 2 weeks away so not long for the kids (me!) to wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Toy show is on the 30th! I think that would be the ideal night to put the trees up? Ill hold off for December the 8th though. Tradition at this stage!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Waiting until the 30th myself to coincide with the toy show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I put up some lights when the hours go back. White unblinking lights. Not really Christmas - i.e. no santa etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes, its too early.

Only chavs put their Xmas trees up this early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yes, its too early.

Only chavs put their Xmas trees up this early.

Bit harsh. He's planning on doing it for his 3 year old, nothing chavy about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Want if the child wanted it up in Sept?

I am only pointing out how many perceive people who put their trees up so early. Its almost like a race these days, with it getting earlier and earlier each year. Some just have to be first, whether it makes them look stupid or not.

There is always one around this time on the road to our work, and it is followed for days by people in work saying "do you see the idiot along the road with their Xmas decorations up already".

Hey, its a free world. If you want to put your tree up then there's no need to seek clarification or opinion from internet users, get it up if it keeps the kid happy and you're happy doing it.

I'm just saying, imho, its way too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Way to early in my opinion. Wait until december.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

8th December and not a minute earlier.

My local tesco's have had thier tree up since at least 02 November and I have to say it looks ridiculous having this massive tree up in November.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Posters -- just a reminder, you're in the Christmas forum, please familiarise yourself with the forum charter and the general ethos of this forum.
    It's about all things Christmas related (in a good way) and full of those who really really love Christmas. If you're not a Christmas lover, this isn't the forum for you.

Please note you can put across your opinion without being rude or insulting to others.

(Do not reply to this post)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wait until December.
    I would personally give it another week or two.

By the weekend after next it will only be a month to Christmas which I think is perfect. I usually put my tree up the last weekend in November. So it should be about November 24/25th in my house this year. :D

I think it's lovely that you're so excited. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Wait until December.
    the sooner the better. I was gonna do it after halloween but didn't get time, if I get time I'll start this weekend :D and leave it till end of January possibly Feb. prolong the season I say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Personally We put it up at the start of December..

It's taken down then just before New Years.

Christmas it well over with by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

donalg1 wrote: »
    8th December and not a minute earlier.

My local tesco's have had thier tree up since at least 02 November and I have to say it looks ridiculous having this massive tree up in November.

By any chance its not the 15 foot tree in Clarehall??

The idiot who put that up must be cockeyed,its that lob sided.:(:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

They go up on the 24th and come down on the 6th of January , them the rules Now follow them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yeah, it's a little bit too early alright! I usually wait til the 20th December or so and it comes back down the 27th (ish). If I had my way I wouldn't bother, in fact one year I didn't. Can't get away with it now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Up around Dec 20th, down around Jan 2nd.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I saw a house with exterior lights on last night in Shannon. The trailing icicles. In blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

paddy147 wrote: »
    By any chance its not the 15 foot tree in Clarehall??

The idiot who put that up must be cockeyed,its that lob sided.:(:eek::D

No its in Wexford, it looks nice and all but just way too early, I think putting them up this early takes the shine and excitement out of Christmas, I love that December feeling when you know Christmas is here. This early and you just think oh bloody hell you will ruin Christmas for me if you prolong the build up too much.

• Advertisement

Mine go up around 5-8th December and come back down at "little Christmas" (aka Womens Christmass).

For anyone who doesnt know what I mean,then google it.

6th January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Up around the 8th (false tree, no worries about it wilting) and down asap in the new year! I like looking at it in the run up to Christmas but after that the festivity wears off and down it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Are you for real with those dates???

Yep, very much so. Mainly has to do with time constraints more than anything.

No Christmass spirit in your house then??

After my wife and I separated, I left two kids behind. Christmas hasn't been the same for me for a few years now (in fact I hated Christmas), but is getting back to normal after the birth of my little one 18 months ago.
    I pitty the kids...(if any)..:eek::(:pac:

As per above, there was no kids until recently. My little one is 18 months old so I'll make more of an effort this year, whereas I didn't have the motivation to do so before. Christmas is nothing without kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

One of my neighbours has green flashing lights up already. I hope they get stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As per above, there was no kids until recently. My little one is 18 months old so I'll make more of an effort this year, whereas I didn't have the motivation to do so before. Christmas is nothing without kids.

And you'd be far from alone in feeling that way. I know my sister's OH's mother hates Christmas because her husband passed away during that time & she always tries to go away for it.

But it's wonderful you have a new little one to focus on, and to make Christmas special for them, they'd love the excitement and decorations I'm sure. I hope you do have a wonderful Christmas together.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

I always put mine up the first week of December, and take it down the second week of Jan.

But I am very chrismasey.

Up around the 8th (false tree, no worries about it wilting) and down asap in the new year! I like looking at it in the run up to Christmas but after that the festivity wears off and down it comes.

All you need is a tree stand with a water pot built into it.

1 litre of water every 2-3 days mixed with some sugar.

Keeps the tree nice and fresh and hydrated.:)

00sully wrote: »
    the sooner the better. I was gonna do it after halloween but didn't get time, if I get time I'll start this weekend :D and leave it till end of January possibly Feb. prolong the season I say! :D

A neighbour of mine does't take theirs down till Feb too! She has a lot of kids. :-) ... prolong the season...lovely.. :-)

Hubby passed a house yesterday evening, he said it was like the movie 'deck the halls'! Covered in lights!

i told him, well if it's like that on the outside, guaranteed...the inside is also all lit up.
    heard on the radio today, an 'auld fella, has had his Chrstmas tree up for the last 10 year! cos there is so much bit & pieces on it, it would be too much hassel to take it down! lol

Shur what harm is it anyway! we all need a bit of christmas cheer! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Saw a house window lit up on Werburgh street two weeks ago. It just looked wrong. Christmas is a special few weeks (especially for a three year old). It is not a season of the year.
    Magic works best in small doses.

Advertisement