Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too early to put up the tree and lights and stuff?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Wait until December.
    Imho, once its after halloween then all is right for everything and anything xmas! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well B&Q are allready selling real Xmass trees.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Burn all the decorations and tell my 3 year old Santa doesn't exist.
    First weekend of December til the 6th of January only because the OH wont leave it up longer !! Enjoy it while the kids are young first year the youngest doesnt believe in Santa and as much as I love it I know it wont be as special this year ,Roll on the grandkids :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I put up the tree on the night of the toyshow usually which is normally the last Friday in November but all the decorating Of the house usually takes a whole weekend anyway (!) so by the time it's all done it's the beginning of December so that's perfect for me!

I do agree it's a bit early now to be putting up your decorations at home. I mean it's kind of understanding at this stage that the shops do it but that's an entirely different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I'd wait until December, decorations for me go up on the 8th and down on the 6th but a few days either side is no big deal. You people who put them up on the 24th are wierdos :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Bit too early, by the time Christmas comes the decorations won't feel special to a 3 yr old. 6 or 7 weeks to a young child prob feels like 6 months! As others said, wait til first week in Dec, anyway if decorations are up to long they are covered in dust by Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

Christmas is nothing without kids.

What if you don't have kids?

I think it's your frame of mind (not you personally!). I have no kids but Christmas is a big deal for me and I'm a grown woman! :D

I've just moved house and now that it's all clean and shiny I had toyed with the idea of putting my decorations up!
    I normally put them up around the end of November and take them down mid January. I like to prolong the feeling of Christmas and get my monies worth.

But I think I mite leave it til the weekend of the 24th! I can't believe we are so close to Christmas. I'm just hoping it won't fly by. I want to savour all the build-up :D

P.S. I agree with the poster who says you can put them up whenever you like. There are no rules. And as for 'chavs' putting them up early - I never heard that in my life. Weird!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wait until December.
    I adore Christmas and have no kids/younger siblings/cousins or nieces/nephews. I have a lie in on Christmas morning, I don't want pesky kids waking me at 6am! :pac:

Ah no, one day I will possibly have kids and it will be magical to see their faces when they realise that Santa has been and so on, but as DreaminOnAStar said, I think it's a frame of mind.
    I know of plenty of people with children who are distinctly 'meh' about Christmas and others who are mad about the Christmas season and have no children. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Up ~22nd December, down 6th January. :)

I love Christmas decorations, but this honestly is long enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Bit harsh. He's planning on doing it for his 3 year old, nothing chavy about that!

no, I'd say he's doing it for himself. The 3 year old has no idea of what is going to happen - it's not like the 3 year old can read the calendar and tell the father its time to put the tree up. The 3 year old will get excited no matter when the tree goes up - and then move onto something else. so I'm afraid the adult is doing it for himself, the 3 year old wouldn't be aware of the time to put the tree up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

Wait until December.
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter what peoples reasons are for wanting/putting their Christmas tree up early, it's their tree, their house and their decision!! A lot of ppl have had a very rough year financially and they might want to start Christmas off a little earlier as a distraction from what theyv had to deal with in the last 11 months or just to cheer themselves or children up.....and theres nothing wrong with that :)
    And as for those who'll say well just keep it to yourself and dont post it on internet if you dont want to be criticised.......IT'S A CHRISTMAS FORUM AND THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR:..........end of rant LOL

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what peoples reasons are for wanting/putting their Christmas tree up early, it's their tree, their house and their decision!! A lot of ppl have had a very rough year financially and they might want to start Christmas off a little earlier as a distraction from what theyv had to deal with in the last 11 months or just to cheer themselves or children up.....and theres nothing wrong with that :)
    And as for those who'll say well just keep it to yourself and dont post it on internet if you dont want to be criticised.......IT'S A CHRISTMAS FORUM AND THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR:..........end of rant LOL

Well said Angel Wings! Well said indeed! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can I just say...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34w8xqFz3eU

:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I voted wait til December without actually reading.
    Taking into account a 3 yr old, go for it!! I figure Christmasses when they're all small n excited have to be amazing (no kids here), make the most of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We do as close to Dec the 8th and Jan the 6th as college/work allows me and my mom to have a day off together. Started buying decorations and presents already :D

Wait until December.
    Thank you lockie1983 :D

Bought a new Christmas tree today and can't wait to put it up!!!
    Have always had a 6ft (which I thought was fine til I looked back at the photos I uploaded here last yr :( ) so splashed out (more to my husband's dismay) on a big fluffy, full 7ft tree :D:D
    Just need to have patience and wait til next week eek

Wait until December.
    Tso splashed out (more to my husband's dismay) on a big fluffy, full 7ft tree :D:D
    Where did you get your tree? This year I am upgrading from a 6 foot to a 7 foot for the first year ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wait until December.
    Nope, definitely not too early, as confirmed by my sightings today of not one, not two but three Christmas trees in a local shopping center.

Nothing too unusual about that, I hear you say.

Not really, unless you factor in where I am living - the Middle East.

While they do generally put up Christmas trees out here, it is usually around the middle of December. I don't think I have ever seen them up this early before.

Now, if I could only convince the Mrs. to put ours up.

Wait until December.
    Posy..... I bought it in my local hardware shop. €120 on promotion for €99 most iv ever spent on a tree but it's gonna look amazeballs haha :D:D:D
    Argos have a few on special but dunno how much longer it will run for as they know ppl are gonna buy soon no matter what the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

When I was still living at home, we used to wait until 8th December (my sisters Birthday) to put up the tree, but since I have had my own place and family the tree goes up 1st December unless I'm working, then its 2nd or 3rd etc etc. I think my wife would kill me if I put the tree up in November, and my Electricity bill is bad enough putting tree up in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I've seen photos of 2 different trees on Facebook. One is a person I know with lots of kids and the other is a friend of a friend. Still not feeling the overwhelming Christmas feeling just yet but I'm getting there ;) Mine's going up the 25th November which is actually less than 2 weeks away...... Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My 3 year old wants the whole tree and deco, but then she wanted it up back in July when we she was still watching Mickey Mouse club house on sky plus from last Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Wait until December.
    My boyfriend picked up ours today from Argos, oh if I was home I would have put it up straight away!! less than 5 weeks!

He said he was a little tempted to :pac::pac: He's been giving out about me talking so much about Christmas this early, but I must be rubbing off on him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Il start putting up the outside lights soon but they won't be turned on till December . I only do it cause it gets to cold and icy to be going up the ladder in December

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lsrec

I think it is lovely your so excited about Xmas. I say go for it . There is enough sadness about

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Now, if I could only convince the Mrs. to put ours up.
    just wait till the 29th dammit!!! :D

I want to put mine up as I will be away for 2 weeks... I might have to follow through with this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there was a house on the wexford road in arklow (opp. the entrance to tesco for locals) lit up like heathrow airport this evening
    i'd hate to see their electric bill in january

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

never too early,dont mind the ridicule sure their will always be someone to find fault no matter what you do in life..to heck with them all i say,be happy,take the misery out of the winter night in your home by lighting it up,even if it is not yet ready to display to the public..enjoy the cosy athmosphere behind closed doors and curtains,and to heck with the begrudgers...oh and by the way for years now my heavy fiber optic tree has not been put away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Why do people always assume that people who put up lights will have a huge ESB bill ?? I cover the house in LEDs and it costs about €15 to run from dec to January

• Advertisement

Wait until December.
    The feckin' downlighters in my house cost a lot more than the tree/lights!

Got my Christmas tree today! :)

Advertisement