Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which UPC modem?

• 08-11-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am moving to UPC later this month. Just wondering if I should request a specific modem model. The website suggests they supply a couple of Cisco models or a Thompson. I did a quick Google to compare spec's but couldn't find anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cracker wrote: »
    Hi

I am moving to UPC later this month. Just wondering if I should request a specific modem model. The website suggests they supply a couple of Cisco models or a Thompson. I did a quick Google to compare spec's but couldn't find anything.

Generally you wont have a hope of getting anything other that the Cisco. Customer Support will not take requests of modem specifics because they dont guarantee the engineers vehicle stock models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's Cisco 3925 across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's Cisco 3925 across the board.
    Which are junk.

rebeve wrote: »
    Which are junk.

But at least you can bridge it with something else. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

When you bridge do you mean just use the cisco as a modem and connect it to another router? If so then any recommendations or is there another modem/router combination I could buy myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, thats what bridging does.

Any of the WNDR3XXX's will do you just fine, more expensive ones have a few nice little addons but a cheaper one will do a regular household.

Amamzon.co.uk is a great source :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

they gave me a thompson bloody excellent device double the range of my last link router well chuffed with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

I would have to use the Cisco modem with the WNDR series? Any one I could use to replace the Cisco one entirely? Just to avoid having two boxes really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cracker wrote: »
    I would have to use the Cisco modem with the WNDR series? Any one I could use to replace the Cisco one entirely? Just to avoid having two boxes really

Nope. UPC would have to provision a router/modem you bought(which would need to be a cable one, not the normal DSL ones that are more common) which they wont do, so you always have to keep the EPC.

Advertisement