Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodburner DOE

• 08-11-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi All,

A quick one which I can't find any previous posts on. I have a campervan (reg'd and insured as a camper) which I want to install a woodstove in. It has DOE until next June but want to be sure that it will get through again after the roof has been cut for the flue.

I can remove the flue at the time of the test but if anyone has got tested with a stove would appreciate the feedback!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

As things stand at the moment there is no testing done inside a camper which means that the tester has no reason to look inside.
    If you feel that cutting through the roof might appear to weaken the structure then by all means remove the flu first although I can't see that this would be the case.

If it was me I would just go ahead as is.

Best of luck.

I got mine through, they weren't too happy about it but I petitioned that there was nowhere in the manual that states you can't have one. Also it's a combustion engine. Also they require and open flame gas hobs to register a camper which is more dangerous imo.

M50 truck centre, Dublin on the N3 (i think)

Make sure it's secure. and flashed adequately....and a shut off valve might help.

I'm always having the police call round to have a look in. Never a problem....apart from two separate gobsh1tes calling out fire trucks to me in the small hours...and they were amused at best
    :rolleyes:

Well done for getting yours through but as I said earlier, they are not authorised to inspect inside the camper other than for checking seatbelts.

ha, good luck trying to stop them!:D

I'm ok as there is no walk through from the cab. All I have to do is lock the rear door and keep hold of the key:P.

To be real though, where mine is tested I can see everything they do and I've never seen anyone try to get in the back.

• Advertisement

Don't they require a key to start the engine?

I've never had a DOE they haven't looked in the back regardless of that I could see them.

Rear door, drivers door and ignition - 3 different keys.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

The only reason they'd have to go in the back other than for a gawp would be passenger seats/belts goatman has none.

If you think of the size of the hole needed for a skylight a flue isn't going to be a problem.

Yes, I did mention seat belts earlier.

I'm not too sure how the law stands with regard to passengers traveling on bench seats in the back though.
    I wouldn't allow anyone to do that but does anyone know the legal position? (apart from the laying down flat position so that you can't be seen:D)

According to truckers laying down flat is legal, I'd be interested to know if this is true also.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »

If you think of the size of the hole needed for a skylight a flue isn't going to be a problem.

...as long as the braces are intact. Holes should be in the body paneling only.

Advertisement