Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of CVs & Candidates

Options
  • 08-11-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here is advertising for staff as I,d like to find out what the standard of CVs you are getting in and what the people who turn up for interview are like?

We have been advertising on a few occasions over the last 6 months for staff and the quality of CVs and candidates is very poor. In our ads we state they must have a minimum of fetac level 5 qualification.

We get numerous Cvs without any qualification. The standard of spelling & grammer on most is terrible aswell. Yesterday I got a cv in where the person used "den" instead of then.

When we do call for interview people just dont turn up or let you know their running late. If they do turn up they either stink of smoke, are dressed casually (as in they have made no effort to dress smart) or just seem to have no interest in working.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I suspect that the clampdown on those in receipt of JobSeekers benefit to prove that they have been applying for jobs has lead to nerfarious applications being made. If they cannot show that they have made a certain number of applications, they may lose their benefit. We have had people coming to our resception desk and ask if we have any vacancies and if not can the have a note to say they applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I suspect that the clampdown on those in receipt of JobSeekers benefit to prove that they have been applying for jobs has lead to nerfarious applications being made. If they cannot show that they have made a certain number of applications, they may lose their benefit. We have had people coming to our resception desk and ask if we have any vacancies and if not can the have a note to say they applied.

I suspect you are right which doesnt help anyone as it makes it harder for legitimate people who want to work.
    either stink of smoke,

Its worth saying, and I say this as an ex smoker(jaysus I must have reeked), if the candidate is a smoker then they probably are not aware of the smell, and so it shouldn't really be grounds not to hire them. Since I quit I do notice some of my friends who come back and stink. I also notice girls in pubs, but as soon as I get close to them I notice the stench and it ruins the experience. Everything else you say is perfectly valid, but candidates smelling of smoke, if they're a smoker is not, in my opinion, one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

For many employers, smokers are a real problem and they will not employ them. They tend to spend too much time on smoke breaks, litter the back door areas etc and tend to be unhealtier than non-smaokers. Net position, they cost more to employ!
    I know what I am talking about on this topic as I am smoker myself, fortunately for me I am also the employer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

"We get numerous Cvs without any qualification. The standard of spelling & grammer on most is terrible aswell. Yesterday I got a cv in where the person used "den" instead of then. "

You might wanna work on your own spelling before judging others! It's spelled Grammar. And your own Grammer is not great either, the corporate, professional standard is 2 spaces after a full stop. Also, it's CV, or C.V.

So, in insulting other people's spelling and grammar, you've highlighted your own shortcomings. Maybe interview some of them, and don't be so quick to judge.

I wouldn't highlight this, except for the fact that I appreciate the irony.

One of my best mates can hardly spell his name. He still makes a huge amount of money working in Sales, commercially he's a genius.

"We get numerous Cvs without any qualification. The standard of spelling & grammer on most is terrible aswell. Yesterday I got a cv in where the person used "den" instead of then. "

You might wanna work on your own spelling before judging others! It's spelled Grammar. And your own Grammer is not great either, the corporate, professional standard is 2 spaces after a full stop. Also, it's CV, or C.V.

So, in insulting other people's spelling and grammar, you've highlighted your own shortcomings. Maybe interview some of them, and don't be so quick to judge.

I wouldn't highlight this, except for the fact that I appreciate the irony.

One of my best mates can hardly spell his name. He still makes a huge amount of money working in Sales, commercially he's a genius.

Whilst you are correct, in fairness to the OP - there is a big difference between drafting a CV for a job which is extremely important, and throwing a thread onto an internet forum.

I work within employment and recruitment and the standard and quality of CV now as against 5 years ago is somewhat but not massively worse.

If I get a CV that has good experience but is not well put together - I will send it back to the applicant highlighting some of the issues and request that they do some work on it before submitting it further. At least this offers a chance to turn the application around. Some people as you mentioned are brilliant at what they do, but lack skills when it comes to document drafting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For many employers, smokers are a real problem and they will not employ them. They tend to spend too much time on smoke breaks, ....

There can be a flip side to this. I remember a large company I worked for where some of the most productive 'meetings' were over a cigarette. Depends on the the type of organisation and probably applies less for smaller companies. Nevertheless, I'd generally agree the gist of your point as a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well while the others may have a few comments on the grammar and Spelling mistakes the comment made above that this is indeed a forum..
    From my own personal experience my writing is very good "apparantely" on documents and have published work online in the marketing industry and have been praised for the style, layout presentation weirdly enough - but have been laughed at more times on this forum that i can care to remember by others.. again because its a forum :S
    I have graduated twice from college .. Great idea to return the not so great Cvs btw ..

So even do you might say the CV standard may be a problem i would have to suggest you dig deeper into why you are not getting a higher calibre of applicants..

- Perhaps the payments are minimum wage, which is tough going when full time for both parties - high turnover of staff etc
    - Tough work for the wage (Psychical Labour) - Why people arent turning up .. ?

These would be off more concern than the writing skills of the applicants, as above applicant suggested that his sales type friend is a genius when it comes to personal relationships. I have a similar friend, he can walk into a room and shine like a halogen bulb but not so book smart or any way academic when it comes to writing something from scratch.

Hope this helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jasonpat

In interviews first of the thing we notice is qualifications after that experience so you guys can also follow this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One of the issues with poor CVs may be some of the free CV referral services available out there. In my experience many CVs created by these bodies are abysmal, with little knowledge of professional CV requirements, layout or style.

I would recommend potential candidates get professional help with their CVs or even go the library and look up some recent references on the subject of how to create a good CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would say part of the problem is that people don't think a not so serious job needs a serious CV.

What I mean by that is, when applying for a part time job its sometimes enough to leave a phone number in the local shop, have a quick chat and show up a week later. Other times you're asked for a CV and interview and people don't realize that a professional standard CV is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Are the positions your advertising minimum wage jobs?

If so....

Then people in Ireland are getting fed up of the rubbish of formal dress and other such things when applying for jobs which after the expenses of working i.e transport, food and work clothes will give them no more than 40 Euro a week more than the dole.

Don't get me wrong it's better to be working but why the rubbish from companies if it's a minimum wage job then why would a person where a suit? why need anything more than your leaving cert for minimum wage?

Also If it is a minimum wage job then a company can't really complain about the quality of applicants... If you pay peanuts then don't expect anything but monkeys applying..... simple.

Some people in HR departments within companies that pay the majority of their workforce minimum wage really think they should be attracting quality applicants for some unknown reason.. And also like to feel sort of inferior to others by suggesting people cant write quality CV's and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

@Otto

Whether its a minimum paid job or not,its a rung on the ladder,a foot in the door.Its gets you off the crap of hanging around all day.

Also dont they say its easier to get a job when you already have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

@Otto

Whether its a minimum paid job or not,its a rung on the ladder,a foot in the door.Its gets you off the crap of hanging around all day.

Also dont they say its easier to get a job when you already have a job.

I agree 100% with you, just not with the rubbish companies go on with for applicants for minimum wage jobs. Why would I need anything other that my leaving cert for a minimum wage job? why would I need to go buy a suit for 150Euro to go for a interview for a minimum wage job? just doesn't add up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

otto_26 wrote: »
    I agree 100% with you, just not with the rubbish companies go on with for applicants for minimum wage jobs. Why would I need anything other that my leaving cert for a minimum wage job? why would I need to go buy a suit for 150Euro to go for a interview for a minimum wage job? just doesn't add up...

There are some employers taking the piss(and losing money by doing so) with some of the carry on. I have heard of 2 rounds of interviews being done for deli / corner-shop work. Just because there are many unemployed, dont waste time holding out for a sous chef. Pick the best of 5-6, give them a trial and if they are not cutting the mustard as it were, let them go and get the next best one in.

I am currently in the running for 2 jobs. The amount of time they take humming and hawing over things is daft. Ok, its not a minimum wage job, but eventually one of them is going to lose out to the other, and then it will be back to the beginning with another candidate for them, meanwhile the company picks up the cheque for the lost productivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I would say part of the problem is that people don't think a not so serious job needs a serious CV.
    Realistically it shouldn't, but never underestimate how people fall back on formality when they otherwise don't know what they're doing.
    syklops wrote: »
    There are some employers taking the piss(and losing money by doing so) with some of the carry on. I have heard of 2 rounds of interviews being done for deli / corner-shop work. Just because there are many unemployed, dont waste time holding out for a sous chef. Pick the best of 5-6, give them a trial and if they are not cutting the mustard as it were, let them go and get the next best one in.
    Ireland, or any Anglophone nation, is a lot more relaxed in the employment process than you'll get in continental Europe.

In Germany, for example, they will expect a full application from the start; this isn't only your CV, but copies of all your certificates, diplomas and degrees and copies of all your reference letters - which are still given when you leave every job and are written using Byzantine code.

Advertisement