Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UPC to WiMax

• 08-11-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hows it going guys,

I have TV Phone and Broadband with UPC, but as of last week everything just randomly stopped working. Engineer came out Monday, couldn't figure out what the issue is and now it seems like they are putting it on the long finger.
    (no call back, no follow-up appointments - basically i'm getting the impression that they couldn't be arsed trying to resolve it)

I said that if it is not fully resolved by the end of the week, I will have to cancel everything and switch providers. (So far it seems like this will be the case)

Moving to Sky Digital for my TV is fine, but my main concern is moving from UPC 50Mb Fibre Power BroadBand to something like WiMax 7mb.

UPC internet had been brilliant so far, for the likes of Xbox Live, Netflix etc ... Will 7mb WiMax be enough? ... I have haven't heard too many good things about WiMax tbh so I'd be a bit concerned at making the switch.

Thanks for any input / advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Try contacting them on twitter - normally get a fast response there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ION08 wrote: »
    my main concern is moving from UPC 50Mb Fibre Power BroadBand to something like WiMax 7mb.

"Something like" will be exactly that. You will almost never get 7mb, and more often than not will get a lot less.

UPC 50mb broadband is more likely to give you 40+ mb, and be reliable.

With your current problems, just keep calling them and hassling them until they resolve the issue. Also, ask for compensation for loss of service (like a week free or such).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Keep persisting with UPC to get the problem resolved.
    If you do move, you will be cursing yourself when you get somthing like Wimax in.

My folks had UPC, and for some mad reason they moved to another provider. In 5 or 6 years with UPC, they had 0 issues and free(ish) upgrades from 1MB up to 25MB over that time.
    With this other provider, they have now got download speeds that are nowhere near the advertised UP TO speeds and about 1/25th of what they used to have.
    And they also have a service that tends to keep dropping.

No offence to WiMax here, I'm sure they have a good service, but UPC offers the best service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If you do move, you will be cursing yourself when you get somthing like Wimax in.

That's really my main concern.

Ideally i'd love to stay with UPC, but I need internet for work and my GF needs it for college.

We've been without TV and Internet for a week now and it seems like upc just want to drag it out.

I just don't understand why after 1 year everything just stopped working.

I'd love for them to be able to just sort it but I've a feeling that after 2 weeks they'll just turn around and say oh sorry, we cant figure it out, we cant provide you with the service anymore :( .. So i'm just exploring my alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Are your neighbours in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Persist with calling UPC regularly, even get on to the UPC Reps on boards and see if they can assist.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Are your neighbours in the same boat?

No, I live in an apartment complex. It seems to be just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Thats strange, usually there is a switch in a cupboard somewhere to switch on and off certain appartments and no problems. Unless there is an issue with the cabling, like a rodent issue or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As mentioned above, start a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546 and complain directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Thats strange, usually there is a switch in a cupboard somewhere to switch on and off certain appartments and no problems. Unless there is an issue with the cabling, like a rodent issue or something.

this happened me last year, someone in my apartment block was messing with switches i presume trying to enable tv or broadband for themselves but turned me off in the process, was 10 days without service but got it refunded back on next bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, an apartment block I visit has the node boxes in the basement carpark all open and within reach of anyone 6ft or more. In ten seconds I could disconnect 50+ apartments and walk off nobody any the wiser. Get onto the reps to get a callout. They have testers and will be able to see exactly whats going on with the line. If everything is gone then its likely the same as the poster above.

Well i got an appointment for a second engineer call out on friday morning. While i was waiting for them to come out i decides to play around with the cables myself for a bit.

I basically disconnected it, blew into it, reconnected it and jiggled it around abit to loosen any creases and wouldnt you know its back working again.

Funny that the initial UPC engineer spent the best part of an hour looking at it on Monday and wasnt able to get it working :-/

Annoyed that i was without any service for a week and their "engineer" wasnt able to sort it initially. Glad i was able to sort it myself because if i hadnt god only know how much longer it would have been dragged on for!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Try the Talk to UPC forum here and try talking to them on Twitter, the people there are really nice and might be more helpful than on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rat catcher

imagine are nothing but problems stay with upc

• imagine are nothing but problems stay with upc
    really why so?

wiimax.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

I randomly lost UPC service in my apartment last year, and it was down to one of my neighbours randomly switching cables to try and get free telly. UPC were rubbish in diagnosing the problem, and in the end I had to take matters into my own hand and switch the cables back.

Have a look to see if your cable has been disconnected. They normally tag the cables with the apartment number - and in my case there was an A and B cable, because I had a UPC point in the bedroom too.

bloomfield wrote: »
    I randomly lost UPC service in my apartment last year, and it was down to one of my neighbours randomly switching cables to try and get free telly. UPC were rubbish in diagnosing the problem, and in the end I had to take matters into my own hand and switch the cables back.

Have a look to see if your cable has been disconnected. They normally tag the cables with the apartment number - and in my case there was an A and B cable, because I had a UPC point in the bedroom too.

As I said, I already fixed the problem myself. One of the cables must have been loose or crumpled up in the main cabinet where all the connections are bunched together.

I just removed it stretched it out a bit, gave it a jiggle and put it back it and it has been working fine since then. :D

UPC internet is great but I agree with you that they are RUBBISH when it comes to diagnosing any problems. :rolleyes:

sorry took me so long to get back, but connection kept dropping! I have the 7mb and phone package, when I got it it was ok normally 5-6 mb but it slowly went down and down! I am lucky to get a connection now. They told me they boosted the power up but it has made no difference. I now get between 0 and 1.9mb, I have tried it in the middle of the night and still no change. Phone was ok 99% of the time 8205943797_0d65fa8139_m.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    really why so?

wiimax.png
    I don't get it.. :confused:
    Are you trying to say they're not trouble with your speedtest result? Cos those results are a far cry from proper 2012 broadband speeds, especially when UPC's entry level is 5 times of that..

I can understand if you posted about a good experience with the company but I just don't get why you would post that result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    really why so?

wiimax.png

Wooooow, WiMax must be real pro. UPC:

2321005303.png

We had WiMax before, they were terrible. Service that cut in and out frequently, would go down for hours at a time, never gave decent pings, and really bad service on the phone. The straw that broke the camels back was when they cut us off for some ridiculous length of time without warning for supposedly going over a traffic cap that was never made clear to us. They were also really obnoxious on the phone and entirely unwilling to compromise. UPC are ten times better, I can't say enough bad things about Imagine.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    We had WiMax before, they were terrible. Service that cut in and out frequently, would go down for hours at a time, never gave decent pings, and really bad service on the phone. The straw that broke the camels back was when they cut us off for some ridiculous length of time without warning for supposedly going over a traffic cap that was never made clear to us. They were also really obnoxious on the phone and entirely unwilling to compromise. UPC are ten times better, I can't say enough bad things about Imagine.
    Absolutely. When we got WiMax in when it initally rolled out, the service was dismal. Luckily, I didnt cancel Eircom so we stil had a stable connection.

For me, xbox live was impossible on WiMax and having one ethernet port was a real annoyance! Could be fixed using a switch.

And as mentioned above, you can't compare Imagine WiMax with UPC. With WiMax, the max I would get 4/5Mb (at 2am in morning!), and I get 100Mb for cheaper than what WiMax costs!

WiMax 10Mb costs €65 (with phone bundle) and UPC 100Mb is €49 (some difference with free calls etc).

2322459856.png

having a good night here with wimax :eek:2323281696.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Can see why everyone is complaing once you set it up right you should be fine have a look at your wimax cinr on your routers page onces it around 17-18 you should be fine
    35a6tf9.jpg

stevek93 wrote: »
    Can see why everyone is complaing once you set it up right you should be fine have a look at your wimax cinr on your routers page onces it around 17-18 you should be fine
    35a6tf9.jpg
    Hi Steve, cant get into the wimax cpe page as I dont have a password.
    8209311020_b32421d9ea_m.jpg :mad:

Hi Steve, cant get into the wimax cpe page as I dont have a password.
    8209311020_b32421d9ea_m.jpg :mad:

Look at my link you need to add :2000 at the end.

Hi Steve, did try that when I seen your post. Didnt work for me, not to worry. Thanks for your imput!

Hi Steve, did try that when I seen your post. Didnt work for me, not to worry. Thanks for your imput!

What didn't work did you get a higher number?

Was telling a neighbour about my problems with imagine and checked out his set up with digi-web. He is on phone package and 30mb for just a few € more so I have canceled imagine wimax and going to try didi-web. Cant be any worse! :rolleyes:
    2329057361.png

Was telling a neighbour about my problems with imagine and checked out his set up with digi-web. He is on phone package and 30mb for just a few € more so I have canceled imagine wimax and going to try didi-web. Cant be any worse! :rolleyes:
    2329057361.png

Aren't there download caps meant to be rubbish?

• Advertisement

Hi steve, yea its 100gb a month, but I dont use much just want something to work when I need it! Thanks for your help! I will see how it goes and report back ,but as you can see at the moment I might as well be on dial-up!

Advertisement