Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto Grande Heater Problem

Options
  • 08-11-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

In the last couple of weeks my Fiat Punto Grande Dynamic (2006) has lost the ability to blow hot air even after the car has heated up and temperature gauge has reached the middle...The fans work fine to blow cold air.

The fan had become a little dodgy lately and sometimes wouldn't work at all for a couple seconds after turning the car on - however this could be fixed by "gently" hitting the middle of the dash board so that's probably just a loose wire.

Another thing I noticed was if I turned the heat on, even though the car itself wouldn't heat up I could get the smell of melting plastic which seems to indicate the heating system still works but it's something that channels the hot hair into the car that is the problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Make sure you have enough coolant in the radiator. Without coolant you have no fluid to transport the heat to the fan.
    Even if coolant is low car may not overheat still so this would be my first check.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kdarcy9

Ok cool, I'll give that a go when I get home!

Thanks biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The fan motor and it's series resistor for it give a fair bit of bother in the Grande.

Loss of one or more fan speed is usually the resistor

No go or smell of burning can be the fan motor.

If everything is ok electrically and you've still no heat then I'd get the coolant level and circulation checked. The Grande's cooling system is far more robust that earlier Punto's and coolant level's aside, I doubt if this is causing a problem.

Also replace the pollen filter as if it's blocked will cause poor ventilation and causes the fan motor to run far hotter than is ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kdarcy9

biko,

it was the coolant...practically had none in the car...I'll have to keep a look out for a leak but thanks for the help you saved me a trip to the garage and saved me a few quid too!

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boards saves the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

kdarcy9 wrote: »
    biko,

it was the coolant...practically had none in the car...I'll have to keep a look out for a leak but thanks for the help you saved me a trip to the garage and saved me a few quid too!

Cheers!!
    Make sure you've no leaks and that system has been bled for air.

Advertisement