Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 Month Old Rejecting her Dad

Options
  • 08-11-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

My daughter is 11 months and recently, after a kidney infection, she has began to cry when I try to take her up in my arms. We got on great before the kidney infection and she used to rush to meet me in the evenings in her walker, with a big smile on her face. She will sometimes strike out at me when she is in my wife's arms or cry when i go near her. When we are alone she is OK and we get on alright, but as soon as her Mommy, Granny or even her aunty arrives, she wants to go to them straight away. In the last month I have done quiet a bit of overtime at work recently, so this might be a cause for it. I don't spend as much alone time with her as my wife or the grannies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a sign all parents should have framed on the wall - it says 'Its only a phase, it will pass' :D Don't worry about it, just carry on, if she wants to go to mamma let her, she will come round.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nothing to worry about CyberDave and there should be no reason for you to analyse your behaviour.

Kids are kids and do nutty things. Sometimes this is ignoring you, or wanting your complete attention.

looksee is spot on with 'Its only a phase, it will pass'

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Also key to remember is

"its not personal"

They go through phases throughout development like this and my hubby has to be constantly reminded that its not about him:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My grand-daughter did this to her Dad. When she was a baby she was clung to him, would only settle if he sang to her, he was the one who would take her to bed but around the same age as your daughter she just took agin him for no obvious reason and only wanted her Mother or Nan if they were there - but was perfectly happy with her Dad when they were alone.
    He was really very upset about it even though we said it was nothing to worry about and was tormenting himself trying to find the 'cause'.
    Just as quickly, she was back to being Daddy's girl so it did pass and she is now 6 and adores her Dad.
    Don't worry OP. I know it hurts but it is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

If it's any consolation my sis-in-laws doctor told her that these phases are healthy and a good indication that there is no issue such as autism etc. It hurts but is normal. Big hugs OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It will come and go throughout their childhood. You'll find when she is three/four/ten and even beyond she will have phases of "I want mammy to read me a story" or "I want to play with dad". Its normal and sometimes its acutally quite nice to know they want someone else, it gives you a bit of a rest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its called 'winding daddy round my little finger' and practise for when she is 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Ours was like that and now, a few months later, I might as well be invisible when Dada is in the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OP, mine is 1 year old and he went through a phase of only wanting his dad. I think I'd rather be rejected, it's hard work when you're the only person he wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, my little one did that with me for a while after having done it to her mum for a few months before that. Even at 4 she has days of just wanting me or just wanting her mammy.

Totally normal OP, like most things with babies: just go with the flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Charl0tte

Very typical of a child her age Dave, nothing to worry about. I know it feels a little hurtful, but it is not indicative of how she feels about you, definitely just a phase. My kids would give their father a random slap if the mood took them, but if I tried to take them off their grandmother I was on the receiving end :D It will pass :)

Advertisement