Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Senior Hurler Assaults Girl

• 08-11-2012 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Not good news for galway hurling! Davy Glennon convicted of assault on a woman yesterday.. Its on the front page of the Daily Star..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Any link to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Might the use of the word "allegedly" in the opening post be worth considering?

This too. I know this was in the Connacht Tribune or some local paper before but it'd save a of trouble if you could link it in the OP as there's nothing online on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

A gratuitous headline from a redtop.

1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Title should be ".....woman"

This is what I saw, way worse

Galway Senior Hurler Assaults Girl (4)

Just an observation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Old news, been going on for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

She should've hit him back.

He'd have gone down like a sack of spuds. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Sure his plea was guilty and he was convicted of the assault on the woman! so why would the word "allegedly" need to be used!?
    This too. I know this was in the Connacht Tribune or some local paper before but it'd save a of trouble if you could link it in the OP as there's nothing online on it.

That was the hearing that was in the Connacht before, the case was heard only yesterday and he was convicted of assault!!

gaa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

sniper83 wrote: »
    Sure his plea was guilty and he was convicted of the assault on the woman! so why would the word "allegedly" need to be used!?

The question was posed because the opening post simply stated that he had been "charged with assault". There was no reference to an admission of guilt, a conviction, nor indeed was there a link to the story.

In light of all that, I would have thought my question would have been reasonable? :rolleyes:

The question was posed because the opening post simply stated that he had been "charged with assault". There was no reference to an admission of guilt, a conviction, nor indeed was there a link to the story.

In light of all that, I would have thought my question would have been reasonable? :rolleyes:

my bad :P i thought u had read the article in the paper..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

250 fine for assualt and on a woman??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

sasta le wrote: »
    250 fine for assualt and on a woman??
    So it should be more just because it's a woman?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Ok see your point,but a lady being weaker etc and respect factor.
    If you assualted anyone in a pub male or female a few weeks in jail would be better and make him he is shamed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

sasta le wrote: »
    Ok see your point,but a lady being weaker etc and respect factor.
    If you assualted anyone in a pub male or female a few weeks in jail would be better and make him he is shamed

Well the fact that national papers ran with the story and that he has been convicted is shame in itself.

I'm curious; do you (or anyone else) know what exactly he did? Because assault can be as little as just shoving someone, in which case jail would be ridiculous?

I'm open to correction, but a fine that small and no other action suggests to me that this was a minor incident. Calling for jail is a bit strong in my opinion! (Based on my assumption it was a minor incident.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is his private business, who cares? He is an amateur playing giving his all for the association. This is his private life and people should butt out and cop on before getting all judgmental.

Galway supporters care, he is some role model for kids:rolleyes: he should be dropped from the panel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thristydevil

That is not good the game should be of free of any voilent and tragic fights potty-patrol.com
    because this is against the spirit of games management and police should take notice of this act.

jordainius wrote: »
    Well the fact that national papers ran with the story and that he has been convicted is shame in itself.

I'm curious; do you (or anyone else) know what exactly he did? Because assault can be as little as just shoving someone, in which case jail would be ridiculous?

I'm open to correction, but a fine that small and no other action suggests to me that this was a minor incident. Calling for jail is a bit strong in my opinion! (Based on my assumption it was a minor incident.)

I wouldnt call punching a girl in the face and knocking her unconscious a minor incident..:eek: He got off lightly because of who he is.. I guess there is nothing stopping the woman taking a civil case against him but he should have got more of a punishment!! either way he can kiss goodbye to his hurling career for the county!

page4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not a nice incident, but management and supporters have been aware of it for a while now. Don't think you have to be whiter-than-white morally to be an inter-county player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

MfMan wrote: »
    Not a nice incident, but management and supporters have been aware of it for a while now. Don't think you have to be whiter-than-white morally to be an inter-county player?
    Do you fuuck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I wouldnt call punching a girl in the face and knocking her unconscious a minor incident..:eek:

A small bit of cop on lacking in that post, there's no other information posted as to the severity of the incident.
    He got off lightly because of who he is

but he should have got more of a punishment!!

Depending on the severity - that picture of the article in the CT is hard to read - the probation act and a fine is a common punishment for the first offence (I'm assuming it's a first offence, I haven't heard of previous convictions).

So because of who he is you want the book thrown at him? That's hardly fair or just.
    either way he can kiss goodbye to his hurling career for the county!

Not likely, there have been plenty of people charged and convicted of stuff and it hasn't stopped their careers.

I don't think he got off because he's a Galway sub in all fairness. Not exactly top of the fame food chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What were the pleas of mitigation that his solicitor offered to the court on his behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Packattack

Classy hurler. He cleaned up in the U21 final V Dub in 2011 at corner forward. Won an All-Ireland Minor prior to that. Played in the senior final V KK in 2012.

Shame bout the temperament though.

Not his first time before the courts either, this. So a €250 fine is light. He had been before the courts (along with two other clubmen) in Feb 2010, in Nov 09. They went after the ref after losing their county semi-final to Loughrea by a point. Pretty disgraceful really.

How do you think that ref Helebert feels, or that girl Callinan?

As of 2015, he’s still involved, was part of the panel V Laois last wk, and had a good NHL. Played well all of 2014.

These few court appearances for violent incidents haven’t hindered his life in any way, he’s flying it.

I dunno what to make of it.

Packattack wrote: »
    Classy hurler. He cleaned up in the U21 final V Dub in 2011 at corner forward. Won an All-Ireland Minor prior to that. Played in the senior final V KK in 2012.

Shame bout the temperament though.

Not his first time before the courts either, this. So a €250 fine is light. He had been before the courts (along with two other clubmen) in Feb 2010, in Nov 09. They went after the ref after losing their county semi-final to Loughrea by a point. Pretty disgraceful really.

How do you think that ref Helebert feels, or that girl Callinan?

As of 2015, he’s still involved, was part of the panel V Laois last wk, and had a good NHL. Played well all of 2014.

These few court appearances for violent incidents haven’t hindered his life in any way, he’s flying it.

I dunno what to make of it.

You do know this was years ago.

You do know this was years ago.

Yip. Twas three yrs ago. Was watching the 2011 U21 final today on DVD, gave him a Google to see if he broke through to senior level, and unfortunately a colourful past came up.
    Let’s hope his hurling does the talking from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Will ya remove the names there for the love of christ. She's well past it and I doubt wants her name dragged up again, Neither does the ref id imagine. You'd swear you had an old score to settle yourself

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Will ya remove the names there for the love of christ. She's well past it and I doubt wants her name dragged up again, Neither does the ref id imagine. You'd swear you had an old score to settle yourself

Grand. Let it.

Advertisement