Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank & Percolation

• 08-11-2012 12:28pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    We have a house constructed 8 years ago. We have a figure 8 tank. 1 inlet, 1 outlet.
    Percolation area has 3 pipes, I can't see a distribution box, so I am HOPING there is one!
    What we now have is 3 pipes in the percolation area, 2 of them you can't see sticking out of the ground.
    1 you can just see the top of it.
    Where the middle one of the 3 pipes runs has gone very soggy and the grass is growing like MAD! there is an area of about 3 foot wide and about 30ft long where this heavy green grass occurs.
    The other 2 don't have this problem.
    The tank itself is filled to the lids with water, I got it cleaned out there 3 months ago and its filled again.

The setup with tank is that all waste, both toilet and appliance/sink is going into the tank.

The tank and the percolation is situated on a hill.
    You can get an idea of the slant of the hill there in the pic below.
    The 2 pipes (1 is now buried) and the tank is above that to left.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_6jZov0cu1b0/RjG6lweMBWI/AAAAAAAAAC8/51-10mZNiPY/s400/Garden2.JPG

Since the tank went in the area all around has been rised in order to try and "level" the site, so the ground on 2 of the 4 sides of the tank is higher.
    But thats been done a good while and the problem with soggy ground and a tank full of water is only there for the last 12 months or so.

Also a shed has been built about 30ft away from the tank, it has been suggested the rain water from this is adding to the problem...

SO, can anyone see any potential problems there, I am presuming a big green band of grass and a tank full of water isn't normal!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement