Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Work/Labouring Work?

• 08-11-2012 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey guys/gals hopeing to go to canada in feb or march hopefully . If iam luckly enough to get a visa when they are avaiable. I have been doin an electricial apprenticeship up to now but got let go due to lack of work. I was soo close to finishing it had just 23 weks to do.i dont fancy staying on the dole i have always been working since i left school.so my question is where should i head for work in canada? Iam goin solo.i will work at anthin just to have a job and be kept busy and paying my own way is all i want.i will have about 5000euro after i pay for visa flights etc.i would be hopeing to get work in the cons industry but am open to all helpful comments or suggestions.cheers rj.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

I feel for ya being so close to qualifying. Is there any hope of you finishing your time here before you go? I'd imagine you'd have a better chance of employment if you go out qualified.

I'm planning on going out myself if I get the visa.I'm a qualified bricklayer and from the research I've done so far the advice is to avoid the bigger cities because the cost of living is high.

Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC seem to be the places to look at.Take any job you can at first so that you have an income although five grand is loads to keep you going for a few months.

Hope it goes well for you and we may even bump into each other:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd second Mickob's sentiment about finishing your apprenticiship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Salmonfella

Thanks for your comments lad .but how do i gone are the days i could ask neighbour joe to put me on his books as no1 will bother takeing me on haveing to pay me a wage when fas has a scheme in place that allows such empoylers to take on redudant apprentices for free and fas will pay there wage.but that scheme is a set number of weeks and just 7 phases but my problem is i have my 7 phaes done but short time overall to make my 4years.thanks for comments so far :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 s14a johno

your crazy man, sorry but just crazy finish it off it be best ing you evey do, 5 years and ya so close,

canada will always be there and oz, it a trade at the end of the day and it get you any where, load jobs on fas mate for app sparks
    mark one the lads in same boat he getn a lad sign off on his last few months
    money will be **** but take a pay cut do anyting to get it finished man,

iam sparky 8 years and best ting i ever done

Thanks mate i rang everyone of them no joy i will keep ringing its just soo annoying got credits all exams always worked anywhere i was sent its just a let down its at the point where i just feel like givein up on it sumeone told me its time to give up on it 5 years and still no cert i think shes right.thanks for all comments though.

• Advertisement

Thanks mate i rang everyone of them no joy i will keep ringing its just soo annoying got credits all exams always worked anywhere i was sent its just a let down its at the point where i just feel like givein up on it sumeone told me its time to give up on it 5 years and still no cert i think shes right.thanks for all comments though.

man if ya like what ya do? and ya find it intressing and have the heart for it, i just wouldnt let it slide, it great for someone to say no cert in 5 years, but ya got payed for those 5 years over someone else who went to collage,

i done 8 years nite course for a degree and sponcshipe feel thru in oz but iam still here still stronge becasue i love the industry iam in,
    belive id try my best to get those 23 weeks, i know 6 months, but ya work so hard to get to were ya are, this comeing from someone who done it i know it all, it tuff when the stakes are down but chin up mate, you will get there, if i see anyting ill pass it on buddy, but stay in there boss :):):)

i know intel been pushed back 6 months, keey group another 6 away and then gunniess are just layn the foundation, so work be a while, but say ya work for x mount pound just finish your trade buddy

Thanks very much bud,all the best in oz hope it works out for ya :-)

cheers mate headn to canada, but if ya headn oz, sure drop us a pm have few contacts there

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Whatever you do,finish your time lad.You'll regret it forever if you don't.There is someone somewhere who'll take you on, even as the lads above said,take a pay cut,do the few months you've left and get yourself qualified.I'm presuming your only in your mid-20's so you've plenty of time to get to Canada.

You'll have a better life and standard of living as a qualified sparky than a general labourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dirtynelly

well salmon
    dont forget bout me it took me nearly 6 years just to get called to phase 6 in dit
    stick at it you madman -but i get what your saying i remember being frustrated like fcuk waiting to finish it

remember aswell that you have the year to start it once it is granted<the visa>

if you have your phase 7 then why you need 23 more weeks ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement