Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New members starting new threads

Options
  • 08-11-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,428 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you think it would be a good idea to have a way of stopping new members from starting threads? I've noticed a lot of times that new accounts start silly/unnecessary/trolling threads.

My own suggestion would be that a member has to have 100 posts before they can start a thread. I think it would make it would make the mods job a lot easier.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Such a restriction would dramatically hamper the site's growth. A lot of people register to ask questions about things they need specific information on and end up staying once they stray out into the wider site. 100 posts to start a thread would lead to these people shrugging their shoulders and going to another forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It would be more beneficial to limit posting in AH by postcount - say minimum 10 - might deter a lot of trolls. Not really easily workable in vB though afaik.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

People will just spam junk for the 100 to start threads, just as some do for the 10 for thanks or 25 for a sig more commonly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Spear wrote: »
    People will just spam junk for the 100 to start threads, just as some do for the 10 for thanks or 25 for a sig more commonly.

This. I mean it's not like it's a website with one demographic and one topic in mind; there are what... 80+ boards or something? It's easy to hit 100 posts within an hour or two if you try to post as much as possible.

And while in theory it would really help with spambots and others making new topics, it won't cut down on spambots spamming in topics. And trust me, it'll be spammed in topics if they can't create one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

80+ boards or something?
    Try sticking a 0 at the end and you're closer to the actual figure ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Limit everyone to 3 posts per week. That would pare down junk posts like this one quickly enough. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

It's a pity it's not possible to for AH, as it's one of the biggest targets, I assume. I don't think the 100 post thing is actually such a bad idea, if it was doable. If someone racked up 100 posts in a very short space of time, surely it would send up some flags? 100 posts, spammy shyte or not, would take some level of patience, and might in a way to deter trolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I signed up to boards in order to start a thread (seeking a bit of technical assistance). If I had been prevented from doing that, I probably would not be here now.

Okay, some people might see my continuing presence a good argument for prohibiting new signups starting threads. But I have the impression that my case is typical of many new signups: they join because they want to get some sort of help.

I also have the impression that a good proportion of the supposedly-new users who cause trouble are not new at all: they are re-regs. A quick look through the prison forum supports my supposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just wondering if you think it would be a good idea to have a way of stopping new members from starting threads? I've noticed a lot of times that new accounts start silly/unnecessary/trolling threads.

My own suggestion would be that a member has to have 100 posts before they can start a thread. I think it would make it would make the mods job a lot easier.
    Any examples of such threads as a matter of interest? I don't see it as a major problem tbh and I'd sat someone with a bigger postcount is just as capable of starting a crap thread as someone new to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

eagle eye wrote: »

Thats a very cliquey attitude you have there poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 katmoo32

Well I'm a reasonably new user and have a genuine question I want to ask on a new thread and it won't let me which is bloody ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's nothing stopping you from doing so (bar a few specific exceptions such as soccer).

Advertisement