Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/Homeplug Issues

• 08-11-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, first time poster and not entirely sure what to do here.
    I have the dreaded Ciso router from UPC which complicates my problem already, and I also now have a new pair of powerline homeplugs that I can't get to pair. TP-LINK 200mbps that won't work and they're just new.

I have had NAT issues with this router before and resolved them by opening ports and such, and now it doesn't seem to be picking up or working with these homeplugs. They have the newest updated drivers and refuse to connect.

Using my incredibly slow wireless to post this hoping for an easy solution i'm not seeing, dying to play Halo 4 online as i've beat the campaign twice now.
    Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, completely lost here. Feel free to ask if you need more information, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The homeplugs should just work, and your router has nothing to do with it. Firstly, make sure you don't have them plugged into an extension lead that has any kind of surge suppression, as they won't work in that case. I've also seen them being picky about those multi-way 2 or 3-way adapters, so try plugging them straight into the wall socket.

If that's not the problem, try plugging them in in two sockets close together in the same room and see if that works. If they work then, but not in the places you want them to work then there's something quirky about the wiring in your house that's preventing them working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

also make sure it is tightly connected to each unit-like yourself i was struggling with it until i realised the laptop connection was slightly loose-since then bingo.
    also disable the wireless network connection on the pc/laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pjproby wrote: »
    also disable the wireless network connection on the pc/laptop.
    Not strictly necessary. A wired connection will have a lower metric than a wireless one and take precedence in the routing tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i found myself that my laptop kept defaulting to the wireless for reasons best known to its ancient self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Here's a really stupid dumb idea that worked for me.

I was setting the same Homeplugs as the OP up for a mate and we were pushing the limit of the units but they worked straight out of the box but only for a minute or two.

We went through a process of elimination by starting with the plugs side by side in a double socket and slowly moving them apart but everytime we got more than say 10m apart the link failed after a few minutes.

Before finally giving up I said lets just swap the plugs over, one plug had always been used at the router end an the other at the PC client end - and that fixed the problem :confused:

Checking with the monitor that comes on the CD with the plugs we found that anything less than 20-40% would fail, bad way around we got 20-40% at the range we wanted which was a very quick fail (the monitor then fails to see the furtest most plug) but when switched around even the same run was giving 60-80% and has been working fine since.

And OP I have come across one "pair" of out of the box TP-Link Homeplugs that never ever paired for some reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement