Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI BUSINESS ON LINE WONT RUN ON MAC

Options
  • 08-11-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI BOI,

As BOI online does not support Apple OS, I cannot any longer use BOI Online to support my business electronically.
    Today I traveled to the local BOI branch in Drogheda to carry our a Business to business payment by International Transfer as I have done several times in the past to pay a supplier in China some $1300 for parts ordered.

I was informed that BOI branches no longer handle TT's with a value less than €3000 and I was told to do the transaction online !! I was told to apply for a Business Visa Debit Card ( application 3 to 5 days ). The supplier is expecting payment to his bank account . This is Business to business not B to C.

After queueing for 20mins, filling out 2 forms and waiting a further 10mins to have a draft signed, I was able to have a bank draft made out for the required payment and I now have to go to a courier company to have the draft delivered to my supplier which will take a further 3 days transit time to China. This is a "dark ages" solution.

Is BOI at all interested in supporting Irish businesses ? How can BOI withdraw a TT service ( withdrawn 22-10 ) without providing a comprehensive alternative ! TT's used to be possible but not now.

40% of Students buy Apple Mac's. The innovators of the future. 25% of sales of new computers are Mac. It is the safest operating system in the world. I'm 46 and just converted my business to MAC's for a 100 good technical reasons. 45% of Global users use Google Chrome ( which runs on MAC ) as their browser not Internet Explorer which has just 16% of user penetration.

I've been told that BOI have critical security on the Internet Explorer OS to avoid fraud. However I walked into the branch, gave over the company account number and without any PIN number , without any ID and without any single security question I was able to withdraw the $1300 from my company account. I could have been anyone. The person serving me was unknown to me and me to them. ZERO security whatsoever.

Can I please have some feedback on when BOI will support the fastest growing OS in the world or most used Browser ( Chrome )
    TO cap off my morning I got a €40 parking fine for being delayed in the Bank queue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi peacai1966,

Currently it's possible to access Business On Line on Mac using virtualisation software, however, we don't offer technical support for it.

If you would like to PM us with your contact details, we'd be happy to arrange a callback to discuss your online business banking needs.

Thanks for getting in touch,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peacai1966

HI Graham, The virtualisation software you refer to is available from companies such as "Parallels" which costs €80 to install and creates an environment upon which Windows OS can be loaded but requiring a further investment to then purchase a valid FULL ( no upgrades allowed ) copy of Windows OS. That is an outlay of €300 euro to buy software that is not supported.

45% of users use Google Chrome and 5% of users use Apple Safari, so 50% of the potential users would benefit if BOI supported Chrome. BY contrast just 16% of users use Internet Explorer....the only option supported by BOI. Those are not my figures these are validated statistics from international sources.

BOI is failing to meet the demands and trends of computer users that run modern dynamic companies. Defaulting to a virtualisation solution is a cop out.

The local BOI branch has my personal details and the local CS advisor promised that I would get a call today from my "dedicated business account manager" but predictably I did not. Not really surprising when the same CS advisor tried to send my Bank Draft to SUDUKO rather than Suzhou China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi peacai1966,

Thanks for the PM.

I have sent you a reply.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

Dear Bank of Ireland,

I am astonished that my MAC is unable to log onto Business Internet Banking. I rang the customer services department and they couldn't help me and just stated that BOI do not have the capabilities at the moment and maybe they will have it in April next year!!

I find this extremely frustrating.

I will be looking at our other banking alternatives given the fact that BOI are unable to keep up with the latest technologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Paddy111199,

Thanks for the post.

Business Online is only compatible with Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer has not been updated on the MAC for a number of years. If you a running a virtual machine, you could download IE and access BOL however the BOL Helpdesk does not offer technical support for this.

If you would like a member of the BOL Helpdesk to contact you and discuss your needs, please send a pm with your name and a contact telephone number.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gazc99

I find it hilarious that BOI don't support Macs yet they use MacBooks in all the BOL advert's
    guylaptop.gif
    bol-demo-pic.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's not that they don't support macs, it's that they support INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY. Which is terrible for everyone, even on pcs.

And best of all, they charge you e15 a month for the privilege :p

(oh just you wait until the free-fees period wears off)

You guys could also install windows using bootcamp, or switch to a non-rubbish bank (I did for my business account, and not to feckin aib either - they are even worse!).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bumpitybump

From the horses mouth, after months of being told that something is in the works: Bank of Ireland have NO PLANS to do anything about this situation before 2015. (Which doesn't even mean that they will do anything about it then)

If you're about to start a business and you're mac based and need online banking... don't choose Bank of Ireland. Simple as that.

Advertisement