Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words you find difficult to pronounce??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Existentialist and existentialism. I just cannot pronounce them at all :o

Thankfully, I have never had to say either of them. :D
    Quay, I don't care, I pronounce it how it's spelled.

Do you mean 'cue-ay' or 'qway'? As a very young child I said 'key' and in school I even spelled it k-e-y. Teacher was not amused. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fafasmurf

Tarantula... I always end up saying 'Tralantula'
    A friend of mine can't say 'fifth'... it comes out as 'fith' but I think this is pretty common

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Mnemonics, cant say it at all.
    Also statistician

My daughter says I cant say series or California

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Trying to pronounce Bartolomeu at my confirmation wasn't fun :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fitzy211

ordinary, always have to think before I say it, usually end up saying ordrinrary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Being from donegal means I say mirror as mrrrrrr. Then there is "awl" as in the way some people pronounce old. Its just not something I can say. Not that I would want to say it because I didnt just come in from cutting turf a few decades ago but I dont even have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I realised yesterday that after living in the Netherlands for a few years I can no longer say "mayonaisse" like an Irish person. It's more like My-ownaisse with the emphasis on the "my".

I also, for the life of me, cannot pronounce "Wolf of Wall Street". Wuffa wull street. Wulfa wuull street. Woofa... that f*cking Leonardo Di Caprio film.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Chiropodist. Never can remember how you say that. Ker-opodist? Sher-opodist? Chee-ropodist? Foot doctor!

Citizen. I can only say it as cidizen.

Donkey I usually pronounce as dunkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Friend of mine says. Miro instead of mirror. Also she will say varnish instead of furnace. As in this place is like a varnish.

Can't think of my own at the moment although I am sure something will come to me tomorrow when I look at this again. From what I have seen in the tread so far none of them struck me as words I have mispronounce, but there were a few I simply did not recognize, which will increase the likelihood, I would say it wrong.

I just remembered now reading in school and struggling with the word czechoslovakia. I had never heard of it then circa 20 years ago.
    I simply could not repicate how I tried to pronounce it that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Tweedehandsemotorverkoopsmannevakbondstakingsvergaderingsameroeperstoespraakskrywerspersverklaringuitreikingsmediakonferensieaankondiging', 'lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas', 'vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur', and 'marmalade'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

Specifically always comes out as Pacifically, i said it once and now its just stuck

Buoy, can't decide is it boo-ey or boy-ey

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Kaycee2 wrote: »

Buoy, can't decide is it boo-ey or boy-ey

Which side of the Atlantic are you on?

Pacifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Spectacularly

Is is spec - tac - ul - ar - ly

or

Spec - tac - urly

This was doing my head in the other day. I was trying to pronounce it so much that is stopped sounding like a real word! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Penguins

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

I absolutely can't say minutiae!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Folk and yolk, those bloody half-silent Ls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That Icelandic volcano

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Saw a video there on meath street. Fella in it couldn't say vegetable correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Spasifically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

endacl wrote: »
    'Tweedehandsemotorverkoopsmannevakbondstakingsvergaderingsameroeperstoespraakskrywerspersverklaringuitreikingsmediakonferensieaankondiging', 'lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas', 'vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur', and 'marmalade'.

Heh, that's funny! I can't pronounce the word "ipickedarandomsentencefromanonenglishlanguageandcopieditwithoutspaces", myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Paprika

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

"aluminium" and "permanent" kids and the missus love it when I try to say those word's amongst others....... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭DunnoKiddo

'A blessing in disguise' always comes out 'a blessing in the skies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Phenomenal

I always have to take my time when I'm saying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭LucaDat

prerogative..... its' pronunciation makes no sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

Regularly, particularly, security, multiplication.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Penguin, I pronounce it pengweng :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭LucaDat

Ruler.... comes out woo-lwer every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

quinoa

Advertisement