Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tithe Applotment books

• 08-11-2012 3:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In case anyone missed it, the National Archives went live with a new genealogy website this morning:

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

Tithe Applotment books
    Soldiers wills 1914-1917 (those Irish soliders who died in WW1)
    Census (as before, just moved to this new section)

They mention that the 1858-1921 calendars of wills and administration will also be put here once it's finished (though no date for that yet) amongst a few other bits, some of which are already available elsewhere.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Just noticed that two parishes are not listed - Tawnagh and Kilmacallan Parishes in Co. Sligo, I think the townlands for these parishes are listed under Ballysumaghan Parish. Just tried to double check some more townlands but the site seems to be down now.

ETA Site back up. Ballinakill Parish, Co. Sligo not listed either. Townlands listed under Ballysumaghan Parish.

Killoran Parish, Co. Sligo is listed under Killoran Parish, Co. Galway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

We killed it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Yes, I think I broke it searching for parishes which weren't there! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ponster wrote: »
    We killed it !

Excellent. I bet my beginners' class it would crash at some stage today.

I had *nothing* to do with it though. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Some of the records are badly organized. Dunmore Parish in Galway is listed under Dunmore, Kilkenny. Burt Parish in Donegal is listed under Burry, Meath.

And then of course some poor transcriptions, which is never a surprise.

Still, happy to have them up.

genie wrote: »
    Yes, I think I broke it searching for parishes which weren't there! :D

You might have to get creative about finding them, but I'd bet they're there somewhere.

• Advertisement

>And then of course some poor transcriptions, which is never a surprise.

Very, very poor. It looks like it was done with software as opposed to being transcribed by humans.

It's a shame that they don't have a system to submit transcription errors.

And if the census results were linked to the families in the Tithe Applotment books it would be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Ponster wrote: »
    It's a shame that they don't have a system to submit transcription errors.

First thing I looked for. They have it for the census records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It is good to have these tithe applotments, have been able to find most of the menfolk in my family that I knew were around at the time.

The main issues I have seen relate to how the townlands were called. I have come across a few with wrong spelling (Fee insteand of Feigh or Feagh) and some name transcription errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It is good to have these tithe applotments, have been able to find most of the menfolk in my family that I knew were around at the time.

The main issues I have seen relate to how the townlands were called. I have come across a few with wrong spelling (Fee insteand of Feigh or Feagh) and some name transcription errors.

The thing to be aware of in place name spelling is that names and spelling did not become fixed until early in the last century and even then - well it was never a fixed science.

The other thing to remember is that parish / townlands organisation may also be different to modern day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

gozunda wrote: »
    The thing to be aware of in place name spelling is that names and spelling did not become fixed until early in the last century and even then - well it was never a fixed science.

The other thing to remember is that parish / townlands organisation may also be different to modern day.

Indeed, this is bringing out the dectective in me! Google maps is your friend in a lot of cases.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Indeed, this is bringing out the dectective in me! Google maps is your friend in a lot of cases.....

Try the ordnance Survey web site - gives you access to the circa 1840 6inch Map series plus alternative spelling of town lands contained therein - very good start for all research imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've been reading some of those soldiers wills. Don't know if any of the soldiers are mine yet. But it's hard not to be touched by the little scraps of paper leaving all their goods to mother, wife, sister, etc., and checking the dates of the wills, and dates of death, just a few months between them. Found it hard.

RGM wrote: »
    First thing I looked for. They have it for the census records.

At last, they've added it but just for name, first name.

Advertisement