Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet with Windows 8

• 08-11-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Are tablets running Windows 8 widely available yet and if so what kind of price range would you be looking at?

I'm thinking of getting a 10" tablet, would I be better off sticking to Android for now? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

They are available, but pretty pricey. Take a look on the likes of laptopsdirect.co.uk etc. and you will see that any of the new Win8 tablets are all north of £500.

And because of the way that Microsoft has restricted the sale of Windows 8 RT to a select few manufacturers you are not going to see any great price competition I think. Chinese manufacturers won't be able to produce Widows 8 RT tablets.

The cheapest option for a Win8 tablet is to buy a Win7 tablet such as the Acer Iconia W500 which is £250 and upgrade to Win8 Pro for €15 but the W500 is very chunky, heavy and has a very small battery so I don't think I would go for it myself.

It might be the case that we will see more Chinese manufacturers producing higher powered tablets like this one that you will be able to load your own OS on, but the review for the one in my link isn't promising..

I'd say a good Android tablet is your best bet OP.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Do-more wrote: »
    They are available, but pretty pricey. Take a look on the likes of laptopsdirect.co.uk etc. and you will see that any of the new Win8 tablets are all north of £500.

And because of the way that Microsoft has restricted the sale of Windows 8 RT to a select few manufacturers you are not going to see any great price competition I think. Chinese manufacturers won't be able to produce Widows 8 RT tablets.

The cheapest option for a Win8 tablet is to buy a Win7 tablet such as the Acer Iconia W500 which is £250 and upgrade to Win8 Pro for €15 but the W500 is very chunky, heavy and has a very small battery so I don't think I would go for it myself.

It might be the case that we will see more Chinese manufacturers producing higher powered tablets like this one that you will be able to load your own OS on, but the review for the one in my link isn't promising..

I'd say a good Android tablet is your best bet OP.

Thanks for the advice, I had pretty much come to that conclusion myself. Pity though, seeing as Win8 is marketed as being made for touch screens (sort of).

Advertisement