Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Structure

• 08-11-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Can anyone clarify something for me regarding the construction of the walls in modernhouses:
    How exactly is a cavity wall built?
    According to the info I've searched on the web, going from the inside to the outside a wall is structured as follows:
    Plasterboard
    4 inch block
    Insulation
    Cavity
    Outside block

This image also corresponds to that general description.
    1100130206005.png

If I'm not mistaken, in my house, starting on the inside:
    Plasterboard
    Large Cavity
    ....other stuff that I can't see.

My problem is that there is a gale blowing through this cavity that enters the house at the base of the wall below the skirting boards/under the wardrobes/on the underside of the window sills/plug sockets and generally anywhere that there is a gap.
    Is this normal building practice?
    Is there something wrong with my walls in the fact that there is free airflow immediately behind the plasterboard?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

very few houses are actually built as described. You need to figure the exact construction.
    Is the plasterboard stuck to the walls with dabs of plaster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

whizbang wrote: »
    very few houses are actually built as described. You need to figure the exact construction.
    Is the plasterboard stuck to the walls with dabs of plaster ?

If they are not built this way how are they built?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

A very common problem can be the 4 inch pipe used as a vent is short of the plasterboard allowing air in behind the board at coming out at the skirting. solution is to extend the pipe.

Advertisement