Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPOD 4 XMAS

• 08-11-2012 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

My daughter (9) has requested an ipod (touch) for xmas... i dont use apple stuff so i dont know alot about them, whats the latest version and where can i get it the cheapest ( :) ) if anybody knows?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The latest version of the iPod Touch (commonly but unofficially known as the 'iTouch') is the 5th generation and it's available with 32GB (€329) or 64GB (€429), prices are Irish list. Available in a variety of colours.

The 4th generation iPod Touch is still available from Apple in 16GB (€210) or 32GB (€269) versions. This models is available in black or white only.

It's not easy to get discounts on Apple kit, you could always check the secondhand market, places like adverts.ie would typically have lots of the previous generation models for sale.

There currently isn't a huge difference between UK and Irish prices, your best bet is to get someone coming home from Canada or the US to buy one, Canada is currently slightly cheaper than the US. There are no voltage issues, the iTouch can only be charged via the supplied USB cable or in a dock.

Unlike PCs, you cannot easily upgrade the memory in iPods so you need to decide at the time of purchase how much memory you need. As your daughter is only 9, the lower memory models should be ok for her, I'm assuming she hasn't yet accumulated enough of a music library to need the higher memory!

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

coylemj wrote: »
    The latest version of the iPod Touch (commonly but unofficially known as the 'iTouch') is the 5th generation and it's available with 32GB (€329) or 64GB (€429), prices are Irish list. Available in a variety of colours.

The 4th generation iPod Touch is still available from Apple in 16GB (€210) or 32GB (€269) versions. This models is available in black or white only.

It's not easy to get discounts on Apple kit, you could always check the secondhand market, places like adverts.ie would typically have lots of the previous generation models for sale.

There currently isn't a huge difference between UK and Irish prices, your best bet is to get someone coming home from Canada or the US to buy one, Canada is currently slightly cheaper than the US. There are no voltage issues, the iTouch can only be charged via the supplied USB cable or in a dock.

Unlike PCs, you cannot easily upgrade the memory in iPods so you need to decide at the time of purchase how much memory you need. As your daughter is only 9, the lower memory models should be ok for her, I'm assuming she hasn't yet accumulated enough of a music library to need the higher memory!

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

big thank you for the information there, well for a start €300+ for an ipod/touch 5... no way, i was thinkin along the lines of €200!

what is the difference between 4 and version 5? are 4's now abolute? (will she be uncool if she gets a 4 instead of a 5 basicly? :) ) is it worth an extra €100+ for the newer version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

For her the Ipod Touch 4 will be good as its also a little smaller screen wise so will be easier for her to hold in one hand.

4th is just missing some stuff like Sari and the panarma photo taking. Check the refurb store in apple and you may even get it cheaper

4th is just missing some stuff like Sari and the panarma photo taking. Check the refurb store in apple and you may even get it cheaper

last question

whats sari? & refurb is second hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If you buy online from currys before Monday you can get a new 4th gen even cheaper - http://www.currys.ie/Product/APPLE-iPod-touch-8-GB-4th-Generation-Black/298455/182.1 - check out the currys talk to forum for a code for a further tenner off too. It ends Monday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

davet82 wrote: »
    last question

whats sari? & refurb is second hand?

Poster spelled it incorrectly, it's called Siri and is explained here...

http://www.apple.com/ios/siri/

Yes, refurb is technically secondhand, the kit is either a device that was sent back and repaired under warranty or a returned demo unit. In either case, Apple certifies that it is as good as new and gives you the same warranty as a new unit so they will take it back and repair it for free during the warranty period.

I spotted a 8GB in argos for €180 but then, across the way in currys, i seen and bought a 16GB for €200 with free sony earphones which i thought was a pretty good deal...

thanks for all the replies :)

Advertisement