Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is warranty stance on a seized Hard Drive?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I have been asked to look at an All in One PC, with a touch screen.

It wouldn't boot. The person had bought it in a Bricks and Mortar store in August last year. In September this year, it wouldn't boot up for him. He brought it into said store, where he was told it was out of Warranty. They would look at it for €50.

It is their own brand PC. So should it be covered by manufacturers warranty?

I have it now, and will probably just replace the drive, if he wants.
    But he is well P****d off with them. As it was only a week later past the year he bought it. (Purchased on 29th August 2011, and he brought it into the Store on the 5th or 6th of September this year.)

Anyway, it is a Seized drive, Model WD3200BEVT which, from a small bit of reading, has problems that are known.

Anyway, My question is, The hard drive failed, on it's own. Should he be covered by Manufacturers warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Allyall wrote: »
    I have been asked to look at an All in One PC, with a touch screen.

It wouldn't boot. The person had bought it in a Bricks and Mortar store in August last year. In September this year, it wouldn't boot up for him. He brought it into said store, where he was told it was out of Warranty. They would look at it for €50.

It is their own brand PC. So should it be covered by manufacturers warranty?

I have it now, and will probably just replace the drive, if he wants.
    But he is well P****d off with them. As it was only a week later past the year he bought it. (Purchased on 29th August 2011, and he brought it into the Store on the 5th or 6th of September this year.)

Anyway, it is a Seized drive, Model WD3200BEVT which, from a small bit of reading, has problems that are known.

Anyway, My question is, The hard drive failed, on it's own. Should he be covered by Manufacturers warranty?

The place of purchase should deal with it.

If its a hardware fault then they shouldn't charge for this.

Since you've already opened it, it might be best to send it back to Western Digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Allyall wrote: »
    ... Should he be covered by Manufacturers warranty?
    I think that you are asking the wrong question. It should be covered by ordinary consumer rights, and the claim should be made against the seller of the PC. They can't simply draw a line at 12 months and say their responsibility ends there.

I suppose that you can judge whether the problem is due to the drive being faulty or due to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Retailer should be dealing with this issue OP

Just check if your hard drive is still covered by the manufacturers warranty

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?custtype=end&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The place of purchase should deal with it.
    If its a hardware fault then they shouldn't charge for this.
    Since you've already opened it, it might be best to send it back to Western Digital.

Opened it to check the Drive, untouched apart from that, Wouldn't even notice.
    I think that you are asking the wrong question. It should be covered by ordinary consumer rights, and the claim should be made against the seller of the PC. They can't simply draw a line at 12 months and say their responsibility ends there.
    I suppose that you can judge whether the problem is due to the drive being faulty or due to abuse.

The Seller and the Manufacturer are the same (i think), so i was thinking along the lnes, that he should be more secure than normal... :o
    Also, not abuse, I'd be pretty sure it is the drive.
    Jarren wrote: »
    Retailer should be dealing with this issue OP
    Just check if your hard drive is still covered by the manufacturers warranty

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?custtype=end&lang=en

Under Mobile Drives
    It says it is:
    WD Blue: BEVT
    2 Year Component Drive Warranty
    3-year Retail Kit Warranty.

So it should be covered.

Thanks, I have at least a bit more info i can give him now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Some OEMs will only give a year on a HDD - it's arguable that a year on a Har Drive is a bit stingey but might (just) be considered reasonable given the nature and cost of these things.

I would try (as you seem to be doing) to deal with WD directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

You are entitled to at least 2 years of warranty. Tell them that and mention Statutory Instrument No. 11/2003 if they deny it.
    If they still don't badge, Small Claims Court is your next move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Icepick wrote: »
    You are entitled to at least 2 years of warranty. Tell them that and mention Statutory Instrument No. 11/2003 if they deny it.
    If they still don't badge, Small Claims Court is your next move.

Where in that SI does it state there is a two year guarantee?

Advertisement