Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duty Free in America - iPad?

• 08-11-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Not 100% sure this is the right forum to ask this question, but seems the best bet from looking around.

Anyone been to the States recently? I'm going over with work in a month and want to buy an iPad in the duty free on the way back if possible. I'm just wondering if anyone saw them for sale in the airport coming back? Otherwise I'll buy one over there and pay tax (still works out considerably cheaper). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It might help to say what airport you are flying from. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

I'm not even 100% sure yet but I think I'll be doing a switch over in one of Chicago, Newark, JFK or Washington Dulles. Maybe I'll bump in a week or two when I have my tickets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

When you know the airport, look it up online. Most will show what stores are in the airport. Then you can contact the store directly, and get a price and availability of what you want.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Definitely not in Newark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

higster wrote: »
    Definitely not in Newark.
    Prices in Newwark are inflated compared to high street stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Aren't the prices generally set by Apple across the world? Your best bet would be to buy in a US state with no/low sales tax eg: New Jersey. But check the forex rates to make sure you not getting a duff deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

basill wrote: »
    Aren't the prices generally set by Apple across the world? Your best bet would be to buy in a US state with no/low sales tax eg: New Jersey. But check the forex rates to make sure you not getting a duff deal.

Even paying 8.875% sales tax in NYC, all models of iPad would be cheaper, cheaper again in Canada. That's allowing for a 1.5% FX uplift from the interbank rates on the credit card.

Looks like I'll be flying through Atlanta airport. I see an "iTravel" store listed which is an Apple reseller. However it's an enormous airport (busiest in the world) and don't know if I'll have the time to go between terminals to get it. Anyone been through here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Looks like I'll be flying through Atlanta airport. I see an "iTravel" store listed which is an Apple reseller. However it's an enormous airport (busiest in the world) and don't know if I'll have the time to go between terminals to get it. Anyone been through here?

I went through it 2 weeks ago. Not impressed by the iTravel store. They didn't have the new iPad, the iPad mini or the new iMac, any retina macs. Pretty easy to get to via the internal monorail (the plane train) but best call or email the store to get exact prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

coylemj wrote: »
    Even paying 8.875% sales tax in NYC, all models of iPad would be cheaper, cheaper again in Canada. That's allowing for a 1.5% FX uplift from the interbank rates on the credit card.

Depends where in Canada, Ontario and BC have 13% & 12% tax respectively. Alberta would be your best bet with 5%.

I went through it 2 weeks ago. Not impressed by the iTravel store. They didn't have the new iPad, the iPad mini or the new iMac, any retina macs. Pretty easy to get to via the internal monorail (the plane train) but best call or email the store to get exact prices.

The new one being the one with the retina display? Fortunately I'm getting it as a present for my technophobe father whose in his 60'a so that won't matter too much, as long as it's the iPad 2. Did you notice if the prices were duty free by any chance? I looked the store up online but didn't see any contact details. I'll get it there regardless, it's still a hell of alot cheaper than here.

Thanks

Advertisement