Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 on older Dell

Options
  • 08-11-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've just ordered a Lenovo PC with windows 7. My main pc is running XP and is near the end of it's life, hence the new purchase.

I also have an old Dell Inspiron 8500 with XP, used mainly for streaming to my tv setup. I looked into upgrading it to windows 8 but no can do, as it doesn't support NX.

My question is, if I get the windows 8 upgrade for the new PC, is there any way I could use it's existing copy of windows 7 and put it on the Dell laptop. I would still have windows XP on the obsolete PC to play with. To achieve the above, would I need to change everything around, or would clean installs do the trick?

I realise it's probably not possible but thought I'd get some opinions anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I don't think so, more than likely Windows 7 on the Lenovo PC will be an OEM version. OEM Windows is tied to the machine it's sold with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Not possible, using the upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 8, kills the Windows 7 license completely. It is also bound to the systems motherboard

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You wouldn't want to anyway, It would seize up.

You may want to try
    http://www.nliteos.com/

Google - Nlite tutorial, and you should get tons of videos/picture tutorials (Step by step) and help.

I just installed a stripped down version of XP on a Dell inspiron 8500. The difference was amazing. Had added RAM last week when i got the machine. Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. At least I know where I'm at with it now. I may well try the Nliteos route, when I have some time.

I also added RAM a while back to the 8500 and graphics wise, in my view, it outperforms our two year old Sony Vaio with i3 and W7.

I've recently encountered a problem on both the 8500 and on my main pc, also running XP. When streaming video I'm getting picture lag. Sometimes (watching sport) it's like slow motion followed by a short spurt and then back to slow motion. Sound is fine. Watching the same content on the Sony Vaio (on the same network), I don't have any of these lag problems.

Initially I thought it might be router related. Now I think it may be connected with Adobe Flash Player. All computers are running the latest version.

Allyll, have you noticed any issues on your 8500? Is your flash updated?

I might look at rolling back to a previous version of FP. Any suggestions as to what version might be prudent?

Thanks again for your advice and expertise.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Beagslife wrote: »
    Allyll, have you noticed any issues on your 8500? Is your flash updated?

I might look at rolling back to a previous version of FP. Any suggestions as to what version might be prudent?
    Thanks again for your advice and expertise.
    Michael

I haven't really done a whole lot on it, as i have been busy.
    Rolling back to an old version of Flash Player should help with that lag.
    Though you will probably constantly get nagged to upgrade it..

Flash Player Uninstaller HERE - Run first (With Browsers closed) and Reboot Windows.
    When Windows Reboots, Run these.
    Active X installer version 10.0 HERE
    10.0 Plugin installer HERE

If you have a Licence Key for XP on the bottom of your machine, you can google tinyxp rev09 and that version is already stripped down. Just install it, either by CD or USB.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Allyall.

I will definitely have a go at either the Nlite or tinyxp option. With either option I should see nice improvements and with a roll back of FP, I'll hopefully get back to good quality and trouble free streaming.

I may also look at adding an external sound card to my set up.

As regards the tinyxp set up, would I be free to continue with normal updates, or does the configuration have to stay as is, for good?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Beagslife wrote: »
    Thanks again Allyall.

I will definitely have a go at either the Nlite or tinyxp option. With either option I should see nice improvements and with a roll back of FP, I'll hopefully get back to good quality and trouble free streaming.

I may also look at adding an external sound card to my set up.

As regards the tinyxp set up, would I be free to continue with normal updates, or does the configuration have to stay as is, for good?

Thanks

Use Nlite and make your own slim XP install, do not download TinyXP or any pirated version as the chances of them getting deactivated or having malicious content in them is much greater! A nlited install will work with updates fine

Nick

Thanks for the good advice Nick. Will do.

Advertisement