Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Hey, just wondering....I heard/read an age ago that RCSI only invite folks for interview that have RCSI as 1st choice on their CAO form.

I'm asking any of you that have an interview, was RCSI 1st choice?

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Just saw I got the letter of doom when I got home. So my result obviously wasnt enough :(. I have UCD as first choice but the chances of that are slim. Oh well. Big decisions to make now.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

spacecat wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering....I heard/read an age ago that RCSI only invite folks for interview that have RCSI as 1st choice on their CAO form.

I'm asking any of you that have an interview, was RCSI 1st choice?

Yes, I heard that before too, but I got a friend I know to pretend to be a candidate and ask them about it where they totally denied it.

I did, however, have RCSI as my top choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

HI Julie, wasn't your hpat score higher than everyone else here? 181?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nutsnbolts

I had it as my 2nd choice behind UCD and i got an interview alright.. how do people know that only 30 are being interviewed??

the selection for interviews seems very random.. a lot of people with really good scores not being offered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Don't give up hope yet guys. All the other colleges still have to offer interviews.

• Advertisement

Obviously personal statements are very important to RSCI...

Does having a degree already make any difference..?

nutsnbolts wrote: »
    I had it as my 2nd choice behind UCD and i got an interview alright.. how do people know that only 30 are being interviewed??

the selection for interviews seems very random.. a lot of people with really good scores not being offered one.

The email says thirty candidates are bing interviewed, when it says about how it can't reschedule anyone.

I think RCSI place a lot of emphasis on personal statement and CV

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Yeah I got 181. But I only applied to ucd and RCSI as I wasn't eligible for Tcd with only one science subject Chemistry in the LC.

I suppose I might just do some science like biology during the year to try for next year and work on my volunteer work etc. I really worked hard on my personal statement but I suppose everything can be perfected :)

Thanks and best of luck to all you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Unlucky Julie. Do you mind me asking what age you are? Just trying to decide if I will apply again next year or not, will be my 4th year in a row!!
    Yeah I got 181. But I only applied to ucd and RCSI as I wasn't eligible for Tcd with only one science subject Chemistry in the LC.

I suppose I might just do some science like biology during the year to try for next year and work on my volunteer work etc. I really worked hard on my personal statement but I suppose everything can be perfected :)

Thanks and best of luck to all you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

nutsnbolts wrote: »

It said in the email that 30 were being interviewed

They seen to really take every part of your application into consideration. Hpat seems to be a small part, I got 93rd last year and didnt get an interview then
    borrch wrote: »

I seems to make a difference. I was talking to a guy who got in last year and they all have degrees. I dont fwiw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

Got an interview too, have rcsi down third. I assume everyone else was moved to the 16th too?

SolitaireX wrote: »
    Got an interview too, have rcsi down third. I assume everyone else was moved to the 16th too?

Your interview was moved to the 16th?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

I know how you feel - you get all excited being asked to submit docs and having a good hpat score and then don't get to interview. I was there last year. I applied again and got lucky this time - i am 33 so was not planning on applying again next year. You are still young- it is only a few months before you can apply again giving you time to bug them for feedback. And you are bound to be succesfull if this is what you want, just dont give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

I'm on 16th too- lucky me got the 8am spot..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Aaahhh great feedback here. I'm 28 and a girl obviously :) so I do stress that time is of the essence for me and all that. But yeah I will defo try again next year. Try and perfect everything. This was my first time applying and I have a degree already but have been working in the finance industry for years and had a tough year last year that made me realise ive had enough and I wanted to really achieve my goals.

How about you ultimate hero? What age are you now? I was told before that half the battle is fought deciding that this is what you want to do and the courage it takes to go for it. Alot of people drift through life not knowing what they want. So this is what we want so now all there is left to do is to try and get there...and hopefully we'll get there in the end. Keep your chin up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ruthiecahill

I was really worried that I was at a disadvantage not having a degree, as I heard people saying in previous posts that they only took people with degrees. But got called for interview this yr.....maybe I can break the mould! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

Anyone have any clue what kind of questions they might ask in the two different interviews?

what is a systems based approach to teaching, why med, how have you prep'd financially (have you a robust financial plan etc), why rcsi, if i can think of any more that they mentioned at the open evening ill let you know!!
    SolitaireX wrote: »
    Anyone have any clue what kind of questions they might ask in the two different interviews?

Hey julie, fair play to you, it will be a big change from the financial sector to the medical sector id say! im 26 and its my third year applying. i got interviews on my first year but I got zero interviews last year.. If i dont get it this year i dont know whether to keep going, but like they say, it will always be there if i dont :( its really draining though applying and the hpat and all that!!!

Yeah i suppose your right, but i really wanted graduate entry when i finished college but when that didnt work out when i got a 2.2 degree i have been trying to get in the mature route since finishing college. Yeah ill try keeping the chin up, same goes for you, all the best with the applications, you never know we could end up study buddies some day!!
    Aaahhh great feedback here. I'm 28 and a girl obviously :) so I do stress that time is of the essence for me and all that. But yeah I will defo try again next year. Try and perfect everything. This was my first time applying and I have a degree already but have been working in the finance industry for years and had a tough year last year that made me realise ive had enough and I wanted to really achieve my goals.

How about you ultimate hero? What age are you now? I was told before that half the battle is fought deciding that this is what you want to do and the courage it takes to go for it. Alot of people drift through life not knowing what they want. So this is what we want so now all there is left to do is to try and get there...and hopefully we'll get there in the end. Keep your chin up :)

Just wondering what are people planning to wear to the interview?

I know that sounds like the most mundane question ever but I'm afraid of whether to turn up in formal work wear or not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Just wondering what are people planning to wear to the interview?

I know that sounds like the most mundane question ever but I'm afraid of whether to turn up in formal work wear or not!!

It is an interview - you want to dress to impress (corny I know).
    For a guy I would definitely recommend a suit. Plus a jacket is handy to hide any sweat patches (gross but practical - let's face it, it's an interview - you will be nervous). Light or dark coloured shirts are best - the inbetween colours show the most if you do have to take off your jacket.

For females it is a bit more flexible
    I wore a trouser suit when I interviewed, a friend of mine wore a dress and matching jacket, another a skirt suit with a nice top.

Apparently Kildare outlet has a sale on this week. And for your clinical finals you have to wear a suit too, so hopefully you will get a lot of wear out of it.

Abby19 wrote: »
    It is an interview - you want to dress to impress (corny I know).
    For a guy I would definitely recommend a suit. Plus a jacket is handy to hide any sweat patches (gross but practical - let's face it, it's an interview - you will be nervous). Light or dark coloured shirts are best - the inbetween colours show the most if you do have to take off your jacket.

For females it is a bit more flexible
    I wore a trouser suit when I interviewed, a friend of mine wore a dress and matching jacket, another a skirt suit with a nice top.

Apparently Kildare outlet has a sale on this week. And for your clinical finals you have to wear a suit too, so hopefully you will get a lot of wear out of it.
    Thanks Abby!! Really appreciate that :)

Did anyone get a letter from NUIG today?

I didn't receive anything so am desperately hoping they haven't been sent out today :0

I didn't receive anything so am desperately hoping they haven't been sent out today :0

Nope, not a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

spacecat wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering....I heard/read an age ago that RCSI only invite folks for interview that have RCSI as 1st choice on their CAO.

Hey spacecat, it is my understanding the college has no visibility of were you have them in your list of preferences. The CAO put forward your submission to each college once you have met the CAO criteria.

Interviews are then determined based on how the college views our overall submission.

Congrats to all who have an interview, it's certainly been a long time in te works getting to this point. To all of those who have yet to receive an interview, the criteria for the other colleges may very well be different and therefore keep your spirits up.

I've an interview on the Wednesday so no doubt I'll see one or two of you.

Just got an interview with trinity for next Thursday. They emailed me about it :)

Just got an interview with trinity for next Thursday. They emailed me about it :)

Well done, you wont need to the sit the leaving cert at all now :)

I got an email about an interview, no letter yet though

Haven't heard from Trinity yet :(

• Advertisement

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    I got an email about an interview, no letter yet though

NUIG sent out an emai? When did they send it? When are interviews on?

Advertisement