Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

I love the way the thread has gone all quiet now with the interviews coming up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I love the way the thread has gone all quiet now with the interviews coming up!!

Haha very true!

I have another question though. Has everyone that has applied to Trinity heard something back from them whether it be an interview offer or not? I haven't anything yet. I'm thinking I should ring tomorrow and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

I'd definitely give them a buzz if I were you!! I'd say the not knowing is driving you insane!

I'd definitely give them a buzz if I were you!! I'd say the not knowing is driving you insane!

Yeah, It really is especially since I know they've been in touch with some people.

Did you say your interview with Trinity is next Thursday?

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    Yeah, It really is especially since I know they've been in touch with some people.

Did you say your interview with Trinity is next Thursday?

Yep, RCSI weds, TCD Thurs and UCC Friday!

• Advertisement

Yep, RCSI weds, TCD Thurs and UCC Friday!

I think I'll definitely ring tomorrow just in case since the interview is so close

Good thinking :) Best of luck!!

Thanks! Probably wishful thinking at this point but you never know :)

NO!! Positivity til we hear otherwise! Let us now how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Has anybody heard from UCD yet? Any idea how many mature places they have?

• Advertisement

Traderdc wrote: »
    Has anybody heard from UCD yet? Any idea how many mature places they have?

I don't think anyone has heard from UCD yet. They don't have a set number of places for mature entry. I was told they wait to see the the standard of applicants and then decide. They didn't take anyone last year and only one person the year before :(

Just got talking to someone in Trinity admissions there. She said that offers for interview have been sent out to some students but once they have interviewed them they may go back to the panel and call more students to interview. I suppose that's good news, just means more waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Thats definitely good news fiddles I havent heard anything either..

Well, good news assuming they're not sending rejections out in batches as well as interviews..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

UCD won't offer anything till June if last year is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

A little aside here hope no one minds but can anyone nail down what it is they look for in terms of voluntary work etc. or does it vary from college to college?

Does it have to be specifically in a healthcare setting or is it about how that voluntary work motivates you to become a doctor regardless of what it is?

Thats definitely good news fiddles I havent heard anything either..

Well, good news assuming they're not sending rejections out in batches as well as interviews..lol

Lets take no news as good news, for now anyway :)

At least now I can stop constantly checking my portal account

• Registered Users Posts: 13 qazokm

Hi guys!! For anyone who has had previous interviews..how did you find them...were the questions what you would expect or did anything throw you off etc?? Would appreciate any info! :)

Does anyone know what the clinical interview is about? Trying to figure out what the difference between the two will be.

qazokm wrote: »
    Hi guys!! For anyone who has had previous interviews..how did you find them...were the questions what you would expect or did anything throw you off etc?? Would appreciate any info! :)

This is my first time having an interview too but from what I've heard the questions are what you would expect. Why medicine? Tell me about your work experience? I don't think they're trying to catch you out on anything

SolitaireX wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the clinical interview is about? Trying to figure out what the difference between the two will be.

I think the second interview is with 2 doctors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 qazokm

Hi guys heard it will be the usual questions nothing to put you off etc! first is with academics and they'll ask your background why med etc! second is with doctors seeing if you actually know what you're getting into so guessing work exp etc!! good luck to you all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

Good luck to everyone who has interviews tomorrow, Thursday and Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

And those that did not get one this year/so far- dont give up on your dream

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

i am wondering if someone could give me a little "bump" on this. I am 35, male, got 465 LC points in 1995 with physics being the only science sub. I have an ordinary degree in physics from 1998 (although i did chem in first year and maths as a minor subject for the degree).

currently working in financial services. the idea to enter medicine has always been in the back of my mind although i always dissmissed the thought as fanciful, i realise now if i am ever going to do it i should start now

do i need to redo my leaving or degree or is there a way to do this HPAT for next year and hope for the best? not looking for a detailed answer just a quick pointer on where to look into this..not worried about the time and my age although maybe the colleges are?

DRice wrote: »
    i am wondering if someone could give me a little "bump" on this. I am 35, male, got 465 LC points in 1995 with physics being the only science sub. I have an ordinary degree in physics from 1998 (although i did chem in first year and maths as a minor subject for the degree).

currently working in financial services. the idea to enter medicine has always been in the back of my mind although i always dissmissed the thought as fanciful, i realise now if i am ever going to do it i should start now

do i need to redo my leaving or degree or is there a way to do this HPAT for next year and hope for the best? not looking for a detailed answer just a quick pointer on where to look into this..not worried about the time and my age although maybe the colleges are?

You can apply as a mature student but there aren't many places and there is a lot of competition. If you want to apply the regular way you'll need to resit the leaving cert, You'll need to meet matriculation if you're doing this so Irish, English, Maths, second language and a science (Even if you have already passed them before you need to get the points and meet matriculation in the same sitting). Either way you'll need to sit the HPAT, If you're going to do it try to get your hands on all the practice material you can (GAMSAT samples, UMAT samples, prep courses, everything you can get your hands on). It's a difficult task but if you're motivated you can do it. I'd start preparing a personal statement now if you're going to give it a go, the sooner you start the easier it will be, good luck!

Good Luck with interviews Everyone!!! See you all on the ice :)

SolitaireX wrote: »
    You can apply as a mature student but there aren't many places and there is a lot of competition. If you want to apply the regular way you'll need to resit the leaving cert, You'll need to meet matriculation if you're doing this so Irish, English, Maths, second language and a science (Even if you have already passed them before you need to get the points and meet matriculation in the same sitting). Either way you'll need to sit the HPAT, If you're going to do it try to get your hands on all the practice material you can (GAMSAT samples, UMAT samples, prep courses, everything you can get your hands on). It's a difficult task but if you're motivated you can do it. I'd start preparing a personal statement now if you're going to give it a go, the sooner you start the easier it will be, good luck!

ah thanks solitaire X, i suppose it being my dream, as everyone elses on this thread, resitting the leaving is the way to start. Will give it a go. Good luck to you too, and good luck to everyone in the interviews.

ah thanks solitaire X, i suppose it being my dream, as everyone elses on this thread, resitting the leaving is the way to start. Will give it a go. Good luck to you too, and good luck to everyone in the interviews.

I'm repeating this year DRice , 5 years after leaving school, if you have any questions about the process :)

thanks eternal geek, how did you manage with subjects like irish and french or subjects you havent been working with since school? they would be very intimidating for me
    whereas, science and business subjects i suspect i would be a lot better with through college and work n that since :eek:

what college did you go to?

• Advertisement

thanks eternal geek, how did you manage with subjects like irish and french or subjects you havent been working with since school? they would be very intimidating for me
    whereas, science and business subjects i suspect i would be a lot better with through college and work n that since :eek:

what college did you go to?
    . I decided to do ten subjects so that I could fulfil the requirements like Irish and German without the pressure for points, doing them both at ordinary level which made things a lot easier. The first couple of months is tough as its a culture shock but genuinely by Christmas you're flying! I'm repeating in Pearse College and all of the staff have been so so supportive!

Advertisement