Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

NinjaK wrote: »
    when do mature students apply for courses?

You have to apply by the CAO deadline, February 1st. Medicine is a restricted entry course and cannot be added to your CAO choices after this date (though afaik if you have one medicine course down you could add others later).

You will need to apply for the HPAT also to complete the CAO application and the deadline for the HPAT application is January 20th.

If you are applying to Trinity you also have to fill in their online application bu Frbruary 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Does anyone know when abouts UCD hold interviews for mature medicine candidates?

Definitly early/mid June but there might before some that are earlier or later than this

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Anyone else feel like ripping their hair out trying to fill in the applications forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like ripping their hair out trying to fill in the applications forms?

I feel your pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RAnnaC

I have only done my CAO and hpat application so far. Is it just the trinity application that needs to be in by feb 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hi, I was hoping some one on this thread could answer a quick question for me... I'm applying to NUIG for medicine as mature entry & through the CAO also as i'm repeating the leaving cert this year.
    When i filled out the CAO form i picked the NUIG med course & ticked mature entry on my application. Is this enough? If i'm unsuccessful with the leaving cert would i be automatically considered for mature entry..?

Any help would be really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Hey borrch as far as I'm aware you'll have a chance with both, if you're unsuccessful with mature entry but you manage to get the points and matriculation requirements in the leaving cert then you're in! :)

That's what I've gathered from reading other threads so someone correct me on that if I'm wrong!

I don't think I'll be applying this year, the fees along with the cost of living would be just impossible for me even though I've been saving! Might give it another year, can always apply then!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Thanks Ping for your reply. The fees are crazy alright, I live in Galway so wouldn't have the living expenses problem. I think there'll be a lot less people applying for mature/graduate entry this year due to fees, but I could be wrong...
    esp as the banks aren't giving loans out anymore :(

Hrum, just having a look at Trinity's application form for Mature Medicine. Am I right in saying that there is an application fee of 35euros?? Really????? Thats just wrong surely.

spacecat wrote: »
    Hrum, just having a look at Trinity's application form for Mature Medicine. Am I right in saying that there is an application fee of 35euros?? Really????? Thats just wrong surely.

I didn't notice that myself. I'm sure it will tell you at the end of the application though and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if there is. Seems like all I'm doing lately is handing out money to apply :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Hi all,

Yes, you do have to pay for the application. Mature applicants are treated very much like post grads in that every application to a different University is charged. Which is a pain, but thats the way it is unfortunately.

I have a question, hopefully one of you can answer it! I'm going the the U.S tomorrow for two weeks. I haven't applied to the CAO yet because I heard from someone that the documentation needs to be sent within a week of applying. But I need the CAO to apply for the HPAT before the 20th deadline. I've emailed CAO asking but they haven't got back to me yet so I'm in a mad panic trying to email lecturers and employers for references and trying to finish off personal statements and so on. So does anyone know if they're ok about late documentation or is it a strict rule?

On a side note, these personal statements are a pain in the ar$e and I'm pretty sure I sound like a complete lunatic in them. Awesome...

They are pretty strict with the deadline for Mature students as far as know. However, you can register with the CAO but not fill in the application form. You have two weeks from submitting the application form to send in your relevant paper work. For instance, I registered with the CAO and HPAT last November but I haven't applied for any course yet. Still banging my head against the wall with this PS,blah,lol

So, you can register with CAO and then with HPAT today....once you have the funds pfff, and head off on your holidays tomz stress free(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

On a side note, these personal statements are a pain in the ar$e and I'm pretty sure I sound like a complete lunatic in them. Awesome...

It is s a bit of an art form. Larriane gave some fantastic advice on doing them here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Not sure if its on this thread already but a few moths ago Hollinger posted some excellent advice on applying for medicine as a mature student to RCSI.
    Applying for Medicine as a Mature Student- Hollinger

Here's a few things I've noticed over my two years of applying for medicine as a mature. I can't "prove" most of this, it's just my opinion based on what I have observed. No one can tell you how to make the perfect application, most of it is shaped by things you've already done and life experience thus far. Certain things are worth knowing and do help to get that extra edge. Go the extra mile if there are weak points in your application, and always ask for feedback from each college if you don't get in, pester them until they give it.

- What they are looking for varies slightly from college to college. TCD/UCD seem to go for matures with a long history of volunteering and charity experience building up to their application. Last minute/token efforts seem to fall on deaf ears. They seem to take charity/volunteer work more seriously, and focus slightly less on academics.

- RCSI seem more likely to take people crossing over from random degrees, and they short list initially based your HPAT score.. the higher the better, but 160~ ish seems to be enough to at least get to sending in the personal statement stage. They made a big deal of my hpat score this year, I went up, from 174 to 192 and they seemed really impressed with this. They want candidates that are first and foremost, really strong academically. I've talked to people that have TONS more volunteer experience than me who didn't even get offered an interview with them, but did in other colleges.

- Can't comment on Galway/Cork since I didn't apply there, but I'm guessing they are at least slightly easier to get into than the Dublin colleges just based on numbers applying.

- RCSI DEFINITELY favour some sort of science background. That doesn't necessarily mean you need a science degree, just that you've actually proven your aptitude in science subjects before coming in.. even at leaving cert level. I think that went against me last year, since I did engineering and never did chem or bio for leaving cert. This year I took on those subjects as an external student and have a place in RCSI conditional on getting a B in Chemistry.

- I haven't heard of any matures in RCSI that did premed, from what I gather they keep the matures together and they all skip premed (have never heard otherwise). So if you aren't eligible to skip premed chances are you won't get a place.

- They want people that have seen the work of doctors directly, and know what they are getting themselves into. Charity/volunteer work that lacks exposure to doctors at work doesn't seem to mean all that much to application in RCSI. Push hard and keep your ear to the ground for volunteer work that actually exposes you to observing real medical work. Go abroad if you have to. There are plenty of third world countries with less red tape where it's easier to actually do something useful and get meaningful experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Can mature applicants chop and change over the coming months? Ive a course im interested in doing but im just wondering if I decided to pick something else would it be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Hi all,

I have a question, hopefully one of you can answer it! I'm going the the U.S tomorrow for two weeks. I haven't applied to the CAO yet because I heard from someone that the documentation needs to be sent within a week of applying. But I need the CAO to apply for the HPAT before the 20th deadline. I've emailed CAO asking but they haven't got back to me yet so I'm in a mad panic trying to email lecturers and employers for references and trying to finish off personal statements and so on. So does anyone know if they're ok about late documentation or is it a strict rule?
    spacecat wrote: »
    They are pretty strict with the deadline for Mature students as far as know. However, you can register with the CAO but not fill in the application form. You have two weeks from submitting the application form to send in your relevant paper work. For instance, I registered with the CAO and HPAT last November but I haven't applied for any course yet. Still banging my head against the wall with this PS,blah,lol

So, you can register with CAO and then with HPAT today....once you have the funds pfff, and head off on your holidays tomz stress free(ish)

You only have 7 days from online submission to get your paper copies in to the CAO. Check out Page 11 http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php
    'If you apply online, instructions about the submission of any additional documentation will appear on screen. Such documents must arrive in CAO within seven days of the submission of the online application'

As per post above, you can create CAO account to start HPAT application, iirc, you need a HPAT number to complete CAO application and you need a CAO and HPAT number for the TCD application. A bit circular I know.
    You can go in and out of the CAO application to tweak to your heart's content, but once you submit it you need to get the supporting documentation within 7 days.

Hi all,

Yes, you do have to pay for the application. Mature applicants are treated very much like post grads in that every application to a different University is charged. Which is a pain, but thats the way it is unfortunately.

Did you ever get an answer back from CAO about having to send your application in a week after you apply?

I asked them the same question and they told me it was fine as long as everything was sent to them by the 1st of Feb.
    Just wondering did they say the same to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Hi guys - I am a mature applicant and will be sitting hpat. I work full time at the moment and am only beginning to prepare for the HPAT now which seems very late having looked at the posts on here! Just a couple of quick questions that I would really appreciate some answers on. I am going to do a prep course, seems like alot of people have done ME or CS. There is a CS one on in Cork on 11 Feb which I think I will do as it is much more convenient for me than heading to Dublin. Which is better? The ME one is a lot more expensive obviously. I have the 2 acer practice tests but is there anywhere else I can get good practice tests with worked solutions? I have read alot of you are doing "drills", what are these exactly and where can I access them. Apols for all the questions but i'd really appreciate some help and feel free to direct me to where these questions have been answered already. Thanks alot.

Traderdc wrote: »
    Hi guys - I am a mature applicant and will be sitting hpat. I work full time at the moment and am only beginning to prepare for the HPAT now which seems very late having looked at the posts on here! Just a couple of quick questions that I would really appreciate some answers on. I am going to do a prep course, seems like alot of people have done ME or CS. There is a CS one on in Cork on 11 Feb which I think I will do as it is much more convenient for me than heading to Dublin. Which is better? The ME one is a lot more expensive obviously. I have the 2 acer practice tests but is there anywhere else I can get good practice tests with worked solutions? I have read alot of you are doing "drills", what are these exactly and where can I access them. Apols for all the questions but i'd really appreciate some help and feel free to direct me to where these questions have been answered already. Thanks alot.

I bought the ME package and I think its pretty good. It gives you a lot of online material to work on (drills) and gives you all the solutions to the questions. I thought the day course was pretty good too. The guy went through the different types of questions that can come up and they give you a mock exam on the second day. Its pretty expensive but I think its worth it

I haven't done the CS course myself but just from reading a few things on boards it sounds good too. People say the day course is actually better than the ME course day but you don't get as much material to work with. I think its cheaper though. Hope thats some help.

I'm obvoiusly applying this year too. How you finding the whole application writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alt.End

How you finding the whole application writing?

Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm applying this year too, and now that I have to send my documents, I get the impression my application gets worse everyday and I hate my personal statement....is anybody else experiencing something like this?^^ and how long are your statements?
    I am applying for the second time this year and it didn't get any easier at all =(

• Advertisement

Alt.End wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm applying this year too, and now that I have to send my documents, I get the impression my application gets worse everyday and I hate my personal statement....is anybody else experiencing something like this?^^ and how long are your statements?
    I am applying for the second time this year and it didn't get any easier at all =(

Well at least you're finished your statements, I'm still working on mine. For my Trinity application I found it difficult to keep to the word limit, my UCD is way too long (~ 2.5 pages) so I have to cut that down. I haven't filled in the rest of the info on CAO yet.
    I feel pretty much the same tbh. Its a horrible process filling them out and not having an idea of what they look for really.

Do you mind me asking what your background is and how far along the application process you get last year?

Well at least you're finished your statements, I'm still working on mine. For my Trinity application I found it difficult to keep to the word limit, my UCD is way too long (~ 2.5 pages) so I have to cut that down. I haven't filled in the rest of the info on CAO yet.
    I feel pretty much the same tbh. Its a horrible process filling them out and not having an idea of what they look for really.

Do you mind me asking what your background is and how far along the application process you get last year?

I'd also be interested to know how you got on with your application last year and why you think you didn't get offered a place. I'm applying with my leaving cert points too and hoping to get in that way rather than mature entry as in RSCI, fees are lower.
    The application forms are doing my head in! I can't get to grips with the UCD one, do we need to write the statement within the template or is that just an idea for what they want us to write about?
    I'm worried I haven't got enough volunteer work (one session every week) and I have no work experience as I've found it impossible to get any. I haven't got two references that I really want to use or anything so i'm really panicking at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

I bought the ME package and I think its pretty good. It gives you a lot of online material to work on (drills) and gives you all the solutions to the questions. I thought the day course was pretty good too. The guy went through the different types of questions that can come up and they give you a mock exam on the second day. Its pretty expensive but I think its worth it

I haven't done the CS course myself but just from reading a few things on boards it sounds good too. People say the day course is actually better than the ME course day but you don't get as much material to work with. I think its cheaper though. Hope thats some help.

I'm obvoiusly applying this year too. How you finding the whole application writing?

Thanks very much for the reply. Sounds like it might be a plan to so the CS day course and buy the online ME package to get the materials. Just starting the personal statements and all that jazz, bit of an arduous process I agree. I think it's very difficult not to come across very cheesy, "i just to want to help people" sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alt.End

I didn't get very far, the only university that asked for my CV and a personal statement was RCSI and I think they asked everybody to send it
    but my hpat was crap...so I wasn't to surprised no one invited me
    I hope this year will be better :D

*edit and I am from germany so I don't really know if anything I write or say sounds good or makes sense ^^

Anyone else having trouble filling out the TCD and UCD forms? I had a personal statement written in full before I started to fill these out but I don't like the way they've got them split into different sections. It seems so detached and I don't think I'm going to come across well with it written like this

RAnnaC wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble filling out the TCD and UCD forms? I had a personal statement written in full before I started to fill these out but I don't like the way they've got them split into different sections. It seems so detached and I don't think I'm going to come across well with it written like this

The same happened to me and I had to rewrite my statements after looking at the applications more. Its so annoying when you realise you have to do it all over again after spending so long writing them in the first place. They do ask similar question though so just try and reword what you have already written

The same happened to me and I had to rewrite my statements after looking at the applications more. Its so annoying when you realise you have to do it all over again after spending so long writing them in the first place. They do ask similar question though so just try and reword what you have already written

And for UCD are you sticking within the boxes they gave you or are you keeping writing until you feel you've written enough? wasn't sure if that box was an indication of how much they wanted from you.

And for UCD are you sticking within the boxes they gave you or are you keeping writing until you feel you've written enough? wasn't sure if that box was an indication of how much they wanted from you.

I asked the mature admission office and they said there isn't a word limit but the boxes should be used as a guideline to how much to write. They said the people that read the applications don't have time to write really long statements so I'm trying to keep to how much fits in the boxes.

Do you mind me asking how much detail your going into about your work experience? I really just mention my role, not everything that I do because the limited space

I asked the mature admission office and they said there isn't a word limit but the boxes should be used as a guideline to how much to write. They said the people that read the applications don't have time to write really long statements so I'm trying to keep to how much fits in the boxes.

Do you mind me asking how much detail your going into about your work experience? I really just mention my role, not everything that I do because the limited space

Is this for the TCD application? None of my work experience has huge relevance to medicine unfortunately :/ I have a little bit of volunteer work, but yeah I haven't gone into a lot of detail in that section. Any of the work I've done that I feel is really relevant to my application I've written about in the personal statement section.

• Advertisement

Is this for the TCD application? None of my work experience has huge relevance to medicine unfortunately :/ I have a little bit of volunteer work, but yeah I haven't gone into a lot of detail in that section. Any of the work I've done that I feel is really relevant to my application I've written about in the personal statement section.

No, I was talking about the UCD application. TCD has a word limit so at least they gave us some guidance on how much to write.

Advertisement