Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RAnnaC

The deadline for supporting documents is really with UCD, the CAO have very little to do with it other than forwarding them on. UCD even said to me if I think I'll be late getting things to them (I had an issue getting one of my reference letters sent), to just send it to them directly! The last (and longest) mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Hi all.

I have just submitted my online application to Trinity. The thing is....I remember seeing a few weeks back that it cost 35euros to apply to TCD but it didn't ask me for any funds just now! Did anyone else have to pay or not as the case may be?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

spacecat wrote: »
    Hi all.

I have just submitted my online application to Trinity. The thing is....I remember seeing a few weeks back that it cost 35euros to apply to TCD but it didn't ask me for any funds just now! Did anyone else have to pay or not as the case may be?:rolleyes:

I just submitted my application as well. I was under the impression we had to pay as well. It didn't come up on mine either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I submitted mine yesterday - no fee either, but got an email this morning to say 'thanks for saving your application, please follow the link to submit it.'

There is no submit option on the link though, its just an overview of my application.

What's this about documents being rent to ucd? i thought everything went to cao?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

What time is the deadline? still putting the finishing touches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

5.15pm this evening. But try to get it in before as there will be loads of people applying then.

EDIT: CAO deadline, not sure about TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

I wasn't asked to pay a fee either but we were told it would required. Pfft atleast something about this process was free... I got the same message as fairytalegirl when I was in work. Nearly had a heart attack because I had already submitted.

Does anyone think it'll matter if I send off the documents Monday? I'm still waiting for reference letters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I could of swore I saw a fee on the website somewhere when I was starting my application last week. It wen through so it must be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I wasn't asked to pay a fee either but we were told it would required. Pfft atleast something about this process was free... I got the same message as fairytalegirl when I was in work. Nearly had a heart attack because I had already submitted.

Does anyone think it'll matter if I send off the documents Monday? I'm still waiting for reference letters...
    mine will wait till Monday too, i need to photocopy certificates. ill adjusted my cao form yesterday, changed the order again lol so hope im good for 7days from yesterday!

Hi guys - just have a quick question regarding the last section of the UCD application form. The heading is "Your contribution to humanity at personal, community and family level". Maybe its a bad sign but I am having a mental block coming up with something meaningful to put in here that doesn't sound ridiculous. Can anybody give me an idea or example of something they have included?? Not asking for any specifics just in general. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Traderdc wrote: »
    Hi guys - just have a quick question regarding the last section of the UCD application form. The heading is "Your contribution to humanity at personal, community and family level". Maybe its a bad sign but I am having a mental block coming up with something meaningful to put in here that doesn't sound ridiculous. Can anybody give me an idea or example of something they have included?? Not asking for any specifics just in general. Much appreciated.

For this section I talked about some of the volunteering I did.

I am just about to register to sit Chemistry for the leaving cert. as an external student. Have any of you guys done this? Just looking to know of any good tutors anywhere in the country or online? Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

I am just about to register to sit Chemistry for the leaving cert. as an external student. Have any of you guys done this? Just looking to know of any good tutors anywhere in the country or online? Thanks guys.

I did this in 2011 , had a really great tutor , I can pm you his details if you want, hes in Dublin btw

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ruthiecahill

I also studied LC Chemistry externally & had a great tutor. Got me a B3 in higher level, with only 5 mths to prepare.
    You can PM me for details if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Best of luck to anyone doing the HPAT today. I'm so nervous but can't wait to be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

First time posting here so hi everyone!
    I've applied as mature and undergrad everywhere in Ireland, my cao mature application was rushed/incomplete and rubbish so I'm realistically not expecting an interview from anywhere. As an undergrad applicant I'm seriously worried that my hpat wasn't good enough and considering options abroad etc. Has anyone applied to Italy/Malta or have an opinion as to the quality of the courses? I do have an undergrad degree but not a 2.1 so not eligible for grad courses anywhere.
    Thanks

Medme wrote: »
    First time posting here so hi everyone!
    I've applied as mature and undergrad everywhere in Ireland, my cao mature application was rushed/incomplete and rubbish so I'm realistically not expecting an interview from anywhere. As an undergrad applicant I'm seriously worried that my hpat wasn't good enough and considering options abroad etc. Has anyone applied to Italy/Malta or have an opinion as to the quality of the courses? I do have an undergrad degree but not a 2.1 so not eligible for grad courses anywhere.
    Thanks

I'm in the exact same boat, have a 2.2 so i'm not eligible for pretty much any UK courses and haven't properly considered going abroad really due to the price. Do you mind me asking what your leaving cert result was? I have 535 so am hoping for a really good hpat but don't know how realistic that all is... hopefully our 'maturity' will set us aside from the undergrads in that regard!

And you still have the opportunity to do a good application to RCSI as they don't call to see people's applications for another few weeks.

This is my first year applying this route, I applied to graduate medicine last year but missed my 2.1 so was no longer eligible. I don't know if I can do this all over again next year though...

Wow it's almost reassuring to find someone in similar situation!

I have 560 LC points, plus higher Maths bonus, but all up that's only 557 on the med scale. My hpat I'm just not confident about, section 3 was a 'mare for me. I was super bursting for a pee so ran out, but it was ages away, I was really short for time when I got back. I didn't even read the last 10 Qs and just randomly guessed-urgh. If I end up repeating it next yr I'm going to dehydrate myself for 12hrs before, to be on the safe side ;)

I think with a 2.2 you can apply to a few UK places, can't remember exactly where but I investigated last year and there were a few places open to 2.2 applicants with a good GAMSAT score. I graduated on 50% so not even a 2.2 to plead my case with.

Do RCSI not see the CAO mature forms etc before calling for interview? If not ill get cracking on attempting some kind of a sensible application/CV/statement etcetc....undergrad route is still by far the easiest, damn that hpat!

Had you done any of the hpat courses before? I had bought a distance learning package and found it helped a lot, having said that I still have no idea whether I did well. Because of my leaving cert I'd need to get a super high hpat to get a place so it isn't 100% realistic.
    Yeah for the gamsat route there are two colleges in the UK that take a 2.2 but I didn't try that this year, between reapplying for the gamsat, applying through the UCAS and trying to go over there for interviews and the like I'd have spend probably over 500€ and may still not get a place so I decided to stick to Ireland for the time being.
    I was at an open evening in RCSI a few months ago and they shortlist people on the basis of their hpat scores (which doesn't necessarily have to be amazing) and ask to see a personal statement and CV etc, if they like the sound of you on that they'll call you for an interview. There's hope yet! But RCSI mature student fees are about 16,000...

Oh that's great news re RSCI mature, thanks for that. Yep RCSI mature is most expensive but ill take anywhere at all at this stage.

Ironically Italy seems like the cheapest option! Fees are minimal, means tested and AFAIK in the region of €3k max...

Hpat I bought the online prep course too, was really helpful but I'm not a bit convinced ill get better than a very average score.

Have you a preference for where you study? The Italy option requires IMAT which is in April, I'm seriously considering an application...

• Advertisement

I was told that last year RCSI asked to see personal statements etc if you got over 160 in your hpat which is very doable. I would advise you to ring RCSI though and ask about the personal statements because I thought they had to be send in back in February with the rest of the college applications to the CAO. I could be wrong about that though.

Aa far as courses in the UK, there are 4 colleges that accept a 2.2 degree but you need a very high gamsat. I think the cut off last year was 64/65 and even with that there is no guarantee you get a place. I haven't looked into courses in Italy or Malta but I had a quick look earlier in the year about a course in Prague. It looked pretty decent and is fully recognised. There is an entrance exam as well that is along the same lines as A-Level Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths but I'm not sure when you can sit it.

All the colleges have different systems so it's hard to know. Here is the info on RCSI's website
    http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745
    It seems like they ask you for your CV on the basis of your hpat score, which is what I understood from the open evening back in November.

My preference is RCSI but I'll really go anywhere that will have me. Fiddles44 are you applying both routes too? I think if I don't get it this year I might leave the country never to return...

I'm not considering Italy and Malta for the time being, I'd be worried that the language would be a big problem when it came to clinical work, you can learn a lot in four years but that is a lot to learn! I would love to study abroad, having done an erasmus during my undergrad but career-wise, I want to be as best qualified as I can.

RAnnaC wrote: »
    All the colleges have different systems so it's hard to know. Here is the info on RCSI's website
    http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745
    It seems like they ask you for your CV on the basis of your hpat score, which is what I understood from the open evening back in November.

My preference is RCSI but I'll really go anywhere that will have me. Fiddles44 are you applying both routes too? I think if I don't get it this year I might leave the country never to return...

I'm not considering Italy and Malta for the time being, I'd be worried that the language would be a big problem when it came to clinical work, you can learn a lot in four years but that is a lot to learn! I would love to study abroad, having done an erasmus during my undergrad but career-wise, I want to be as best qualified as I can.

I know the course in Prague offers language classes but like yourself I would rather not have to worry about languages problems.

I'm applying through the mature entry and undergrad too.

Thanks for the link. Yep I have spoken to RCSI and got a slightly wooly answer, I think the issue is the mature application process (everywhere!) is just such a tough one, and who or how selection happens seems to vary a bit depending on who you ask, what college, and even what year. Here's hoping it will all be worth it when we are baby docs next year!

The language thing is obviously a massive issue. My preference by a mile would be to study in Ireland, or the Uk, at any uni. However I've been out of my first degree a while now, turned 30 and so it's time for me to realistically look at all options. If its a case of giving up a lifelong dream ill maybe rewrite the plan and suck up the language thing if need be. Less than ideal but its a Plan C. (Plan B was used up long ago!)

I have a few questions I would love if someone would help clear up please. I have applied to UCD and RCSI as a mature student in that order. However now I am getting worried that if I was to receive a chance for an interview with RCSI they will only pick me if I have them as my 1st order. Do they insist they are the 1st order. What is UCD's take on this also?

If I was in some huge massive stroke of luck offered at place a both places do I have a choice or does it all boil down to what order I have on CAO? I think it would be incredibly unfair if one was to be overlooked due to the order of CAO.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

You get a single offer in each list in each round.

Offers for Matures are normally sent out in early July and offers for Graduate Medicine are sent out in early August.

So the order of your courses is most important in regard to what offer you will get.

CAOMAN wrote: »

Offers for Matures are normally sent out in early July and offers for Graduate Medicine are sent out in early August.

So the order of your courses is most important in regard to what offer you will get.

Thanks Caoman. Does this mean if I got an interview with one college I won't be called for interview by the other? I really this is not the case

Just checking - I have been away with work since early March and wont return until mid April. Anybody know when interviews are expected to be held or when notifications will be sent out as I won't be able to check the post in the meantime?? that's if I was lucky enough to be offered an interview obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Just checking - I have been away with work since early March and wont return until mid April. Anybody know when interviews are expected to be held or when notifications will be sent out as I won't be able to check the post in the meantime?? that's if I was lucky enough to be offered an interview obviously :)
    julie2tubz wrote: »
    Thanks Caoman. Does this mean if I got an interview with one college I won't be called for interview by the other? I really this is not the case
    CAOMAN wrote: »

julie2tubz wrote: »
    I have a few questions I would love if someone would help clear up please. I have applied to UCD and RCSI as a mature student in that order. However now I am getting worried that if I was to receive a chance for an interview with RCSI they will only pick me if I have them as my 1st order. Do they insist they are the 1st order. What is UCD's take on this also?

If I was in some huge massive stroke of luck offered at place a both places do I have a choice or does it all boil down to what order I have on CAO? I think it would be incredibly unfair if one was to be overlooked due to the order of CAO.
    RAnnaC wrote: »
    I was at an open evening in RCSI a few months ago and they shortlist people on the basis of their hpat scores (which doesn't necessarily have to be amazing) and ask to see a personal statement and CV etc, if they like the sound of you on that they'll call you for an interview. There's hope yet! But RCSI mature student fees are about 16,000...

Hopefully this may answer a few of the questions raised above. The year I applied I was called for interview by Trinity and UCD, and invited to submit an application for RCSI. The Trinity interview was the Thursday before the May bank holiday weekend (though I think they are a bit later know - why not contact Admissions or the Mature Students Officer (Clodagh Byrne in Trinity) and ask for possible timeframe?

I received a letter from Trinity the following Thursday offering me a place and I had to contact them to confirm if I wanted the spot. As I understand it if I hadn't accepted it would have been offered along to the next on the waiting list.

The invitation to the UCD interview was a couple of weeks after that. And the RCSI letter was later again. Next communication was in early July when the Round 0 offers came out.

You can only receive a single offer from the CAO for the degree courses - you get the highest ranked course that you are entitled to. I don't know whether the order you have them ranked influences the colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Hi Abby19 I hope you don't mind me asking but how are you getting on with living expenses and paying for the course etc.?

Do you think it's possible to have a part time job and study medicine?

It's just that you're where I hope to be in the next year or so i.e. studying medicine and as I already have a degree the financial side of things is an issue.

Advertisement