Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 qazokm

hey everyone!!
    Does anyone know or have you heard anything from trinity yet? I got the common email saying they're processing applications and they're gonna start interviewing people from mid april on so I was wondering if anyone has heard from them? Got an email from rcsi to send in stuff
    just been trying to get everything together! So does that mean we got over 160 on the hpat?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

I got the RCSI email too and apparently it means we got over the hpat cut off point, whatever that may be :)

I have not heard anything from Trinity yet, or any of the other schools for that matter. Just make sure youre checking the TCD portal, because apparently that is where they will contact you!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I just checked the tcd portal there and noticed the option to add supporting documents. Did anyone upload anything to this? I thought they didn't want references or anything like that

oh wow! thats good news...I was sure I messed up the hpat with my section three but guess it must have been ok! I have been checking the mytcd portal but nothing good or bad yet! Fiddles44 as far as I am aware I think they ask for references and 'supporting docs' if you are being called for interview...maybe you will be lucky getting an email soon!!

Wasnt section three horrible?! I'm sure you'll see some of us posting on this anyway as soon as other universities start to get in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ruthiecahill

Wasnt section three horrible?! I'm sure you'll see some of us posting on this anyway as soon as other universities start to get in touch.

I'm with you there! Worked so hard on that section to prepare and it was total pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Lads, not to be all cynical and what not but has the upload thing not been there the whole time? I only ask because it's on mine and didn't get the rcsi shortlist so I'm 99% positive I bombed the hpat. I'm thinking 120 would be generous ;-)

Lads, not to be all cynical and what not but has the upload thing not been there the whole time? I only ask because it's on mine and didn't get the rcsi shortlist so I'm 99% positive I bombed the hpat. I'm thinking 120 would be generous ;-)

Are you talking about adding supporting docs on TCD.ie? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right....I'm sure that option's been there since I registered

It has been there but I never looked through the list of things you could upload. References is an option but before we were told that Trinity didn't want references. Did you upload documents? I'm hoping qazokm is right and they only want supporting docs if they call you for interview

I didn't upload anything as I figured they'd be getting everything that was sent to CAO :confused:. A bit worried now

• Advertisement

I didn't upload anything either! I emailed trinity and they said we just have to fill in the relevant sections, pretty sure it stipulates on it that you dont have to upload anything for medicine anyway. :)

Anyone any idea how much notice rcsi give for calling people to interview? Like by the time they get all the supporting documents in, it will be three weeks til interviews, either they review them fairly quickly or they won't give much notice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

RAnnaC wrote: »
    I also got an email from rcsi so am going to have to start working on my personal statement right away. I am in a small bit of a predicament though; rcsi is currently top on my cao, followed by TCD and UCD. I really want to get into rcsi, but the mature student fees scare me a bit. If possible, I'm going to get in on leaving cert points if I did a good enough hpat, but does anyone know when we will know our hpat results? If i didn't do well enough I think I'll take rcsi off no. 1 in case I get offered a mature place and have to pay those huge fees, even though it is the place i really want to go to.

Do you mind me asking have you a Level 8 degree already? If so it doesn't matter if you get in as a mature, or with your leaving cert, you will be liable for fees. Free fees only apply for your first degree, or if you are progressing, i.e. Level 7 before and going for a Level 8 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RAnnaC

Abby19 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking have you a Level 8 degree already? If so it doesn't matter if you get in as a mature, or with your leaving cert, you will be liable for fees. Free fees only apply for your first degree, or if you are progressing, i.e. Level 7 before and going for a Level 8 now.

I do have a degree already, however RCSI have difference fees depending on whether you use the mature entry pathway or school-leavers. If you get in on leaving cert points it's about 10,000 per year, and by mature entry it's over 15,000. As far as I know RCSI are the only college that do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alt.End

And if I don't have a degree is there a way that I don't have to pay fees or do mature students always pay? If so, I will have to put rcsi last^^
    Btw is it still possible to change the list? !

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Alt.End wrote: »
    And if I don't have a degree is there a way that I don't have to pay fees or do mature students always pay? If so, I will have to put rcsi last^^

If you don't have a degree then you should be entitled to free fees under the free fees initiative. You need to satisfy certain eligibility rules. Check out http://www.studentfinance.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Alt.End wrote: »

Yes, you can change your order of preference on your CAO application. Page 18 of the handbook gives details.
    You can use change of mind for free after the 5th of May and it operates up to July 1st.

Rang RCSI just to be sure about references & she said copies are fine. Also, she mentioned we needed to send in a copy of our passport! I never saw that mentioned before, so thought I'd give people the heads up!

Left all my stuff in today eeeeek!!! They were very nice and they checked I had given everything needed before I left :)

I still have to finish my personal statement, I'm jealous! At least the ball is rolling with this whole application process

• Advertisement

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    I still have to finish my personal statement, I'm jealous! At least the ball is rolling with this whole application process
    Ah you'll fly through it, I had no choice but to do it as I have my orals and write ups now!! I wonder how long before we hear if we're getting interviews?

Ah you'll fly through it, I had no choice but to do it as I have my orals and write ups now!! I wonder how long before we hear if we're getting interviews?

Good luck with the orals and write ups. I'd say they'll give us a week to 2 weeks notice so maybe we'll hear around the beginning of May

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    Good luck with the orals and write ups. I'd say they'll give us a week to 2 weeks notice so maybe we'll hear around the beginning of May

opps i'm sorry maybe the link was there the whole time..I just checked my tcd and I dont know how iv never seen that before but it's there now...but I am pretty sure tcd don't want you to send in references unless you are asked to because I rang up admissions in Jan and she said if they are going to call you in for interview etc then they will ask you to send in references etc!
    Just wanted to ask you guys how many references are you sending in? and how long is your personal statement approx? Iv got mine done I think but there are stuff I could add in but haven't incase it's going to become too long..Think Ill take the weekend and go hand it in on Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Here is an email I received in March from Trinity:

Dear Applicant

Thank you for submitting your Mature Student Supplementary Application Form. Included below for you are some details in relation to the next steps in processing your application.

We are now in the process of sending all applications out to the relevant departments for review. Applicants may be required to attend an interview. Interviews are usually held between end-March and mid-May. Please note, if you are called for interview, you will be notified via an Intray message in your my.tcd.ie portal. We will also send this notification to you via email. You will not receive a notification via the post. It is therefore essential that you regularly review the content of your my.tcd.ie portal to ensure you do not miss any communications you are sent. Due to the volume of applications we are processing it will not be possible to reschedule any interviews.

We aim to ensure that Mature applicants are informed of the outcome of their application before the end of May to allow successful applicants the maximum time possible to prepare for the start of the academic year. Official offers to successful applicants are made through the CAO in early July. To secure your place you must return a formal acceptance notice to the CAO.

Information and orientation sessions will take place for all successful mature applicants in July. An orientation programme for all successful mature applicants will take place in September. Notification of these events will be sent to you closer to the time.

This email is purely for informational purposes and you are not required to respond to it.

Kind regards

qazokm wrote: »
    opps i'm sorry maybe the link was there the whole time..I just checked my tcd and I dont know how iv never seen that before but it's there now...but I am pretty sure tcd don't want you to send in references unless you are asked to because I rang up admissions in Jan and she said if they are going to call you in for interview etc then they will ask you to send in references etc!
    Just wanted to ask you guys how many references are you sending in? and how long is your personal statement approx? Iv got mine done I think but there are stuff I could add in but haven't incase it's going to become too long..Think Ill take the weekend and go hand it in on Monday!!

I sent four references because I couldn't decide. Also couldnt decide who were the best people to use as referees if you know what i mean.My personal statement was two and a half pages but I ran it by like five people and they all said I shouldn't leave anything out.

Thanks EternalGeek! Yeah its hard to pick your best referees...iv got three referees and my PS is two pages atm and might carry over..will hopefully get everything done over the weekend and ill go in and give everything in on the monday!!

Good luck :)

Hey all, was at the NUIG Open Day today and they told me they will be inviting the top 30 HPAT scores to interview within the next couple of weeks. The interview will be in July (17th is a provisional date) and it will be five stations, each one assessing different things. The two people who score highest throughout these interviews will then be offered a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hey all, was at the NUIG Open Day today and they told me they will be inviting the top 30 HPAT scores to interview within the next couple of weeks. The interview will be in July (17th is a provisional date) and it will be five stations, each one assessing different things. The two people who score highest throughout these interviews will then be offered a place.

It seems really late in the year to be holding interviews, doesn't give people much of a chance to get funding etc sorted. I wonder are they trying to eliminate interviewing people who have been successful in securing a place with another college. Am i right in thinking that our HPAT results are out next Monday 29th..? I'm both nervous and excited..!

140 people have applied for NUIG tho :(

Advertisement