Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

No bother, PM me your email, this week is a bit insane as I've my geog and history write ups this week but if I don't get to it wednesday I will most definitely do it saturday. Also have some good websites, I'll link you to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Super, that's so kind of you :) I'll pm you tomorrow, whenever you have time, thanks again

No worries, have to share the wealth, we are all in the same boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Hey all, was at the NUIG Open Day today and they told me they will be inviting the top 30 HPAT scores to interview within the next couple of weeks. The interview will be in July (17th is a provisional date) and it will be five stations, each one assessing different things. The two people who score highest throughout these interviews will then be offered a place.

July :eek:! That's ages away. All the other colleges will have made their offers by then. Thanks for letting us know anyway.

I also haven't heard when the hpat results are out. Tbh when I heard the mature student were getting them in April that was news to me at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Tegan

Hey Guys

Im hoping to apply next year as a mature student to medicine in ireland, but i have no idea where to start all i know is i have to do the hpat after that im lost at sea.. reading all the posts here i noticed alot of people on about shadowing and personal statements.. im very confused is there a office i could contact to get help and answer my questions

thanks guys and sorry for asking questions

Thanks T xx

• Advertisement

Tegan wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Im hoping to apply next year as a mature student to medicine in ireland, but i have no idea where to start all i know is i have to do the hpat after that im lost at sea.. reading all the posts here i noticed alot of people on about shadowing and personal statements.. im very confused is there a office i could contact to get help and answer my questions

thanks guys and sorry for asking questions

Thanks T xx

The best place to look would be on each of the colleges websites. All the information you need to know about applying will be on there.

You apply through CAO as a mature student but you also have to send in your application forms for each college. Some colleges like Trinity and UCD have their own application form you have to fill out and they can all be found on their websites too.

The personal statements are part of the application. You basically have to tell them about yourself and how you've come to the decision that medicine is what you want to study, whether you've volunteered in a hospital or shadowed a doctor. Must of the colleges ask for references too.

Have a look at the mature student section of the colleges website and that will definitely guide with what you need to apply

Also if you ring any of the colleges the admissions officers are very nice and will answer any questions you have

Just to let you all know, HPAT results definitely out on Monday 29th, ACER emailed me back this morning :)

Thanks for posting! Eeeeeek!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

Results are out. Anyone know what last years lower-upper range of successful candidates was for mature student entry?

• Advertisement

Results are out. Anyone know what last years lower-upper range of successful candidates was for mature student entry?

Not sure, I think you have to get over 160 roughly but that probably changes slightly from year to year. How did it go for you?

I got 167 so am disappointed as was hoping to get in with LC points

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Has anyone noticed that the percentiles have got down with scores this year it appears. I got 181 and this has me as 76th but from the graph from 2012 I would have been above 80th I think. So the standard seems to be to going up each year. This is my first time doing it.

Does anyone know when UCD will announce interviews?

Borrch, same score believe it or not!

I assume you are trying thought the mature student route also. Well best of luck.

Were you initially contacted via email by RCSI? And was that decision based on your already having your H-PAT score?

Once you got that RCSI email it all seems we're on a level playing field from now. They had the results. It's down to the interview etc so well done. The HPAT got you in the door as far as mature goes.

Sorry to hear if you're disappointed Borrch as you're using it for LC. But you still have your chance with mature. Best of luck.

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Once you got that RCSI email it all seems we're on a level playing field from now. They had the results. It's down to the interview etc so well done. The HPAT got you in the door as far as mature goes.

Thanks for the info, congrats on your score by the way, hope all goes well for you.

Now it's just a waiting game for the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Hi everyone

I did my Hpat last year and I would really appreciate if you guys could post scores and percentiles to see whether the scores are up or down from last year.

Thanks

I'm only applying to NUIG so that really limits my chances, as i recently got married so moving isn't an option, at least with the lc you have some control over how you do. There is 140 candidates applying to NUIG for only 2 places, dont fancy my chances against that many :(

Well done julie2tubz, brilliant score! Homergriffin where is your first choice?

Hi everyone

I did my Hpat last year and I would really appreciate if you guys could post scores and percentiles to see whether the scores are up or down from last year.

Thanks

The scores are definitely gone up, just goes to show that you can study for the hpat. Personally i think some sort of an interviwe system would be better, but then again im only saying that because of my poor hpat result

borrch wrote: »
    The scores are definitely gone, just goes to show that you can study for the hpat. Personally i think some sort of an interviwe system would be better, but then again im only saying that because of my poor hpat result

Totally agree though. Looking at the graphs for each year our scores would have been far higher percentile any other years. What score would you need in LC to get in with 167? Sorry I don't understand the LC route as I don't qualify.

I cant get in on this score but roughly this is how it is for NUIG

175 + 625 lc points
    180 + 600 lc points
    185 + 575 lc points
    190 + 550 lc points

• Advertisement

Oh my god that's alot of work. For top marks in the LC you were annoyingly close. If you get amazing leaving this year you can redo HPAT
    Next year? If you have the time, you'll be flying it. Then you can get NUIG and live happily ever after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nutsnbolts

was hoping to apply with my LC (550) also, pretty gutted with a 164 considering i put a lot of work into it! even with a perfect LC that score wouldn't have cut it!
    have applied to RCSI as a mature entry alright, but my experience isn't much to rave about so it'll either be abroad or next year for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

162...gutted :(

spacecat wrote: »

I hear ya, this is all so depressing, and i bet its only the difference between maybe 5 -10 questions being right to get a really good score

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Oh my god that's alot of work. For top marks in the LC you were annoyingly close. If you get amazing leaving this year you can redo HPAT
    Next year? If you have the time, you'll be flying it. Then you can get NUIG and live happily ever after. :)

Dont know if i can face another year of it. I'm already 29yrs old..

Dont know if i can face another year of it. I'm already 29yrs old..

Never give up on your dream!

I know a lady that qualified as a Doctor at the age of 52. I might be that age myself by the time I get there, lol :P

Ok think positive, we will all be called for an interview.

Maybe we should be thinking about how to improve our interviews? Any tips anyone? What kind of experience do people have?

Ok think positive, we will all be called for an interview.

Maybe we should be thinking about how to improve our interviews? Any tips anyone? What kind of experience do people have?

That's it borrch, upwards and onwards :D

I think most folks have Degree's...I don't, just lots of life experience :rolleyes:
    I think the need is to figure out the HPAT and how to nail it. The HPAT is a mystery to me. Can't see the relevance to Medicine. The GAMSAT I get, its based on knowledge to a degree.

I don't have a degree, thankfully, cos there's no way i'd take out a €100k loan to pay college fees. I can't understand how people can afford it. Do you think it puts us at a severe disadvantage?

I agree, i don't understand the merits of the hpat. How's does it make you a better doctor? I think most people get lucky on the day or not, of course there are some people that are just brilliant at it anyways. I do think that the mini multiple interviews are probably a better method in selecting people with the right personality etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

spacecat wrote: »

What percentile was that ??

Advertisement