Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ruthiecahill

spacecat wrote: »
    162...gutted :(

I got 163, down from 175 2yrs ago and I did a prep course this time round. Pretty gutted too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

I got 163, down from 175 2yrs ago and I did a prep course this time round. Pretty gutted too! :(

Julie is under the impression that, provided RCSI have requested documents from you for their screening process, your H-pat exam results were deemed good enough. Did RCSI contact you regarding submissions?

Assuming that is true, does anybody know when interviews are announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Julie is under the impression that, provided RCSI have requested documents from you for their screening process, your H-pat exam results were deemed good enough. Did RCSI contact you regarding submissions?

The lady in admissions told me they should be in contact about interviews by the end of this week. Big and stressfull week for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ruthiecahill

Hopefully, thats the case alright. What's the story with the other colleges tho? UCD is my first choice & I haven't a clue how they assess HPAT results :confused:

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    The lady in admissions told me they should be in contact about interviews by the end of this week. Big and stressfull week for everyone!

Thanks for the info, nervously anticipating news on it now. Why are those with low 160 marks so disheartened? Is that an indication that they will not get an interview?

• Advertisement

Hopefully, thats the case alright. What's the story with the other colleges tho? UCD is my first choice & I haven't a clue how they assess HPAT results :confused:

To be honest I'm not sure myself, everything is conjecture and speculation from me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

UCD seems to be shrouded in some mystery. I wish it was alot clearer too. I would love to know how I stand. The waiting is killing me. Receiving the HPAT results haven't really answered anything really.

Fiddles, do you mind me asking how you got on?

Tbh I haven't looked yet. I've been out all day with only my phone for internet but it won't download my result sheet. I kind of wish I didn't go on boards before I looked because its making me more nervous about looking now ha

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Haha I can well imagine.You're extremely patient anyway. BEST OF LUCK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alt.End

I got 164...with a percentile of 49
    And last year I got 157....with a percentile of 49 ;)
    I got the rcsi mail both years but they didn't invite me...and i guess they won't invite me this year either

I wonder if they know what kind of stress they are putting us through^^

• Advertisement

Alt.End wrote: »
    I got 164...with a percentile of 49
    And last year I got 157....with a percentile of 49 ;)
    I got the rcsi mail both years but they didn't invite me...and i guess they won't invite me this year either

I wonder if they know what kind of stress they are putting us through^^

If the information in this thread is correct, your 164 may very well be enough. Remember, they should have already received you're H-PAT results. Therefore your experience should count from he on out. Have you gained more experience this year? Chin up, keep optimistic until the last possible moment. If you're unsuccessful, remain focused.

I'm 25 now and if it's not to be this year, I'm doing everything in my power to get in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

If the information in this thread is correct, your 164 may very well be enough. Remember, they should have already received you're H-PAT results. Therefore your experience should count from he on out. Have you gained more experience this year? Chin up, keep optimistic until the last possible moment. If you're unsuccessful, remain focused.

I'm 25 now and if it's not to be this year, I'm doing everything in my power to get in next year.

You're right Homergriffin, the most important thing is learning from the no so that you can reapply stronger the following year!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alt.End

Not that much more experience but i hope my personal statement is better, I've put more time in it this year...
    You're right, lets stay optimistic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

In case this is of any use to anyone here are the HPAT results over the past few years. This year's graph can't be released till the LCers get theirs.
    http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

I rang NUIG this morning. They are in the process of shortlisting the candidates, and should be sending out a letter to successful candidates in the next week or so.

The interview date is 18th June, the same day the LC chemistry exam is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

Does anyone have any idea how many mature applicants there were for medicine this year?

borrch wrote: »
    I rang NUIG this morning. They are in the process of shortlisting the candidates, and should be sending out a letter to successful candidates in the next week or so.

The interview date is 18th June, the same day the LC chemistry exam is on.

Did you mention that you have an exam that day? It really wouldn't be fair if you got an interview and couldn't make it because you have an exam

SolitaireX wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how many mature applicants there were for medicine this year?

140 applied to NUIG, i don't know how many applied to the other uni's :confused:

I went to a talk in Trinity a couple of months back and I asked how many people usually apply and I was told on average its between 150-200

That is way better than what I had initially expected.

• Advertisement

Did you mention that you have an exam that day? It really wouldn't be fair if you got an interview and couldn't make it because you have an exam

The guy wasn't very approachable so i said nothing :(

I am still waiting for the mature student officer to email me back, so when they do, I'll mention it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

borrch wrote: »
    The guy wasn't very approachable so i said nothing :(

If you get called they should change the date for you, happened to me last year with UCD and there was absolutely no issue :)

dtfo wrote: »
    If you get called they should change the date for you, happened to me last year with UCD and there was absolutely no issue :)

dtfo do you mind me asking if you got offered a place? What kind of questions did they ask you in the interview?

dtfo wrote: »

All the interviews are mini multiple interviews... will/can they be as flexible with this type of interview system??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

I had an interview with ucd last year, it was just a standard three on one interview, don't imagine there would have been any issue if the date didn't suit and you needed to change it. If I remember correctly they bumped it back a week themselves a day or two before I was supposed to meet them (didn't get it btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

dtfo do you mind me asking if you got offered a place? What kind of questions did they ask you in the interview?

No didnt get a place

As far as I remember they asked what you would expect they would - Why do you want to study Medicine, How will you fund it, they usually give you an opportunity to talk about the relevance of your past to the course. At the end one interviewer asked what types of books I read so they might just delve into your pastimes

As an aside for anyone doing the leaving cert this year try to have the interview as far away from the exams as possible. Last year I finished on the Wednesday and had an interview Friday morning and I was shattered. I think it had at least some effect on their decision

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

There were 164 candidates considered in UCC last year, and going by the open days, info evenings ive been to this year thats likely to be higher for this year, maybe at around 175/180. I don't know why its so appealling/competitive to all those people, given the length its going to take to practice as a doctor!! I suppose you have no idea when UCD get back to us? or what they even look for in applications

There were 164 candidates considered in UCC last year, and going by the open days, info evenings ive been to this year thats likely to be higher for this year, maybe at around 175/180. I don't know why its so appealling/competitive to all those people, given the length its going to take to practice as a doctor!! I suppose you have no idea when UCD get back to us? or what they even look for in applications
    UCD told me they'd contact people in coming weeks and at an open day I was at as well as said they rarely if ever take matures for medicine :(

• Advertisement

UCD told me they'd contact people in coming weeks and at an open day I was at as well as said they rarely if ever take matures for medicine :(

Who do they take then? GEM?

Advertisement