Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsafe location query

Options
  • 08-11-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi all,
    building a garage (solid block)onto the house at the moment,and have the opportunity to make a recess/alcove in either the floor or the wall to slot the gunsafe into and bolt into concrete ,but i have been told that the gardai will not like this location for the safe,and that they would want it within the house itself.As it stands i will only be applying for one o/u shotgun and don't need a safe but want to get one for piece of mind.
    What are your thoughts on the matter ?would this location be a problem ?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Check with your local Gardai first.

I would guess that they'd say no but you never know, they might say yes especially if it's well secured.

No harm in asking them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..........but i have been told that the gardai will not like this location for the safe, ...........
    By whom?

Unless it was your FO take everything you are told with a pinch of salt.
    ....................... don't need a safe ............
    Again this is a minimum standard. Your Super, through your FO, may demand a gun safe.

Contact your FO. Explain to him/her what you intend to do. I know of two lads that have the same setup, inspected, and passed as sufficient.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

Ezridax wrote: »
    By whom?

Unless it was your FO take everything you are told with a pinch of salt.

Again this is a minimum standard. Your Super, through your FO, may demand a gun safe.

Contact your FO. Explain to him/her what you intend to do. I know of two lads that have the same setup, inspected, and passed as sufficient.

i was told by a local shop owner ,and as regards FO ,my area does not seem to have an officer assigned ,so the gardai have told me :confused: ,they said that any garda on duty will handle firearms applications and queries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

There is a crime prevention officer in every district though who would be in charge of that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

i was told by a local shop owner ,and as regards FO ,my area does not seem to have an officer assigned ,so the gardai have told me :confused: ,they said that any garda on duty will handle firearms applications and queries

nah - there's an FO over your area alright - most likely at your nearest "big town" station.

• Advertisement

i was told by a local shop owner
    No disrespect intended, but if i believed everything i've been told by people over the years i wouldn't have half the things i do. They are probably well intentioned, but some of them do speak with a bias, agenda or "off the cuff.

The only word that matters is that of the FO/Garda responsible for firearm licensing.
    ,and as regards FO ,my area does not seem to have an officer assigned ,so the gardai have told me :confused: ,they said that any garda on duty will handle firearms applications and queries
    Any Garda can take you application. However i would say that there is one or possibly two Gardaí in any station that will deal with them. Having any Garda that happens to be at the window deal with firearm applications as they come in is a recipe for disaster. It can lead to incorrectly signed forms, incorrectly processed forms, FCA1's going missing, etc.

From a purely administrative point of view most stations nominate one Garda to deal with this. While your station may be "light" in terms of a dedicated FO i'm sure there is someone acting in that position however temporary. My local has only one Garda in it. He is ot an FO, but my applications go into him. At the end of every week he takes any FCA1's, FCA2's or FCR's to the main local station for processing. You could have a similar situation.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

thanks for all your input ,i think i will put the safe in ,and see what they think ,worse case scenario i have to move it !

The two lads that i know with their gear in a safe in a garage are not connected/built onto the house. So the fact that you are building onto the house..................
    building a garage (solid block)onto the house ............
    ................. should only increase the possibility of it being approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I had mine in the garage for 8 years with no problem. And my garage wasn't connected to the house either.

and the fact that it will be in an alcove purpose built ,there will be not much room to get a crowbar in ,give or take a few mill, my next concern is the temperature ,even if i insulate around the safe it will still be subject to cold temps ,my idea was to keep the gun in a slip at all times ,any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The slip will hold moisture, You can get dehumidifiers for gunsafes or a heat bar which will raise the temperature in the safe so no moisture will build up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Officially there is no such thing as an FO, its just a term that gets used to refer to the guy in some stations that takes or is give responsibility for FA licensing. There is such a thing as a CPO and there job is to advise on thing like this. You should start with your local station and though them ask for the CPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

hi all,
    building a garage (solid block)onto the house at the moment,and have the opportunity to make a recess/alcove in either the floor or the wall to slot the gunsafe into and bolt into concrete ,but i have been told that the gardai will not like this location for the safe,and that they would want it within the house itself.As it stands i will only be applying for one o/u shotgun and don't need a safe but want to get one for piece of mind.
    What are your thoughts on the matter ?would this location be a problem ?

Thanks in advance!

I know a few people with their safes in the garage/shed, and have a number of firearms stored there and have the sanction of the FO no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

my next concern is the temperature ,even if i insulate around the safe it will still be subject to cold temps ,my idea was to keep the gun in a slip at all times ,any thoughts?

My thinking on this would be on how much your going to use the gun and how regular it will be cleaned and oiled. If its long periods between each clean then I'd do something but if its going to be looked after well it might not be that big of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

juice1304 wrote: »
    The slip will hold moisture, You can get dehumidifiers for gunsafes or a heat bar which will raise the temperature in the safe so no moisture will build up.

+1 on that, do not store in gun slip, light rub of oil over it will suffice for short term storage

wd 40? or do i have to pay the ridiculous money for the spray oil in my local gunshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Don't use WD40, if you think the bit extra you pay for proper oil which is an essential instead of WD40 is 'ridiculous money' you're getting into the wrong sport.

wd 40? or do i have to pay the ridiculous money for the spray oil in my local gunshop?

As above DO NOT use wd40. As for the price most gun oils are on a par with WD40. €6 - €12 for most every can i've bought.

As for storage. I've one of these coming so when it arrives i'll let you know if it works.

Blay wrote: »
    Don't use WD40, if you think the bit extra you pay for proper oil which is an essential instead of WD40 is 'ridiculous money' you're getting into the wrong sport.

i was merely asking a question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I've used the aerosol spray 3 in 1 oil for years and have never had a moments trouble with corrosion on any of my firearms. Don't mind all the horse crap you read in shooting magazines , they are merely marketing tools for manufacturers. you can get it from aldi for 3 cans for a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

When I applied for my first gun licence, my safe was inspected. I had it in a concrete, very well built garage and i was told to move it to the house. It was then inspected a second time. This was about 5 years ago in county Waterford. Hope this can help. The garage was not attached to the house

Shane.sf wrote: »
    When I applied for my first gun licence, my safe was inspected. I had it in a concrete, very well built garage and i was told to move it to the house. It was then inspected a second time. This was about 5 years ago in county Waterford. Hope this can help. The garage was not attached to the house

thanks,just wondering would the location of the house ,be it rural or urban have any effect on the location of the safe ,i realise that being in an urban area security may be more important.

Advertisement