Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non priority shower unit with no volt release???

Options
  • 08-11-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

I want a non priority shower where the unit does not switch if the second shower is left on by some one.

i.e.

Some one gets in shower one, someone tries shower two and realizes shower one is on as there is no power.

Leaves without turning off shower two.

Shower one finishes and shower two turns on as the button is left on even though there is no one there.

I want for it to switch over only if shower two is not pulling a current.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

cgarrad wrote: »
    I want a non priority shower where the unit does not switch if the second shower is left on by some one.

i.e.

Some one gets in shower one, someone tries shower two and realizes shower one is on as there is no power.

Leaves without turning off shower two.

Shower one finishes and shower two turns on as the button is left on even though there is no one there.

I want for it to switch over only if shower two is not pulling a current.

ya that's a problem
    i've said it a couple of times here it's surprising shower units themselves don't have no-volt release

can it be done without a no-volt release contactor+reset button for each shower?
    -that would be too much trouble anyhow
    and there's still some risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    ya that's a problem
    i've said it a couple of times here it's surprising shower units themselves don't have no-volt release

can it be done without a no-volt release contactor+reset button for each shower?
    -that would be too much trouble anyhow
    and there's still some risk

All an electric shower needs for no volt release is a simple small relay inside the shower unit, a start and stop button on the shower cover wired to the relay identical to a DOL setup, and the relay switches the pump and solenoid. Press start to run shower, stop to stop it, and if power to it goes, it wont come back on.

It would be simple for manufacturers to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya
    the contactor+reset i meant additions to controller for op obviously
    not much use anyhow

always seemed odd these controllers with this issue
    reci inspector wisely advised me not to make up my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Could probably be done just with reset buttons. The contactor that closes on shower 2 with its n/c contacts now open to stop it starting, could have hold on contacts to keep it energised until someone comes to use shower 2, and it wont start until they press the reset. 12 volt relays could be used as the hold on method, so reset button would be 12v.

Same for shower 1.

Messy though anyway.

No volt relays in the shower units themselves is the way. The pressure switch in a shower is what brings on the elements when the pump and solenoid are switched on. So the relay just has to switch them on with the start/stop DOL type setup. That`s all the start button on an electric shower switches on. This shower unit relay method would ensure a shower wont come on if a power cut happens mid shower and its not turned off also.

Advertisement