Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.MTS files

Options
  • 08-11-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me. I've taken a few videos on my new Sony camera and when I download them to my Windows XP laptop, the files come up as .mts files.

I've googled it and I get the impression that .mts files are compatible with the newer windows. I have downloaded "free" programs that offer to convert .mts files to .wmv files but when I actually try and do it, they'll only convert the first 3 minutes of the file and then you have to pay for the rest!

Has anyone experienced this and how can I get to play these videos on my relic laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Have you tried VLC Player?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if vlc doesn't work try https://ninite.com/ K-lite codecs and media player ( haven't tried CCCP )

VLC should be fine and that's what i'd try first. But if you say your laptop is old and you're shooting HD video then your laptop may struggle depending on how powerful it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Further to that....I have no problems playing files through VLC, but I need to convert files to apple pros res in order to edit in Final Cut Pro.

Anyone know any free software programs? Shooting on a Sony was a once in a blue moon scenario for me, so I have no intention forking out money to convert a few files.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

Handbrake.

The best free video converter on Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Format factory can convert anything to anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I discovered that if you have Final Cut Pro 7 onwards you can use the "Log and Transfer" option and it will transfer and convert your file straight from the camera. Or it will also do the same thing from a file, but once you transfer over the whole folder/file structure from card to your computer. It just won't recognise MTS files on their own. Handy out.

Incidentally, does Handbrake convert to Apple Pro Res?

Advertisement